Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:30 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best luggage?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:25 pm 
Site Admin

A bit off-topic, but I know that several of you travel almost as much (or more, in Frank's case) as I do.

My 8-year-old 23-inch Samsonite rolling bag is ready to be retired. It has over 250,000 miles on it, so I thought I'd get another Samsonite, and maybe a slightly smaller bag (for carry-on) and a slightly larger one (for long trips with Kris). However, when I went to Macy's to look at Samsonite bags, they pretty much sucked. Samsonite is all about the "spinners" now (which means broken wheels), and their handles and interior materials seem cheap and poorly-made, even in bags costing $300. Apparently Samsonite quality has gone straight to hell.

I'm really looking for an exact replacement of what I have now, rugged cordura nylon luggage with two sturdy wheels which will last me for the next 250K miles, with good easy-grip handles and sturdy oversized zippers. But I can't seem to find it. Recommendations?

To link this back to the board: I need this bag for Prague (see next post in travel).

Post subject: Re: Best luggage?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:18 pm 

We use Briggs & Riley for our wardrobe bag; I believe it is warrantied against everything forever - not cheap but... We love our Titan (graphite composite - very indestructible) but normal warranty and we lost a foot on our last trip...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:59 pm 

When I was traveling a lot, I loved my set of Andiamo....so sturdy and practical. This was before the advent of wheels....I now use the Samsonite Spinner which I love. Never had a wheel break or a wonky handle. But if I was still traveling so much for business, I would re purchase Andiamo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:57 pm 

I buy Chris new luggage every 3-4 years, just bought him Heys Solar which he likes. http://shop.heys.ca/ProductDetails.asp? ... e=Solar2pc
These are the sizes he uses on most trips and as such get a lot of wear and tear. I have a couple of larger bags from older sets that we use when travelling long term, but now we usually do the one bag per person thing.
5 year warranty (although I'm sure that's prorated) but Costco so if it breaks in the next 2 years I'd just bring it back for an exchange there. After that I consider we got our money's worth.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:18 pm 

We love Briggs and Riley too. DH and I have had our carry-on sized ones forever (and he travels with his 26 weeks a year). Our large suitcases are Samsonite spinner hard sides (polycarbonate). His is the newer generation one (it has a somewhat textured exterior where mine is smooth) and has held up better than mine by far.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:21 pm 

I will be watching this thread closely as I need a new suitcase. I travel only a few times a year, but for lengthy stays (1 month minimum). So I need a large suitcase that will be light. but really sturdy, roll well, and not be cluttered with pockets. Though I am trying really hard to change, I am not a great packer and usually overpack.

Having experienced lost luggage more than once, as well as unexpected overnight stays in airports, I always travel with 2 carry-ons. A canvas messenger back as my "purse" and a rolling carry-on. I recently replaced the former after 8 years of rough use with the same one. It is amazing who much stuff it can carry, including a month supply of RX, food, an airplane pillow, extra sweater, socks, all my glasses, a book, my iPad, phone and a large string wallet. Even a pair of Teva thongs at the bottom. It has a side pocket for a water bottle.

The other is a light canvas type rolling bag (tote bag I guess) and I dread the day it goes. It is so easy to take out the laptop and toiletry bag without messing with anything else, and is small enough for me to handle since I mostly travel alone. It is square and can sit on top of the big suitcase, go under the seat or overhead. The back will take a pair a full change of clothing including jeans, sneakers, etc. The middle will hold my 17" laptop, and the front will hold, mouse, battery cords, all chargers + mini Belkin surge protector, and my "liquids" airport bag. It is also great as a foot rest while waiting. I hope it lasts until I can travel with just my iPad.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:42 am 

I am also happy with Samsonite. I have been replacing our luggage bit by bit and really like the size and roll-ability of it. I also was a bit leery of those wheels sticking out but really love how they maneuver and the reduced footprint they give you in a crowded airport/airplane. I also got a really good price. I am still looking for a good looking tote bag like Alina described. I had one that was great as far as how it was divided (big space, good place for access to passport/tickets/money but pickpocket safe, cross body strap) but it is butt ugly. Had another that was cute, fair on how it was divided but weighed a ton. I have also used things that double as a beach bag but they end up being a mess.

Mary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:45 am 

Mary, mine is not particularly attractive, but then, I only use it when I fly. I used to carry my laptop in it (has padded place for it), but it made it heavy and I never really used the laptop on the plane itself, so I moved it to the rolling tote. Now I just put my iPad in the messenger bag and use it instead.
This is the one I have, but mine is red..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:03 am 

I have a no-name hard side leather "doctor's bag" type satchel. I bought it for $10 at a resale shop. It holds less than it would appear to hold. :roll:

On the other hand, when I need to take the kitchen sink, I find that Geekboy's Timbuk 2 bag can carry my laptop and all of its accoutrements, plus 3-4 changes of clothes and a toiletries kit. Nice if you have to travel light, but not really luggage so much.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:54 am 

I have a small American Tourister that has been amazing. However, the larger one has been so-so. I share your frustration with Samsonite. Until recently, I traveled about 60% and used to go through a lot of bags. The biggest issue for me have been the zippers and telescopic handles. I think small bag has held up because it has not been handled by the airlines as much. It really is amazing how they handle your bags.