Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cooking from the freezer VI
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:28 am 

I'm again starting the challenge today. Our garage frige/freezer has to be empty by Thanksgiving. After that everything in the freezer thaws and the frige freezes. So it has to be emptied. I hate not having the additional space, but hate tossing food even more.

Took sausages out for tonights dinner. We'll have shrimp and grits tomorrow night, so shrimp comes out in the morning. And on we go......

Laurie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:09 am 

Sorry for the delay in answering your query, Fuzzy. I got the edible gold spray at a wedding cake supply store. It was a little pricey (I thought) but it did last quite a while before the nozzle plugged up. It was for a Christmas wedding and the centerpieces were pine, lady apples and pears with a lily or two thrown in for good measure. We sprayed the apples and the pears. I honestly don't remember what I paid for it.

fitzie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:41 pm 

My latest freezer excursion: Black Cod (sablefish). Vac pack'd with thyme, tarragon and olive oil (herbs in a bit of plastic wrap to stop too direct flavour transfer). SV'd at 55.6 C for a bit. Served with rice, chantrelles, steamed broccli. Damn I love black cod, and this is a really delicious way to prepare it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:56 am 

Used 2 1/2 pounds of extra lean ground beef from the freezer to make Tamale Pie (it's a CI recipe Hiba posted on her blog, no idea what book/mag it was in but it doesn't match the one in my ATK book) on Friday night and Tacos (penzey's taco blend) on Sunday. Leftover taco meat portioned out for lunches for the kids and back in the freezer.
Added 12 containers of pasta sauce and about 120 meatballs back to the freezer, but I was out of sauce and meatballs so it's all good. :-)
I also used my last bag of Darcie's pancake recipe on Sunday morning (after a 7 am hockey practice :roll: ), need to mix up a few more and stash the bags in the freezer. I bag all the dry ingredients so the prep is easy. We had 2 of the kids and dads back for breakfast...mucho raves on the pancakes. Used some frozen blueberries in some pancakes and made a quick raspberry sauce with some frozen raspberries.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

Paul,

Mmmmmm, I love sablefish. Don't see it too often on this coast.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:22 pm 

So, I'm currently looking for new employment and really am going to concentrate on freezer and pantry cooking. Last night - korean ribs (aka miami ribs depending on the butcher) with roasted red and sweet potatoes and edaname. I bought 50 lbs of russets and reds in the fall so trying to use those up.
Tonight - salmon fillets (probably CI's soy/maple glaze), basmati rice and corn from the freezer.
Am thinking Indian (butter chicken) on Friday night since I also have frozen samosas and can use up any leftover rice.
I'm trying to take out what I will make the night before and planning ahead. And making enough that the four of us all have lunch the next day, although the kids do have a bought lunch at the school 1-2 days/week.
We have LOTS of steaks from a hockey meat fundraiser and will likely have that Sunday for my yougest guy's birthday. He's a big steak guy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:37 pm 

Tonight - 4 steaks from the freezer (I gave blood today and my levels were borderline for me not to be able to donate so figured red meat was a good choice) as well as a Kirkland baguette (they sell them parbaked), potatoes from the cold cellar and carrots from the fridge. All made by DH since I was really tired.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:07 pm 

Last night - a 5 pound bag of boneless skinless chicken legs - some went into a butter chicken sauce, some into a rogen josh sauce (both purchased KFI brand sauces) and some cooked in teriyaki for the kids who didn't want Indian food. Also used up some samosas. Lunch was chicken soup with broth from the freezer.
Today - bacon wrapped tenderloins with garlic shrimp pasta.
I emptied and resorted the freezer on Friday night too so now can find things easier. Added 32 CI blueberry scones (ready to bake) to the freezer which used up some butter/blueberries.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:22 am 

Jean - just getting caught up - are you looking for new employment by choice? I hope so! If not, best of luck to you on your job search. My hubby was out of work for a few months, but he ended up finding a job he likes more with a better salary! Here's to the same result for you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:18 am 

Hi Darcie, unfortunately no...my company is relocating to Houston from Toronto and they cut all IT projects so cut the entire team of business analysts the day after we came back from vacation. :( I'm hoping to find something soon, the summer camps my boys want to go to fill up fast and I can't enroll them until I know we'll be able to pay for them. ;) I've got all my fingers crossed and am searching pretty agressively.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next