Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chocolate Blackout Cake
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:20 pm 

My son wanted me to bake CC Blackout Cake for the longest time. What took me so long? I was raised in Brooklyn, New York where this cake was made famous. The results were simply divine. I would make a few adjustments next time. I used Guittard unsweetened chocolate which was too fruity for my taste. Thinking of using Callebaut next time. Also, strain the pudding next time. Mix the corn starch with some of the milk before adding to the liquids. My crumb coating was not crumbly enough due to the humidity on the island. I will dry out the crumbs in the oven next time to prevent big chunks of crumbs. Thanks for letting me share :)

Lu

The cake was very moist and chocolatey. "Baby Jaden" said it was the best chocolate cake he ever had...I have to agree, this cake tops CI Devil's Food Cake.

My son is the best sous chef I know...can't believe he's already 9 :) He helped tear one of the layers for the crumb coating. Something about boys and getting their hands dirty.

I realize this looks like one big chocolate blob but stick with me on this one...

Ta-Da!

Come to Mama...

Post subject: Re: Chocolate Blackout Cake
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:33 pm 

Yummy looking cake, Lu. I haven't made that cake in awhile. Next time I want to make an egg yolk based chocolate pudding, since I thought that the pudding wasn't as good as I'd like.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 11:47 pm 

Lu, that is a wonderful cake and the you did a great job with the images. Baby Jaden (not so much a baby now is he? ) has great taste. Now, I want to try it.

Lu, Did you think the pudding was too sweet? I was looking at the pudding recipe for this cake and regular chocolate pudding recipes and there is way more sugar (1¼ cups). The 9/2011 choco pudding from CI has 1/2 cup sugar and the test recipe I have (I assume is for the same pudding since it was 6/2011) was 2/3 cups.

Nancy, where you planning to use that CI recipe or do you have another wonderful one that would work as a frosting?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:02 am 

Alina, thank you for your kind words. I didn't think the pudding was too sweet. I did have an issue with the grainy texture. The CI recipe looks wonderful! I have a feeling that recipe is better in terms of texture and probably taste. I like eggs in my pudding which gives it a silky texture. I will definitely give this one a try.

Lu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 11:03 am 

Lu
You just bought back fond memories....I lived and went to college in Brooklyn and this cake was the rage. I remember it well.....I am not big on chocolate (I know, un-American), but this cake was so moist, I could always eat a small piece.
Thanks for the trip down memory lane....the cake looks beautiful.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:24 pm 

I've never seen or heard of that cake, it looks wonderful. I may have to give it a try one day. Can you share the recipe?

Laurie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:28 pm 

Looks pretty good! I made that for Cary's first birthday, but I haven't made it since. Maybe it's getting to be time...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:35 pm 

Are we allowed to copy and paste from CC website? Sorry Fuzzy if I broke any rules. :o
I wasn't a huge fan of this pudding recipe despite the many compliments I received.

Lu

Chocolate Blackout Cake
From Cook's Country
October/November 2006

WHY THIS RECIPE WORKS:
Chocolate Blackout Cake was first made by a bakery in Brooklyn 35 years ago. We wanted to create a version that could be prepared long after the shop had shut its doors. To achieve this, we used Dutch-processed cocoa for big chocolate flavor, and added cocoa powder to the butter we were already melting for the cake. This method—toasting the cocoa in the butter—produced a cake that was dark and rich. And to complement the distinctive chocolate flavor of the Chocolate Blackout Cake, we wanted the pudding component of our recipe to taste sweet and dairy-rich. We achieved this by using a combination of milk and half-and-half, which gave the pudding a velvety quality.

Serves 10 to 12
Total time:

Be sure to give the pudding and the cake enough time to cool or you'll end up with runny pudding and gummy cake.

INGREDIENTS
Pudding
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon table salt
2 cups half-and-half
1 cup whole milk
6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Cake
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 stick), plus extra for greasing pans
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting pans
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
1 cup brewed coffee
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
INSTRUCTIONS
1. For the pudding: Whisk sugar, cornstarch, salt, half-and-half, and milk in large saucepan. Set pan over medium heat. Add chocolate and whisk constantly until chocolate melts and mixture begins to bubble, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in vanilla and transfer pudding to large bowl. Place plastic wrap directly on surface of pudding and refrigerate until cold, at least 4 hours or up to 1 day.

2. For the cake layers: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees. Butter and flour two 8-inch cake pans. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in bowl.

3. Melt butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in cocoa and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Off heat, whisk in coffee, buttermilk, and sugars until dissolved. Whisk in eggs and vanilla, then slowly whisk in flour mixture.

4. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans and bake until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool layers in pans 15 minutes, then invert onto wire rack. Cool to room temperature, at least 1 hour.

5. To assemble the cake: Cut each cake in half horizontally. Crumble one cake layer into medium crumbs and set aside. Place one cake layer on serving platter or cardboard round. Spread 1 cup pudding over cake layer and top with another layer. Repeat with 1 cup pudding and last cake layer. Spread remaining pudding evenly over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle cake crumbs evenly over top and sides of cake, pressing lightly to adhere crumbs. Serve. (Cake can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.)

ASSEMBLE BLACKOUT CAKE

1. Using your hands, crumble one cake layer into medium-sized crumbs.

2. Spread the pudding all over the top and sides of the cake.

3. Sprinkle the reserved cake crumbs all over the top and sides of the cake, then use your hands to gently press the crumbs into the pudding.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:07 pm 

Hi Alina,
I hadn't thought about where I'd get the substitute chocolate pudding recipe, though I figure a good place to start might be from the chocolate cream pie from CI. There's another one from a woman's magazine, I think from a few years ago (or more :shock: ) that is really tasty. I'm going to experiment at some point and report back. I have to figure that quantity of pudding matters here as well. I'll also check Eat your books to see what recipes I have at my finger tips.
Nancy