PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:56 am 

The Iceman Cometh: The Rise of a Gourmet Ice Entrepreneur. via

Post subject: Re: Gourmet Ice
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:15 am 

That's pretty cool...(pun intended).

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:40 am 

Why didn't we think of that....can we just freeze water in mini ( or regular) muffin tins for a similar block affect?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:59 pm 

gardnercook wrote:
Why didn't we think of that....can we just freeze water in mini ( or regular) muffin tins for a similar block affect?

But it won't be double filtered and aged. I'm sure it won't be as good. :twisted:

I can understand wanting filtered water in your ice, but a lot of the other stuff he is talking about sounds like going overboard just for the sake of going overboard (and presumably charging extra). Lucky for me, I like my whiskey neat.

" Food that`s too safe, too pasteurized, too healthy - it`s bad! There should be some risk, like unpasteurized cheese. Food is about rot, and decay, and fermentation.as much as it is also about freshness."

-Anthony Bourdain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:04 pm 

But it won't be double filtered and aged. I'm sure it won't be as good. :twisted:

Right and I would never know the difference...I have a decent palate, but it's never been that good. :D
ilene

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:10 pm 

It kind of reminds me of something that happened at Christmas. My SIL asked for one of those electric kettles. My brother (not married to her) got her one. It came with different temperature settings for different kinds of tea and coffee, which is actually kind of cool. But, in order to be extra thorough, my brother and his wife took the kettle out of the box and heated water to each of the settings, then did a taste test, concluding that water at some settings tasted "overboiled." I had a little trouble with the straight face when that present was opened. I think gourmet ice is the same kind of thing. A good idea taken way too far.

" Food that`s too safe, too pasteurized, too healthy - it`s bad! There should be some risk, like unpasteurized cheese. Food is about rot, and decay, and fermentation.as much as it is also about freshness."

-Anthony Bourdain

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:49 pm 

TLC Tim wrote:
It kind of reminds me of something that happened at Christmas. My SIL asked for one of those electric kettles. My brother (not married to her) got her one. It came with different temperature settings for different kinds of tea and coffee, which is actually kind of cool. But, in order to be extra thorough, my brother and his wife took the kettle out of the box and heated water to each of the settings, then did a taste test, concluding that water at some settings tasted "overboiled." I had a little trouble with the straight face when that present was opened. I think gourmet ice is the same kind of thing. A good idea taken way too far.
I think I got that kettle for Christmas myself actually... :)

The instructions caution to use fresh and not reboiled water for tea as it adversely affects the tea flavor... :?:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:37 pm 

If I leave the kettle on the stove and just reheat it instead of getting fresh water, after about three cups of tea the mineral taste is much stronger and the beverage tastes flat.
I suspect that the amount of water vapor lost, along with the depletion of oxygen, is the cause.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:36 pm 
Site Admin

Becky, Pete,

I've been told (without scientific evidence, so take this with a tablespoon of salt) that boiling gets rid of some of the dissolved oxygen in the water which then causes twice-boiled water to have a "flat" taste in tea.

Coffee isn't so fussy ...