Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Help! I am going to Hawaii
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:16 pm 

Thank you all! I googled natto; "a foul-smelling sticky web of fermented soybeans". Appealing. I was in Kuaii the last and only time I was in Hawaii, so maybe a day trip to Maui is in order. I will let you know if we do.
Frank, I thought that the next time I visited Hawaii I would spend some time on several different islands but this trip came up too quickly to plan that well. I also have a teenager with me and she will appreciate the stores and buzz.
Our hotel sent me an email inviting me to phone the concierge to help plan our trip and I think I am going to do that. There is also an restaurant in the hotel that belongs to an Iron Chef whose name I can't remember but President Obama ate there last week. And I do hope it stops raining!

Mary

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:52 pm 

If you get to Maui you can go up the mountain and see the AEOS telescope I installed the electrical system on. http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/i ... +telescope

Deputy Dawg strikes again...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:58 pm 

Personally, I would have picked Bali over Hawaii. Easier for you to get to, and the weather this time of year is great. I love Bali.

Have fun in Hawaii!

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:10 pm 

Amy wrote:
Personally, I would have picked Bali over Hawaii. Easier for you to get to, and the weather this time of year is great. I love Bali.

Have fun in Hawaii!

Amy

Well then, the next vacation I have to plan on the spur of the moment will be Bali.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:22 pm 

Not trying to rain on your parade Mary. I'm sure you'll have a great time in Hawaii.

I understand about your needing to cancel on Thailand. One of my oldest friends lives in Bangkok (actually a neighbor of the PM in the same gated compound), and he has been talking about the uneasy time. The last time this happened he had to delay opening his new restaurant for two months...cost him a fortune.

I want to get to Thailand this Spring or next. That, and Vietnam.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:38 pm 

I know you are not. We originally thought of someplace more exotic but, if that were the case, I would want to spend some more time planning it. Hawaii was an easy choice and seemed more appealing than an all inclusive beachy deal.

I still think Thailand would have been ok but was not *that* sure. Maybe next year. Friends own an apartment in a lux resort in Phuket that they offered us at their "friends and family" rate. We were going to go there plus do a tour in Kanchanabura. "Having" to go to Hawaii is not really something I can complain about though!

Mary

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:45 pm 

It probably would have been fine, but why risk it?

I really want to do a week in Chaing Mai and a week in Phuket. (As I would recommend for Bali...a week in the mountains, and a week at the ocean.) Can you send me info on your friend's place? I realize I'm not "friend/family", but I'd love to see something for rent that comes recommended.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:10 pm 

Google Mövenpick Bangtao Beach. It looks stunning.

Mary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:51 am 

Well, Canada has a travel advisory in place for Indonesia due to the risk of terrorist activities, so I'm not sure I'd head out to Bali at the moment....but I agree that in general both Thailand and Bali have huge appeal. OTOH, Hawaii isn't too shabby either! I have not been so cannot recommend anything, but I hope you have fun Mary!

We are heading out to the southern Caribbean later this month which I am very excited about! Anyone have any recommendations for Samana (Dominican Republic), Grand Turk, Kralendijk (Bonaire), Willemstad (Curacao), or Oranjestad, Aruba?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:02 pm 

Carey,

Canada has a "exercise a high degree of caution" against a lot of countries. In fact, the Dominican Republic is on that list.

Bali is one of the most peaceful places on the planet. I'd go back there in a heartbeat. And, I know they had some terrorist activity about 10 years ago, but that is not the norm. Heck, so did NYC, London, et al...wouldn't stop me from going there.

Amy