Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help! I am going to Hawaii
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:48 pm 

We have been planning a trip to Thailand for the past 6 months and decided to bag it due to the political situation. We decided this on Sunday and by Monday had booked a trip to Hawaii for 2 weeks. We are leaving this Sat. and will be based in Honolulu. This did not leave much planning time so if any of you have any tips on restaurants or activities, I would really appreciate it. I was there a few years ago with my mother so have a little familiarity but I don't just want to run through the same trip.

Thanks!

Mary

Post subject: Re: Help! I am going to Hawaii
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:10 pm 

What do you like and like to do (2-part question)?
Will you only be on the one island?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:55 pm 

From 6 months of planning to 1 week...wow. I'd be panicking.

Chris and I went to Hawaii 15 years ago and did Mauii and Kauaii. I loved both islands, the volcano and the Road to Hana in Maui were unbelievable. There was a stand when you got on the road to Hana that sold tapes you played in the car along with a map and you followed it to find all the cool spots along the drive. It was great.
Food wise in Maui we didn't eat much, it was very expensive and I had all day nausea as I was just 11 weeks pregnant. We did get great fried chicken at a local grocery store. lol
In Kauai we loved the Waimea Canyons, the Spouting Horn and the road with the overhanging trees (from the Elvis movie)
We had a phenomenal dinner at the Beach House there, but it's under different owners now so no idea.
http://www.the-beach-house.com/
Enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:05 pm 

I have a friend who grew up in Hawaii and her folks still live there but I have no idea on what island. I'll shoot her an email to see if she has any recommendations for foodies.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:01 pm 

Are you looking for a list of spam houses? :mrgreen: ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:18 am 
Site Admin

Sunset magazine covers Hawaii; their site is a bit hard to navigate, but give it a try.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:09 am 

I lived there for four years but it was more years ago than I like to admit. Last time I was there was about 10 years ago. I personally would get off of Oahu if I were going, it is just too touristy for me.

Hopefully our Hawaiian resident will chime in...I PM'd Lu1 on your behalf.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:39 am 

I've spent a fair bit of time in Honolulu on business, so didn't do a huge number of activities. The island is very very small. There are lots of flights to other islands (I spent a week on the big island just outside the volcano park, hiked the park everyday). On Oahu, I've done a fair bit of hiking, lots and lots of snorkelling. There is good surfing, etc. if you like that kind of thing.

Honolulu has excellent Japanese food, everywhere downtown. I couldn't give you names offhand, but I've been to a lot, and had a lot of great food, including tiny tiny places in side alleys where they have really great breakfast, but no menus in english (or pretty sketchy english), so you gotta wing it :) On the road, there are lots of shrimp trucks and small grills that have great seafood, extremely fresh and tasty. I always do at least one drive up to the north shore every visit and do some food on the way.

For the super tourist trap, there is a very fun submarine ride in Honolulu, and a Cat tour is fantastic fun.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:41 am 

(oh, and you can get natto in Honolulu too, which everyone should try once.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:51 am 

Aloha Mary! So happy you'll be visiting the islands next week. I live on Maui which is very different from Oahu. If you have the opportunity to island hop, come and visit Maui and see some spectacular sights. You can PM me and I'll fill you in on all the sights. Just so you know, it's "winter" here on the islands which means lots of rain and cooler weather. I love the change in weather. We get to wear jackets! My son doesn't even own a pair of pants....lol. It hit a record low of 52 degrees last week. Okay, okay, I know that may seem balmy to some but it was chilly for us. It's been raining for the past few days but it looks like the sun will be back later this week.

Oahu reminds me of NYC which is where I was born and raised. Lots of tourists, lots of traffic, great restaurants, great shops....here on Maui, we have one Walmart, one Costco, one Whole Foods, one GAP, one K-mart...it's different here...a slower pace...which is great for my son....me? I miss the hustle and bustle of NYC :) .

Hope to hear from you soon!

Lu