Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ethnic Mix-Cheese Blintzes using Mexican Cheese
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:34 am 

When I was in Boston I made cheese blintzes for DD from my her grandmother's recipe. I was able to find the right kind farmers cheese which I had not been able to for years. They were as good as I remembered them. I was leaving the next day, so did not really get to have more than the test one.

Once I got back to CA no real farmers cheese here, just the kind that looks like pressed mozzarella. So I decided to try Panela cheese. The consistency is similar to the cheese I used in Boston, albeit a tad saltier. I had looked at queso blanco but the package felt too pressed, more like a Fontina. Anyway, the panela worked. They were almost as good. I wish I could find fresh queso fresco, but not luck on that either. Anyway, I now have a whole bunch frozen to enjoy in the weeks to come. I tweaked my blintz sheet recipe in the process as well ending up with a 2-1-1 ratio which created thin perfect blintz sheets.

One thing I did which made them work was that I mixed the batter in an 8 cup measuring cup and poured into the 8" buttered pan. I then swirled and poured the excess out onto a smaller measuring cup. When I was done with the original batter, I then made more from the excess batter in the measuring cup. They were the right thickness using this method and there was no wasted batter. The little overhang gave me a place to lift to use the tongs to turn. Anyway thought I'd share.

Post subject: Re: Ethnic Mix-Cheese Blintzes using Mexican Cheese
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:06 pm 
Site Admin

Blintz sheet?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:29 pm 

Fyi, whole foods near me (south bay, no. cal) carries friendship farmers cheese. I love blintzes. Am planning to make some and to try my hand at cannoli (have amassed a number of cannoli recipes and will try to tweak them to come to the best version).
Nancy

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:54 am 

Unfortunately no whole foods in Chico. My first mother in law always called the crepes blintz sheets, not sure why. Maybe an incorrect translation from Yiddish? Her blintz recipe gives blintz sheets that are thinner than most common crepes. She always made them into rectangles rather than cigar style. Anyway, hers were the best, as were her knishes. Unfortunately somewhere along the way I lost that recipe. All I remember is that she used some of the water from cooking the potatoes in the pastry dough.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:36 am 

Most of the stores here carry farmers cheese. Mom used it in her pierogies.

I dream a dream of home...Where there’s coffee on the table...And kindness in your hand- Lyle Lovett