Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Boston
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:23 pm 

I like Addis in back bay. My favorite meal so far in Boston was at Barbara Lynch's Menton's. Worth it apart from the great food, for the rum and milk cocktail, can't remember its name but it was wonderful. And of course lunch at Flour is a fave. Best panini I've ever had, and have not had a pastry there that was not outstanding. More later.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:42 pm 

Have not logged in a quite awhile. Just seeing this now. Perhaps you are already here?!

Cask n Flagon is next to Fenway Park. One goes there for the ambiance of beer and baseball and food is an afterthought. A short walk away is Elephant Walk (Cambodian/French.) They take reservations & you'll get a decent interesting meal, and they can accommodate a large party. The whole Fenway area is surrounded by lots of college campuses so most restaurants around there cater to students etc. Keep in mind that Boston is compact and in 20-30 minutes you can get across the city, so nothing is that "far." Have fun!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:03 am 

Just back from Boston. Total Lobster count:
Whole Lobster - 2 (1 wood grilled, 1 steamed)
Lobster Crab Louie - 2 shared appetizers
New England Lobster Rolls - 2 (1 grocery store, 1 gourmet)
Lobster Ravioli - 1
Lobster Sushi Roll - 1

We had a great trip. We found some good places and went to them twice (9 days in a hotel...) but the culinary highlight was Atlantic Fish company. There are some photos on my FB of their Lobster Crab Louie app and their Lobster Roll. The food was absolutely amazing. We also had dinner there which I didn't snap photos of.

Two trips to Summer Shack as well because it was directly adjacent to our hotel; they do a perfectly cooked lobster, but everything else was Meh. Shrimp and Grits app was incredibly salty and the bouillabaisse tasted overwhelmingly of allspice. Two trips to Addis Red Sea because there is no Ethiopian food in South Florida; it was as good as recommended.

We tried to get into The Butcher Shop and failed, ate brunch at the Hungry I (serviceable but not memorable), had a nice breakfast at the Triton Book Store and Cafe on Newbury Street. Also shared lobster sushi at Umai on Newbury because it was open on the 4th. I also ate several times at the Boston Chowda place in the mall attached to our hotel. It was fast and cheap and there was actual clam in their clam chowder.

The only real downside was the Cask and Flagon which served me an incredible tasting burger with brisket on it, cooked to medium which gave me mild food poisoning. I am just glad I didn't get it rare (which is how I asked for it). :/

Thanks to everyone for their recommendations.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:23 am 

I was talking to someone about our trip and realized I had left off a real foodie find we had! We were in Harvard Square and I was determined to find a little college dive bar and not eat at any of the changes where were all over.

We stumbled on Charlie's Kitchen, which was a great find. I had the "Ultimate Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese" which was an inside out grilled cheese, with tons of decent cheddar cheese both inside and out with the addition of thin strips of chicken breast which had been dipped in Buffalo Chicken sauce. The chicken wasn't breaded, but the vinegar/heat of sauce made the cheese not so overwhelming. It was greasy, crunchy, salty and spicy. A very good greasy sandwich!

--Lisa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:07 pm 

ldkelley wrote:
I was talking to someone about our trip and realized I had left off a real foodie find we had! We were in Harvard Square and I was determined to find a little college dive bar and not eat at any of the changes where were all over.

We stumbled on Charlie's Kitchen, which was a great find. I had the "Ultimate Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese" which was an inside out grilled cheese, with tons of decent cheddar cheese both inside and out with the addition of thin strips of chicken breast which had been dipped in Buffalo Chicken sauce. The chicken wasn't breaded, but the vinegar/heat of sauce made the cheese not so overwhelming. It was greasy, crunchy, salty and spicy. A very good greasy sandwich!

--Lisa

Muuuussst fiiiinnnd recipe!