Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Edible Failures: Custard
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:48 pm 

Well, with a brother-in-law visiting after he graduated from college here in the Philippines and on his way to his new job, we need to do a bit of a celebration. So both banana cream pie and egg custard are back in the rotation. We are going to follow Amy's suggestion of covering the bain marie when we cook the egg custard pie or tart. I ran into an interesting (to me anyhow) website that is primarily aimed at cooking/baking at altitude called The Elevated Kitchen and they talked about tenting the bain marie with foil. Which is what will likely happen. I have a large-sized roasting pan for turkey that has pretty high sides. It is probably twice as tall at the AC lasagna pan I've been using as bain marie for custards. So, where Amy suggested using two pans to give the bain marie some height, I will use a larger (and taller) roasting pan then simply cover it with foil.

The banana cream was made with a crust commercially premade and purchased at a grocery store. This time we will make our own. We have graham crackers. I am debating whether to use a regular or pseudo graham crust. Regular is where the pie crust is the traditional graham cracker primarily, or go with a pseudo graham crust that uses a regular pie crust but coating both the inside and outside with graham cracker crumbs, a technique recommended by CI or so I've heard. Anyone tried it?

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines