It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Wings!!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:00 am 

Wino.....the wings were a hit and I left the leftovers for her. Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:41 am 

Passed down from Joe Montana!

Here's a recipe from the legend himself -- he actually WON a cooking contest with it.

Servings:4

Difficulty: Easy

Cook Time: 30-60 min

Football players may be on the clock most fall Sundays, but come Super Bowl, most are watching along with the rest of us. And these men know how to eat. Hall of fame quarterback Joe Montana shared his ultimate game day grub you’ll want in on this one. Celebrate like the sport’s insiders with his recipe for dry rub chicken wings.

Ingredients
2 pounds of Chicken Wings - tips removed
1/2 teaspoon Lawry's Seasoning
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons olive oil

Cooking Directions

Remove tips from chicken wings and dry wings to remove any extra liquid and set to rest.

Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix.

Place chicken wings in a large bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and rub evenly into chicken wings.

Sprinkle half of the dry rub on top of the chicken wings and rub it in evenly. Flip wings and sprinkle the remaining rub onto the wings. Rub evenly.

Place a baker's rack over the top of a cookie sheet and line the rack with the wings.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes and then flip and bake for another 10 minutes. Then turn the BROILER on for an additional 10 minutes to help make crispy.

Remove from oven and enjoy.

Recipe courtesy of Joe Montana.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:10 pm 

Several months ago I finally had a chance to eat at Mission Chinese ( in San Francisco) and we loved all the dishes we had. And the CHICKEN WINGS are fantastic! Determined to find the recipe, I searched high and low; found the recipe published in a 2013 issue of LUCKY PEACH magazine. So happy to have found it and will share it with you:
http://lky.ph/post/61786926500/mission- ... cken-wings

I've made these six times and each batch turned out great. The one thing I'm still tinkering with, is getting the sichuan peppercorn spice "right". When you eat these at Mission Chinese, you get the familiar tingly feeling on your lips. When I've made them, there isn't as much of the tingle sensation. I assume it has to do with the quality of the peppercorn, and/or the grinding of the peppercorn and subsequent sifting out the white husk part? I should start a thread about the sichuan peppercorn to recap what I've been finding/trying and asking for input...

For the purpose of this thread: these wings are THE BOMB, even if the sichuan peppercorn you use, isn't 'strong enough' to give a full-tingle-on-the-lips sensation. Still tasty!

And you'll notice the recipe has you par-baking the wings, THEN FREEZING - and going straight from the freezer into the fryer. It does make for a super crispy skin. I hope you try this sometime.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:51 pm 

I tried the Mission Chinese wings. Loved the wings, but we got a LOT of tingle; too much. For the sichuan peppercorns i have, I'd cut way down next time. Will make again.

Tonight, we had wings 2 ways:
  • Chicken Popsicles. This is the middle joint, with the small bone removed and the meat pushed down to one end of the larger bone and turned inside out. I breaded them with Panko and lightly served. A hit with the wife and the toddler. And I liked them too :) Kind of fun presentation. The skin is on the inside, so they are quite fatty, you'll only want a couple or so.
  • WIngs ala Adria in his Family Cookbook. This is nothing like typical NA wings. They are very slow cooked in a pan, then with cooked with a ton of garlic, some thyme, bay, wine and finished with mushrooms. Extremely rich (the recommend serving is 3, but that is as a course in 3 courses), and very lovely taste; also extremely easy.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:02 pm 

Hi Paul: I have the Adria cookbook and will have to make those. Sounds tasty.

and the Chicken popsicles also sound WONDERFUL. I googled and didn't find what sounded like the recipe you described. Did you just wing it (no pun intended) or did you follow a recipe? If a recipe, can you post a link? The description reminds me of a fav Thai dish: "stuffed chicken wings". I've eaten many different versions. Found this YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB4AWF8FVBo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:04 pm 

For the popsicles I just used standard breading; season, wait a bit, coat in flour, egg and panko. Deep fry till the look good.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:15 am 

I have been making chicken popsicles with small legs. There is a grocery here who sells drumsticks as a loss leader for $0.59 a pound. So last week I bought 15 pounds and smoked them. They are in the freezer, and will come out for a bbq next weekend.

You cut the skin around the very end before the "knob" of the ankle, use a kitchen towel to pull the ankle bone off, and then use a pair of needle nose pliers to pull out the tendons. I push the meat down towards the other end and then it shrinks up when cooking and looks just like the smaller wing popicles on a larger scale. Kids like them because the nasty bits are removed. ;)

It's a pain but they are easy and fun to eat. We prepped 15 pounds (about 45 legs) in just over 90 mins.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:36 am 

OMG that does sound delicious!! Yes a bit of prep work but I enjoy that (at least what you describe; the reward is worth the effort!). Thanks for the input - will have to try. and PS: smoking them too?? Love the smoked meats....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:43 pm 

NyTimes is finally catching on. Duh!

The last time I just brined em, tossed with S&PPPP, grilled em, then tossed with fresh bird's eye (very thinly sliced) and scallions. Very good!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:39 am 

We had wings last night. I separate them, boil 10 minutes, dredge in seasoned flour, bake then sauce them. They get nice and crispy without the grease and mess of frying. And no matter how fancy they get with their wings, I will always have a special fondness for the Buffalo variety.

Mary