Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paris
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:19 am 

I hesitated to begin a thread here before I had at least one food picture posted.

We flew out of Philly Friday night in the middle of the big snowstorm. We'll be in Paris until a week from Thursday.

Sunday was the first Sunday of the month, which means that many of the big Paris museums had free admission. We visited the Cluny museum, Sainte-Chapelle (old church on Ile de Cite that's all stained glass), the Conciergerie (where Marie antoinette was imprisoned) and the Pompidou Center (modern art). Yesterday Marygott arrived from Switzerland so we headed out in search of Moules Frites, which we found a few blocks from our apartment in Montmartre. Last night we went to Chez Omar, which specializes in couscous.

Not sure what's on the agenda for today.

Pictures can be found at http://www.flickr.com/photos/71511153@N ... 244653009/

Post subject: Re: Paris
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:25 am 

Well how exciting is that! We'll have to travel to Paris vicariously thru you, Kathy and Mary! I look forward to hearing about your trip. Have a fun and safe visit.

Laurie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:13 am 

Pete
Thanks for posting....I love Paris and am reliving my visit through your pictures....the apartment looks great, too
ilene

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:56 am 

Pete,
Thanks for posting! Great pictures.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:28 pm 

More food pictures posted. We cooked some excellent scallops from the local fishmonger (we were good customers during our last visit) finished with a bit from a bottle of Bergerac that Mary had picked out at the wine merchant.

Wednesday is the day for our big cooking class at "Cook'n with Class". We expect to be able to veto if the chef suggests a seafood lunch (especially scallops). Not that there's anything wrong with scallops, but we're hoping to broaden our horizon somewhat...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:25 pm 

Be glad that not only are you in Paris, but you're getting to miss the Big Snow. Id pretty impressive in the DC area....
Great pics!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:00 am 

What wonderful pictures - I haven't been to Paris in a few years and would love to go back soon! As a museum freak I loved the unicorn tapestry pics (the green ones are in The Cloisters in NY). Food looks fabulous. What an amazing trip you are having - more pics please!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:23 pm 

Oh, such wonderful pics. I know your having the time of your lives. Hope you had a blast at Cooking with Class today!

Between my Dad, our house disaster and this snowstorm :( I'm living vicariously thru you.
Please keep sending pics!

Nancy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:09 pm 

Based on the time you posted you might have seen them, Nancy, but I've posted pictures of our cooking class.

It wasn't inexpensive, and going in we were a little skeptical about what the experience would be (particularly having prepared a very passable scallops dinner in the apartment last night). It really exceeded all of our expectations. In addition to the shops pictured we spent time in a well-run fromagerie (our chef Bernadette warned us that they were a little more traditional and didn't like people photographing inside the shop). We had several good wines with our meal, and it was good to share the experience with several other people from different places (one woman from Hong Kong living in NYC, another living in Montana with her husband; they both work for a hunting & fishing outfitter and have essentially the Winters off to travel). The class ran from 9:30 to about 3:45 PM.

We're keeping an eye on the snowfall at home and hoping we can get the door open when we return...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:57 pm 

Wow. The class looks like it was a lot of fun! And the shops, oh-la-la!!! :D
Thanks for shaing Pete!
Nancy