Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Food Report from Malta
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:57 am 

As I mentioned before, I was lucky enough to spend a long weekend in Malta with my cooking club a couple weeks ago and thought I would give the virtual culinary tour before I forget. Malta is an island between Sicily and Africa that was ruled for a very long time by the British and everything goes into the mix. Lots of trifles and banafi pie for desserts, a hummus type appetizer that is made with some local bean and plenty of gorgeous seafood.

The first night out (the first night we stayed in with ordered pizza and plenty of vodka after a harrowing experience of driving on the left side of the road) we went to a fantastic restaurant (of the strawberry brulee). We had a course of multiple starters to share. My favorites were a swordfish carpaccio with black pepper vinaigrette and a shrimp carpaccio. Image
For our main we had a fish called an amber jack (very meaty, mild fish) that had been cooked in a salt crust. The second night we went to a simpler restaurant, also amazing seafood. I had mussels. One of my friends had salmon, similar to gravlax that was served what they described as minted cottage cheese. NOT cottage cheese, more like a dry ricotta with tons of fresh mint, out of this world.
The next evening we had a cook come to the house we rented... best idea ever. We had about 8 starters, a fried local cheese, 2 kinds of fish cakes, one with whiting the other shrimp and salmon, calamari, scallops, prawns, mussels, clams. Mains were chicken stuffed with crab meat and a beef filet with a stilton spinach sauce. Dessert was profiteroles and a local pastry stuffed with prunes.
Image Image
The other thing we had that was very good is a kind of spread that is made from slow cooked tomatoes, like tomato paste but more so. They served it like a dip but we also had it on the most kick ass tuna sandwich known to man. They took a big crusty square bun, spread the tomato stuff on that, then tuna salad (very light on the mayo) and then stuck whole green olives over the whole thing.

Next year our trip will be Beaune France.

Mary

Post subject: Re: Food Report from Malta
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:59 am 

Gorgeous photos Mary!! Sounds and looks like you had a fun and delicious trip. Thanks for sharing.
Nance

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:26 am 

Thanks for sharing, Mary. Sounds like a great trip. You took some beautiful food pics.
The chef coming to the house is a great idea....did that in Italy and it was a wondeerful evening. Highly recommend the concept.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:05 pm 
Site Admin

Cool!

Never been to Malta. Almost got a programming contract there, but it didn't work out.

Wait ... they have roads in Malta? How long can you drive before falling into the ocean? (looks at Google maps) ... huh. I'd always pictured Malta as smaller than that. Who knew?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:37 pm 

It is only 11 km wide and 26 km long but is filled with confusing little roads and roundabouts. Luckily the top speed for the island is only 60 km/hr and the drivers are quite patient. We had rental car hell. We had arranged for 2 vans automatic for 10 of us with luggage. They had only gotten a request for one van so they, ever so kindly, offered us 3 cars at the same price. The cars had rolly up windows. They were standard and the gears were about stripped. Plus we got in after dark. We ended up getting lost for about 2 hours (who needs a gps, the place is 11 km wide) and I scraped the side of the rental on one of the many rock walls that were falling down (I saw the wall, not the rocks that had broken off it). And I didn't even think I was going to have to drive. Made the chef coming to the house all the sweeter. And the prices were the same as at the restaurant, which were pretty cheap. 490 Euros for all that food and they were all so sweet.

Mary