Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recipe mutations
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:14 am 

So I had some extra bananas, and went looking for a banana peanut butter cookie recipe. Found one that looked ok, started to mix it and discovered that, as written it did not have the egg I had just added. So I baked a test cookie. I added another egg, way more nuts and chocolate chips and so on until I had a cookie I really liked.
I posted about it on another forum, where a fellow baker changed out some of the sugar and made other adjustments.
Now a third version has been created, with maple syrup instead of sugar, banana chips, loads of chopped pecans and bacon bits.
I love the way people are making the cookie they want, not just following the recipe. Any recipes that you guys adapted to suit, that you have taken even further by others? It does sort of make the kind of people who will sue you for calling your pecan-chocolate chunk-bourbon pie “derby pie” look like idiots.

Post subject: Re: Recipe mutations
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:03 pm 
Site Admin

Folks don't tell me when they take my recipes and change them. I'm sure they do, I just don't hear about it.

The US Supreme Court did us a huge favor in 1890ish when they ruled that cooking recipes were not copyrightable.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:18 pm 

I usually make recipes as they are, the first time, just to see if I would want to change it. Except, of course, adding more heat, and maybe garlic - I rarely make a recipe with just one clove, the reason that I planted 172 of them for this year.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:50 am 

Becky,are you willing to share your recipe? It sounds yummy!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:20 am 

I do the same as Dave for the 1st time and then tweak until I have a recipe that fits our tastes. I've done this many times with the old (and overly fussy), too-many-steps CI recipes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:32 am 

I almost never make a recipe as written, except when baking. I’ll taste as I go and adjust as I feel is needed. Even the first time. It’s rare that I think something is seasoned perfectly as written.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:12 am 

I try to make recipes as written the first time. However like Dave, I always increase the amount of garlic. Unlike Dave though, I lower the heat, often substituting grains of paradise for the black pepper. I tend to use CI's fussy way the first time when cooking but not baking. I use the microwave instead of bowl over boiling water, whisk instead of sifting my flour (though I always weigh) and often switch the order of adding dry to wet in order to save number of bowls.

I also routinely decrease the amount of sugar especially powdered sugar in frostings. I am pretty fearless when baking cakes (unlike pies which I do exactly as told). I usually increase vanilla, add other flavorings, e.g., butternut or fiori di scilia (KAF). I sub egg sizes as well and sub yogurt for buttermilk.