Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Limoncello
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:07 pm 

It's that time of year again. A whole bunch of meyer lemons begging to be made into limoncello and other things. :mrgreen:

Post subject: Re: Limoncello
PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:14 pm 

Oh good. I'll start looking for them in the market. I want to make some preserved lemons this year.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:57 pm 
Site Admin

Phoenix,

You have a recipe for Meyer Lemoncello? I happen to have a bunch, too ...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:34 pm 

Fuzzy,

The best recipe for limoncello is on Egullet. It is about 87 pages long but excellent.

The secrets are 1 lime per dozen lemons, microplane the lemons, 100 proof Smirnoff vodka, double sweet sugar syrup to control the alcohol/sweet balance to achieve 30% alcohol.

I have a posting the the algebra for the balance.

Go for it.

Tim

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:07 pm 
Site Admin

Tim,

Uh, why is the recipe 87 pages long?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:28 pm 

Hey All,
I have a limoncello recipe from a woman in Amalfi and use meyer lemons instead of regular. Makes really good limoncello:

Ingredients:
Zest of 6 or 7 large fresh lemons (or 10 small fresh lemons) (I use 10)
1 litre or quart of pure grain alcohol or vodka (I use Everclear)
1250 ml or 5 cups water
700 grams or 3 cups sugar
Large glass jar (large enough to hold the peeled lemon zest and alcohol)

Peel the zest from the lemons with a vegetable peeler and place
them in the large glass jar. Try to avoid the white pith.
Add the alcohol to the jar. Cover the glass jar and store it in a cool place for 7 days.

On the 6th day boil the water and add the sugar to the boiling water. stir in the sugar until it is fully dissolved in the water. Set the sugar water aside to cool overnight.
On the 7th day (sounds biblical doesn't it?)
Strain the lemon peels from the alcohol and discard the peels.
Add the sugar syrup to the alcohol. Serve chilled from the refrigerator or freezer.
Note:
This limoncello will keep for one to two years. Just store in bottle(s) with a cap or cork, in your bar or cellar.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:26 am 

Thanks for posting this recipe Phoenix....the recipe I have has the lemon peel steeping in the alcohol for 8 weeks. I am impatient so I like the idea of 7 days.
Ilene

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:48 pm 

TheFuzzy wrote:
Tim,

Uh, why is the recipe 87 pages long?

Fuzzy,

Actuall, 16 pages. There is an extensive discussion which does bring out many excellent ideas.

[quote name='KatieLoeb' timestamp='1080840608' post='561574']
Since I seem to be the proclaimed "Limoncello Queen of eGullet" I'll give you my super easy recipe.

The limoncello is fairly simple. Take the peels of one dozen lemons + 1 lime (that's the secret!) either removed with a vegetable peeler, or microplaned off. I think the infusion goes much faster with the microplaned little shreds of peel as there's more surface area exposed to the alcohol.

Place the peels into an airtight container (I use a large screwtopped jar) and cover with one bottle of 100 proof vodka (I use 100 proof Smirnoff). The higher alcohol level seems to get better extraction from the peels. Place the jar in a safe place (on top of my refrigerator works for me!) for at least two weeks, giving it an occasional shake and sniff to check on it. You'll be able to see the vodka turning bright yellow as it pulls the flavorful oils from the peels. When the peels no longer look colorful and the vodka doesn't seem to be gaining any more visible color or scent, it's done. Filter through a coffee filter or cheesecloth into a large bottle or jar and press down to remove all the vodka and oils that you can from the peels. Add a 1:1 simple syrup (I usually start with 2 cups water to two cups sugar, boiled lightly until completely dissolved and syrupy and cooled off) and then thin further with approximately another 750 ml bottle of your favorite regular vodka. If it needs to be cut down or sweetened further, just use filtered or bottled water and more simple syrup. It's really a matter of taste as to how sweet and/or strong you like it. You can also make "Orangecello" the same way. It's quite tasty too!

You could, if you wanted to, use Everclear grain alcohol for the extraction, however, I find that it makes for a much harsher tasting end result. I find that the 100 proof vodka and then flavoring/thinning to taste with simple syrup, more regular decent neutral vodka (last batch I used Denaka from Denmark) and a little filtered or bottled water seems to get the best and most palatable results.
[/quote]

[quote name='tim' timestamp='1228829100' post='1624082']

You can calculate the algebraic percentage of alcohol in the finished product.

You begin with 25.4 ounces of 100 proof (50% ABV) vodka. When you finish, measure the total volume. Divide 25.4 by the total volume and multiply by 100 to get the final proof.

Using a higher ratio of sugar in your simple syrup is very easy. For you to get that 60 proof limoncello, you will want to add 8 ounces of simple syrup.

It is very easy to dissolve 8 ounces of sugar in 8 ounce of water. I usually run the sugar for 5 seconds in a food processor to make instantly dissolving sugar. I also heat the water slowly while stirring.

You might want to begin with about 6 ounces of the sugar syrup to allow you to adjust the sweetness.

You may also find that you want to add more simple syrup to the limoncello. In this case, for every ounce of syrup, you will add 1/3 ounce of 80 proof vodka.

Good luck,

Tim
[/quote]

I also find that cheap 151 vodka is excellent.

Oranges should be infused for two weeks at most to prevent bitterness.

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:13 pm 
Site Admin

Tim, Phoenix,

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:43 pm 

It's interesting that the part I left out of the recipe, lazy me, was that you might try to find a greenish lemon and add the peel. Similar to the lime peel in the other recipe.