Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Chick-Fil-A from Serious Eats
PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:47 am 

this a little off topic. We all love Chick Filet EXCEPT for the fact that they have a playroom with an orange car of some type attached to the ceiling. There is also a sign that says you can't play here if you are over 3 yrs of age. Can't tell you how that frosts our 4-yr old grandson.
fitzie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:05 pm 

Amy, I'm hovering a few meters shy of Nirvana, about 5000 feet from sea level. While I haven't reduced temps much, I often reduce time when deep frying here.

fitzie, oh gosh, that is so bad but I have to laugh. Getting them used to age discrimination early on, eh? Next a trip to the carnival where they are too short for the rides. <evil clown face>

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:45 am 

Most Recent Chick-Fil-A episode: This time I gave the breasts a good pounding with a mallet. Then over-brine for 24 hours. Pulled, dried off, and did the spice mix and used some pre-made Korean breading mix after the milk and egg wash. No sous vide. Instead they head up to the balcony and go on the Weber where I'm trying a vertical chicken. The food grate is at 200F and I leave them there for 45 minutes. Pulled them and they went to the fridge until time to eat.

When it was chow time, they were put in a warm oven for a few minutes to take the chill off. Then they went into a 375F oil bath for 60 seconds. They came out very nice. Not over done crust and the chicken is well cooked. Each breast has the gelatinous, non-stringy texture that the Serious Eats recipe is after, courtesy of the over-brine. And while quite spicy and peppery (even though I reduced the black pepper by 50 percent) the smokey flavor was right there. These were served without buns as a "taste test". They were part of a mix of thick homemade ground beef burgers, super-delish thick-cut, cured "ham chops" that were smoked with a rub of Tatonka Dust and a mountain of Belgian-style french fries.

I'll be doing the Chick-Fil-A like this again. Then refrigerate or freeze for future use. A one or two minute cook, if the oil is hot, makes a really wonderfully flavorful sandwich. And no vac packing required.

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:35 am 

Well, that sounds quite lovely; the meal and the chicken.