Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Martha's Vineyard
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:30 am 

We're going to Martha's Vineyard this Thursday for 5 days (Jose permitting :? ). Anyone have any restaurant recos? I noticed a few of the good outdoor seafood stands are already closed for the season. We're staying near Menemsha but will have our car.
TIA, as always -
Nance

Post subject: Re: Martha's Vineyard
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:18 pm 

HI, Nancy, I have not logged on in some time -- it's funny to see a question about MV, something I know about. We go every summer and have been for many years. We keep vowing to go for longer. I always thought going in the off-season would be great. So, let us know how it's goes. Really hoping Jose stays away for your sake and mine!

If the shacks (Larsen's, the Bite etc) are closed for the season pick up something at the Chilmark General Store and take it to Menemsha with a beach blanket and watch the sunset. There's a wide variety on the menu.

I really like Ken N' Beck in OB (Oak Bluffs) for regular sit down dinner. Obama used to eat at Sweet Life regularly when he was on island, also in OB. We always, always make reservations but I have no idea what's happening now in September.

We ate the Charlotte Inn this summer but I was a bit disappointed. It was a last minute reservation (the only one I could get) so I took it. The food was tasty service excellent but way over priced. Nice ambiance though.

I would say go and explore, check out the usual suspects for reviews, Yelp, TripAdvisor others? The good (and bad) thing about the Vineyard is that it's well traveled and well reviewed.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:01 pm 

Perfect timing for you to log on Ivy and thanks so much for the recommendations (which I just printed)!

We're staying at an AirBNB in Chilmark. The cottage includes 2 passes to Lucy Vincent Beach so a special thanks for the Chilmark General Store recommendation. We're definitely hoping for and planning on at least one sunset on the beach (do you hear that Jose??? :x )

I'll report back after 9/27.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:28 pm 

That's a wonderfully scenic beach. The area used to be called Gay Head but the name changed a few years ago to honor the first peoples to Aquinnah. Down the beach was Jackie O's place....!

You might want to check the tidal charts for low/high tide times. We did not and there was practically no beach when we visited last month.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:46 pm 

Update: We had to cancel our trip after being stuck in Falmouth for 1 1/2 days. Jose stalled over the Cape/Islands and all Ferry Service was suspended for 36+ hours. The weather was just horrendous - monsoon rains, wind gusts up to 65 mph, and cold (low 50's). We're so disappointed :( .

We did, however, have some delicious oysters in Falmouth!
Nancy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:47 pm 

Nancy - so sorry! Sounds awful. Mid hurricane season is a tricky time. One summer we were on MV for two weeks and it rained for 12 days. The day we arrived and the day we left were sunny. It was so moist mushrooms grew between the cracks in the linoleum in the first floor half bath. I kid you not. I have a picture of it somewhere! We had small kids and it was not fun to be housebound on an island. I hope you will give it a try sometime in the future. What happened with your airbnb? Did they take pity on you and refund some of your stay?