Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Had a bit of food tourism in Martinique
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:27 am 

I wish I'd had more time here! Sadly, it was just a half day stop (we were on a cruise). If I can ever make it back, it's on my bucket list!

Here's the market. I wasn't sure what could or couldn't be brought back, so I nabbed some curry powder. My cabin smelt delicious for the rest of the trip, as did my luggage. It made a fantastic chicken curry when we got back. But the spices, produce, sauces, syrups, vanilla beans (and rums!)....VRBO would be the way to go!!!

(Oh shoot...I'll be back. Photos are too large).

Post subject: Re: Had a bit of food tourism in Martinique
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:31 pm 

Ok, here's try #2 with pictures.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:34 pm 

Hmmm...sorry, I seem to have lost resolution with shrinking them enough to upload.

Here's my lunch and T'punch (basically rum, sugar, and a squeeze of lime).

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:18 pm 
Site Admin

Carey,

What are you using to shrink them? It seems to have a lot of trouble with resampling.

Anyway, that sounds like fun, I'd love to go to Martinique. The food there is supposed to be super-spicy ... was it?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:41 am 

I just emailed them to myself with the small option chosen and saved the attachments (iPhone).

I didn't find things that hot in terms of spice. Everything had lots of flavor, but a medium level of heat. But it could be that I got the tourist level of spice. OTOH, my curry powder came with a warning about using coconut milk to temper the spice, and I found it to be quite mild once cooked (without the coconut milk). With the African influences I suspect it's one of those places where you can easily find spicy food though if you're looking for it.

My lunch was their creole chicken (smothered in garlic) and it was delicious. In hindsight I would have had chicken or fish with colombe sauce if I had known at the time what it was (it's their national curry sauce).

One of the refreshing things there was that you need to use your French to get around. Unlike elsewhere, people there don't speak English. Just French and Creole (and their French is heavily creole accented). They could understand me just fine, but I struggled a bit with them. But I found that on some of the other islands too in English. I liked it because it wasn't touristy.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:51 am 

Oh, I forgot to mention, the pastries looked phenomenal! We couldn't sample them as we were too full, but the bakeries were amazing! Lots of hole in the wall curry joints too that wafted delicious smells out at you, and we had gelato that was on par with what you get in Italy. It seemed like a great place for food.

The British and Dutch islands not so much...I only had one lunch (blackened grouper with rice and pidgeon peas) that was memorable (on St. Kitts). Might have been where we chose to go though...that one was a recommendation from a local. The rest we just wandered around and picked wherever looked good (a hit or miss strategy).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:46 pm 

Looks great!