Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Napa wine country?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:44 pm 

Planning a trip this fall to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary and have 3 days reserved for a trip to Napa wine country -- haven't been for a very long time (in fact, the last time I was there I was pregnant with the 28-year old daughter we're visiting in San Francisco) so not sure where to stay and/or eat. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Napa wine country?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:23 pm 

Send Patti (hotcookin) a PM. She lives in Marin County, and we spent a delightful weekend there along with Sunny a few years back.

Amy

P.S. Jealous!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

Lindsay,

Well, a list of wineries would take a while, so I'll do that later. Wino also went a bunch of places last year and can list stuff off. And, of course, we'd love to see you but if it's just 3 days for your anniversary, you might not want to see us.

We recommend staying in Calistoga. It's at the North end of Napa, so it's quieter, and it's a walkable, charming little town. One place we recommend is the Washington Street Lodging: http://washingtonstreetlodging.com/ which has charming little cottages overlooking the headwaters of the Napa River.

Recommended Restaurants (get reservations 30 days ahead):

• Farmstead Restaurant, a super-locavore place where about 1/2 their ingredients come from the farm literally next door. Killer desserts.
  • Any of Cindy Pawlcyn's restaurants, especially Backstreet Kitchen (http://cindypawlcyn.com/).
  • Market Restaurant in St. Helena on Main

Markets, stores and activities:

• Oxbow Market in the town of Napa
  • Wine Garage in Calistoga, for picking up local wines cheaper-than-retail
  • Rent a bicycle in Calistoga and tour the wineries by bike
  • Calistoga Spa & Hot Springs for a massage and soak
  • Woodhouse Chocolates in St. Helena
  • The Model Bakery, St. Helena

Do note that it's a 2-hour drive from SFO to Calistoga, worse during rush hours.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:39 pm 

I don't know if they are still in business, but I always like stopping at the Oakville Grocery and have had great dinners at Mustards....I haven't be in Napa in 15 years, so I may be way off base.

I always enjoyed the mud baths at Indian Springs in Calistoga, too.....old timely spa but great baths and massages.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:01 am 

Madam L - Sorry for the delay in responding about my 'Mecca' - somehow life keeps getting in my way.

2 wonderful restaurants:
Redd, 6484 Washington St., http://www.reddnapavalley.com/description.html
TRA VIGNE, 1050 Charter Oak Ave., St. Helena, CA 94574, http://www.travignerestaurant.com/tv.html

Across the corner but on the same side of Washington is an eclectic wine shop, Groezinger's, 6484. It's been around for years and the new owners continue the tradition - which is zany at the best of times. They introduced us to Redd and will be happy to tell you about other weird and wonderful places.

- Wee Willy the Wino :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:51 pm 
Site Admin

Also:

In Carneros, at the south end of Napa, it is totally worth it to order a sparkling wine tasting and finger food and sit out on the balcony of Domaine Carneros winery. Assuming it's sunny, of course!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:59 am 

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the recommendations! We are in Calistoga per Fuzzy's recommendation, but decided to go high end (how many 30th anniversaries are there). So we're staying in very decadent luxury at the Calistoga Ranch. Had a fantastic meal last night at Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc where the dinner was a West Texas BBQ -- with brisket that had been cooked sous vide for 72 hours. Going to Cindy Pawclyn's California Kitchen for lunch today (after a few wineries). Really lucked out on the weather, too. Beautiful area.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:07 am 

Lindsay wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the recommendations! We are in Calistoga per Fuzzy's recommendation, but decided to go high end (how many 30th anniversaries are there). So we're staying in very decadent luxury at the Calistoga Ranch. Had a fantastic meal last night at Thomas Keller's Ad Hoc where the dinner was a West Texas BBQ -- with brisket that had been cooked sous vide for 72 hours. Going to Cindy Pawclyn's California Kitchen for lunch today (after a few wineries). Really lucked out on the weather, too. Beautiful area.

Lindsey....the general manager of the Ranch is an old fiend,her name is Coni Thornberg, so say hello if you get a chance. I think they must be either crushing or getting ready to...it looks beautiful there.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:28 am 

gardnercook wrote:

Lindsey....the general manager of the Ranch is an old fiend,her name is Coni Thornberg, so say hello if you get a chance. I think they must be either crushing or getting ready to...it looks beautiful there.

Best typo ever.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:44 am 

JesBelle wrote:
gardnercook wrote:

Best typo ever.

Too funny. I didn't catch it until I reread the post. LOL