Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boston
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:30 am 

We're going to Boston the first weekend in May and are looking for moderately priced recommendations for hotels, restaurants and any other food-related activities. We'll be there for a long weekend w/o a car, taking Amtrak from NYC.

Any thoughts are appreciated. I haven't been in over 20 years and Russ has never been so we're basically newbies. I'm also picking up a few books from the library. Was thinking of staying in the Beacon Hill area?

Nance

Post subject: Re: Boston
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:49 pm 

Nancy-
Would you consider a B&B? I cannot recommend a specific one but I know there are many in Boston that would make being without a car convenient. I have to think more about restaurants because we usually dine in the outskirts of the city and not in Boston, plus I have not worked in Boston in 10+ years. Having said that, last night we did eat at TRADE Restaurant (Judy Adams) on Atlantic Ave (Atlantic Wharf) and we enjoyed it, chicken sliders (tasty), small plates, yummy flat breads, casual, etc. Ming Tsai opened a new restaurant, Blue Dragon that's also on my list to try in the Fort Point Channel area, not too far from Atlantic Wharf. Nothing is really too far in Boston! I have not been yet but there's water taxi service that seems like fun (assuming it's warm!) that could take you from point to point. If you are a museum-goer I would certainly visit the MFA and Gardner. There's the ICA (contemporary museum) off Seaport Blvd (not too far from Ming's place) if you wanted to group those together. The MIT Museum is also fun (Cambridge) accessible via the Red Line (subway).

Then again, you could spend the whole long weekend and be very happy in the Beacon Hill area. Lots of streets to explore, antique $hop$, the Boston Public Garden will be in bloom, house museums close by, historical & architectural walking tours, Newbury Street, North End (Italian district) not too far away. If you like art stop into the BPA (Boston Public Library) and see the Sargents's murals. I like museums, can you tell? REally depends on how busy you want to be. I hope this is a starting point and helpful I am sure others will chime in!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:12 pm 

Ivy - THANK YOU!!!! Yes, we are open to a B&B experience and we are definitely museum goers. The weather will likely dictate what we do i.e. nice will be walking around (which is our preference) vs crappy will be museums. We love to walk, wander and explore and can do it for hours.

If you do have any B&B's to recommend, please let me know!!!

Nance

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:13 pm 

It's been years since I've lived in Boston, but an old friend lives in the Beacon Hill area...let me drop him a line.

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:15 pm 

During the CI Boston meet we stayed at the John Jeffries House http://www.johnjeffrieshouse.com/ , a B&B inn just off the Longfellow Bridge and a short walk from the Common.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:39 pm 

I can never get my Boston geography straight, but can recommend a wonderful Ethiopian restaurant if you are open for an unusual dining experience, in the South End/Back Bay, and a Venezuelan one (CK got his black bean soup recipe from the chef there). Of course any of Barbara Lynch's would be a treat as well. DD used to live in Beacon Hill before they bought the house on Columbus Ave in Back Bay. If my memory serves me right, it is all walkable or a short subway ride. I would also love to go back for lunch at Flour.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:01 pm 

I just booked our hotel and train resys - very excited! We're staying at the Harborside Inn of Boston on State Street, across the street from Fanueil Hall (and amazingly reasonably priced!!!).

Now, we need a restaurant recommendation for Saturday night, which is the actual night of our 17th wedding anniversary. Seafood is our preference.

Nance

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:49 pm 

http://bostoncommon-magazine.com/dining ... oyster-bar

We like Neptune Oyster on Salem street. http://www.neptuneoyster.com/
Wellfleets and Bordentowns...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:23 pm 

Nancy - there's a Legal Seafoods near The Harborside, tried & true and one of the newer locations, right outside the New England Aquarium (ironic, yes!). There's Flour location in the Seaport District too. I think the Ethiopian restaurant Alina mentioned is Addis Red Sea and the Venezuelan one is Orinoco, both in the South End, and an Orinoco in Harvard Square now too. Eat early or late to avoid wait times. I hope you have good weather but IMO it doesn't really get warm here until June 1. Happy Anniversary in advance!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:01 pm 

Thank you Andrea, I am awful with names. Legal Seafoods by the Aquarium is good. DD is a member of the Aquarium, so they take the grandkids a couple of times a month.