Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dinner at (No.) 7
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:18 pm 

We've been hearing news about NYC's No. 7 since we met Tim & his DW Lib in NYC a couple of summers ago. We met their son Matt at a restaurant on Manhattan. At the time Matt was in the very early stages of opening a new restaurant. No. 7 opened last year, and has been well received by the food press, including the NY Times and Bon Appetit.

Finally last weekend we made it to No. 7. This was no secret shopper visit - Matt knew we were coming and took care of us.

Kathy & Matt at the bar (Did I mention is was a lousy, rainy day in NYC? We were both a bit soggy by dinnertime).

Menu. You can see the inventiveness here.

Now, some apologies - I kept forgetting to take photos until halfway though a course - so some of these pictures are of a half-eaten course. I'll post pics of a pristene plate, and link to the half eaten ones...

The bread is served with a kind of cheddar-and-wine dipping sauce and half-sour pickles.

I had the (legendary) Fried Broccoli appetizer, and Kathy chose the Grilled Octopus appetizer.

My entree was the Wagyu Bavette steak. Kathy didn't order an entree, but Matt surprised her with a plate of fluke sashimi.

For dessert, Matt surprised us again with a Parsnip Panna Cotta with Cranberries and Pureed Parsley (another half-eaten photo, sorry!)

Kathy played the part of the proud surrogate mother for the evening, chatting up our table neighbors about why they happened to be there, what did they think, etc. One couple was in town from Austin, and were eating at No. 7 based on the Bon Appetit article. The other neighbor was a woman and her son celebrating his having a paper published.

In short, everything was reeeaally good (I'm not a food critic). We'll be back in NYC next weekend, and we know we'll be back at No. 7 for dinner.

Post subject: Re: Dinner at (No.) 7
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:20 pm 

Kathy & Pete
Thanks for posting all of this. I will be in NYC in Spring and will now make and effort to get to #7
ilene

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:34 pm 
Site Admin

Pete,

Pictures first next time! Just keep the camera on the table.

I'll tell my cousin in Brooklyn about No. 7.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:15 pm 

Thanks for posting. The food looks awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:32 pm 

Hi,

Will you let a proud father provide you with travel suggestions?

Take the C train (the front of the train is best) to the Lafayette Avenue/Fulton Street station. Walk toware the front of the train to the east end of the station. There are 4 or 6 exits; take the Greene Avenue exit. The entrance to No. 7 Restaurant is at the top of the stairs.

Give Matt a hug from Mom and Dad:

The restaurant's website has lots of fun stuff. The wine list is wonderful and they also have some really nice draft microbrews. No. 7 Website

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:12 pm 

Thanks Tim. I'm looking forward to going after the holidays. And yes, you do deserve to be a proud papa!!! :P

Nancy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:44 pm 

Great pic's and info. Looks like a great time.

L

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:23 pm 

Tim wrote:
Take the C train
Yeah, that would have been a good idea. Given that we were coming from Rockefeller Center on the B Train I got seduced by the B-D-M-N-Q-R-2-3-4-5 Atlantic/Pacific station that was a couple of blocks over on Flatbush Ave (even on the city map it looks OK) but it was less pleasant in the umbrella-destroying weather.

We're staying a half block off 8th avenue Sunday night so we'll end up on the C train this time, I'm sure.

Post subject: No. 7 Sub Opens in Mid-Town Manhattan
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:29 am 

Hi,

Our son, Matt Suchomski is opening No. 7 Sub at the Ace Hotel at Broadway & 29th St. in Manhattan. The NY Times has an article this Wednesday. Today's NY Times blog has the story.

No. 7 Sub

This experience has given me a whole new respect people in the restaurant business. Being the Managing Partner of a restaurant, a subway shop and a supplier bakery involves a combination of financing/business expertise with people and property management. Translate that to 18 hours per day and not enough time to celebrate or enjoy success.

And most new restaurants do not succeed - it's shameful to complain.

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:25 am 

Congrats Tim! I am in awe of people who run restaurants... such an enormous amount of work and dedication. My NYC trip has been pushed back to the summer but I still have no 7 on the short list (and now even more convenient!).

Mary