Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: L.A. / Burbank
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:00 am 

Frank,
My SIL, who lives in LA, said that the Encounter restaurant at LAX has pretty good, decent food and is quite trendy. That said it's been a while since she's been there. But probably a better bet than the surrounds of LAX.
Nancy

PS - I haven't offered any other recommendations because they don't dine out much and when they do its mostly kid-friendly places.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:19 pm 
Site Admin

Frank,

Near LAX I can recommend two restaurants.

Aliki's Greek Taverna, on arbor vitae. Nice hole-in-the-wall authentic Greek food.

Kanpai Sushi Bar & Grill: excellent Japanese food, with a lot of unusual specialties if you dig into the menu.

The second restaurant above is in a little cluster of restaurants across from the Otis Art Institute. It's likely that several other restaurants on the same block are good; I just didn't try them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:28 am 

The Greek place has my interest, I used to date the lead guitar player (Mathias Nastos AKA Nick Masters) for Bill Haley & the Comets (Rock around the Clock) daughter. He was Greek to the bone and ate some very good Greek food at his house (we'll not mention the Ouzo) The best Greek food I ever had... :P

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:18 am 

Frank, forgetting the apostrophe S in the above completely changed my viewpoint of your dating life. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:22 am 

jeanf wrote:
Frank, forgetting the apostrophe S in the above completely changed my viewpoint of your dating life. :lol:

Yikes... :oops: :oops:

I'll not edit the above for the humor value...however... :shock: :lol: I am neither left handed nor happy... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:19 pm 

Don't know about any of these places, but give it a thought. You could give one a try and review:

http://www.bonappetit.com/blogsandforums/blogs/badaily/2012/02/where-to-eat-los-angeles.html

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:50 am 

Frank,
Sounds like you're going to North Hollywood/Burbank via Bob Hope airport. I've spent over 50 years of my live about 30 miles west of there in Simi Valley. For the most part, it's just a part of greater Los Angeles. I don't know what you're into, but if old pre-WWII airplanes is appealing I recommend a restaurant in Van Nuys called The 94th Aero Squadron.

Here's the link:
http://www.94thvannuys.com
It's not too far (by LOS ANGELES standards) from Burbank.

If you have kids, or young adults, there's Magic mountain to the north in Valencia. It's a Six Flags facility if you know what they're about. Very aggressive rides and some neat shows.

A few miles south is Universal Studios, that's a very popular spot with lots of great eats; bring your camera because of the excessive celebrity sightings.

Then there's the Hollywood Bowl. The schedule about now is mostly classical stuff with the L.A. Philharmonic. If you're not into it then don't bother. Summertime has a wider variety, but you need to know how to attend: It's a giant amphitheater and most will come with their picnic baskets - SERIOUSLY!

You can go online and get tickets to attend some shows. The Tonight show with Jay Leno is an example. They're free, but limited so you need to plan ahead . . .

The list goes on and on.

I've been to about 30 of the 50 United States, been to Europe and Asia, Canada and Mexico. As far as I'm concerned California has some of the best the world has to offer. Unfortunately, it has some of the worst as well. When you're in L.A. watch your step, don't go venturing into the wrong 'hoods (and don't wear RED - gangs take COLORS seriously).

Oh yea, the Channel Islands off Ventura has some of the best fishing in the world year round. Unfortunately with federal regulations fishing has been shut down until April.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:21 pm 
Site Admin

Tunaoue wrote:
When you're in L.A. watch your step, don't go venturing into the wrong 'hoods (and don't wear RED - gangs take COLORS seriously).

That's not as true as it once was. The gangs (and their territories) are much smaller now, and they won't mistake a tourist for a gang member. Your biggest danger in places like South Central is getting hit by a stray bullet.

And, neither Burbank nor LAX are gang territory.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:45 pm 

Tunaoue,

Sorry for the late acknowledgement, many interesting suggestions. I travel a lot...mostly on business; I will stay in the Burbank Airport area one evening and the Marina del Rey area one evening. Probably won't have a lot of free time for much more than a couple of good meals, thanks and welcome! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:18 am 

Reporting in…

Burbank:

http://www.fishdishgrill.com/food.html

Group ate four different dishes, all were outstanding.

Marina del Rey

http://killershrimp.com/

It was “OK”

http://cafebuna.com/

Very different but good, I had the BUNA Omlette; (plantains, black beans, rice, avocado, mozzarella and salsa).