Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Destin,Miami and south
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:30 am 

Hi All,
I'm heading to Destin (Pensacola) for a wedding and then south to Miami and possibly as far as Key West for some birding. Any spots I should hit? A little research has revealed millions of great looking places to dine. Is Joe's Stone Crab all that? I did read through a south Florida link with some great sounding suggestions.......
Thanks All,
Karen

Post subject: Re: Destin,Miami and south
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:04 pm 

Hi Karen,

What time of year are you coming? I've posted a bunch of Fort Lauderdale and Key West links but can do a shorter list for Miami if it is helpful. It will be a 9 to 10 hour drive from Destin to Miami, with Key West about another 3 hours south.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:26 pm 

I am actually leaving tomorrow and driving from Ohio! I will check out those previous threads again when I get down there, but any additional info would be great !!!

Thanks Lisa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:32 pm 

Which route are you taking? East coast, west coast, or central (through Orlando)?

Lisa can help you with the south part, I know the west coast (Tampa, St. Pete, Sarasota).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:28 pm 

I think I will be going through Sarasota and then down to Miami. :?: I am kind of free-wheeling this trip..

Karen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:35 pm 
Site Admin

Karen,

Joe's Stone Crab is a bit touristy. Also, it's not stone crab season now.

For sightseeing, Vizcaya is worth a visit. If you're driving down the A1A to Miami, make sure to stop a Alex's Grovestand near Ft. Lauderdale Airport; it's the best orange juice you'll have, ever. YellowGreen Market in Hollywood is also worth a visit if you're in the area on a Saturday or Sunday. You also might troll around Everglades National Park a bit; alligators up close and personal are really impressive. Skip any "Indian Villages" though.

Beyond that I can't help much with restaurants, my relatives in that area are Kosher.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:08 pm 

Karen,

Don't go to Joe's Stone Crab. It will cost a fortune. Go to [url=http:www.catfishdeweys.com]Catfish Dewey's[/url] instead. It is literally half the price for AYCE and just as good. It doesn't have the lovely ambiance of Joe's but it will be $200 less expensive. I posted about it my Fort Lauderdale thread, but here is the address again: 4003 N Andrews Ave, Fort Lauderdale, FL 33309

I don't get to Dade County that often, but I have already given up all my Ft Laurderdale and FL Keys favorites so I will try to fill some in between.

*Area Code 55 in Aventura is my favorite Brazilian steakhouse. Excellent food, very high quality of meats. 16375 Biscayne Blvd, North Miami Beach, FL 33160
*El Gran Inka, also in Aventura, is excellent Peruvian. 3155 NE 163rd Street, North Miami Beach FL 33160. There is also a Brickell Key location if you find yourself there.
*Bin No. 18 is a tiny, excellent wine bar with an wonderful charcuterie selection. Everything we have had there has been good. Downtown Miami. 1800 Biscayne Boulevard, Miami, FL 33132
*Grazianos Grill is a small local chain (3 locations) which serves very authentic Argentinian Parilla (grill). The best one is the Coral Gables location, which has a traditional open grill. Food is fantastic. It is pricey and very loud. Reservations recommended. 394 Giralda Ave Coral Gables, FL 33134
*Hakkasan in the Fountainbleu hotel serves award winning Cantonese. This is a world famous hotel on the beach, worth a visit. 4441 Collins Ave, Miami Beach, FL 33140
*Michael's Genuine is one of the best restaurants in Miami. American cuisine, very local foods. Highly recommended. 130 NE 40th St, Miami, FL 33137
*Red Fish Grill is worth it for the location alone. I find it a bit overpriced but the seafood is always dependable and fresh. It is in the middle of a County Park across from downtown and at night there is a beautiful view of the skyline across the bay.

Depending on how long you stay, you could be in time for Miami Spice, which is Miami's restaurant month (August - September). Lots of good options to try.

Have a great trip, and ping if you have any questions!

--Lisa