Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Towson, MD
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:55 pm 

I'm headed there in early March for training. I know it's close to DC, but I don't know how much time I'll have in the evenings, so something in or near Towson would be better. I might go to DC for one night if anyone has recs there. I knew of some good places in DC but I'm not sure they are still around.

Post subject: Re: Towson, MD
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:06 pm 

Laurie from TOBB is from around there. I'll nudge her on f/b to check in here.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:51 am 

Also, send Lou a PM. He's from Chevy Chase (about 50 miles away), but may have some good ideas.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:57 pm 

Gerard,

Your'e up!

Tim

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:46 pm 

Darcie:

You'll be closer to us than Faribault is to Minneapolis! Maybe 40 minutes... We should link up.

We like the Milton Inn just north of Hunt Valley.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:34 am 

Darcie,

So sorry, this one slipped by! Darcie, are you interested in any type of food in particular? In general, Towson doesn't have anything exceptional at this point. WOuld you be willing to go to Baltimore - which is about 20 minutes south?

Gerard

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:52 am 

Darcie,

Off the top of my head, you could consider "Crush" which is right on the Towson/N. Baltimore line (it should be about 5-10 min directly south of where you are staying) in an area called "Belvedere Square". In the same restaurant (downstairs) - is a second restaurant called Demi. Check both Crush and Demi out on the web. In Towson, there is a somewhat pricey Italian restaurant called Cafe Troia. It's right near the mall, which is where I'm assuming you will be staying.

If you are interested in Baltimore recommendations, let me know - that opens up a far greater selection.

Best,
Gerard

Edit: Demi is presumably more for foodies but I haven't dined there. I've been to Crush many times - definitely good - particularly for being "almost" in Towson. Kathy's Pete's suggestion of the Milton Inn in near-by Sparks should definitely be considered seriously.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:15 am 

Kathy's Pete wrote:
Darcie:

You'll be closer to us than Faribault is to Minneapolis! Maybe 40 minutes... We should link up.

We like the Milton Inn just north of Hunt Valley.

Oh, goody! We can get together and this time it will be my treat - I will be in town at least Monday afternoon thru Thursday afternoon. I've been considering driving so I can meander back and visit friends. If so, want a house guest on Thursday night? :)

Gerard wrote:
If you are interested in Baltimore recommendations, let me know - that opens up a far greater selection.

I'm up for going to Baltimore - I'll probably be staying at the Sheraton North in Towson (close to the training center). If you know of a better hotel that I can afford on a government per diem, I'm interested in that too.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:46 am 

Darcie wrote:
I'm up for going to Baltimore - I'll probably be staying at the Sheraton North in Towson (close to the training center). If you know of a better hotel that I can afford on a government per diem, I'm interested in that too.

Darcie,

Go to http://www.marriott.com they have a great tool bar to find Gov. rate rooms.

Use the buttons on the left to refine your search. Special Rates / Catagory / You want to find the highest category property (Low =1 Highest = 7) that strikes the best balance of location, ammenities, etc. to fit your needs. It is not unheard of to find a catagory 7 (Super Swanky Resort) property for a GSA / Gov. rate. Assuming you have a Gov. ID.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:15 pm 

Darcie -

Sorry, I don't know too many hotels in Towson.

As far as restaurants in Baltimore go - as you can imagine, there's quiet a range. Probably the most popular for the last year or two is Woodberry Kitchen. If you are going to go there - get reservations soon (via opentable) - it's about the only restaurant in town that fills up regularly, even during the week.

It's kind of a seasonal, regional, sustainable, farm to table restaurant with really good food and very nice ambience. Ambitous but not fussy. Pricey but definitely not stuffy. The staff tends to be young and very well trained.

The restaurant and the environs used to be the site of textile mills, a foundry, grist mills etc. (there's a small river nearby). It's a bit tricky to get to so call the restaurant or have a GPS. If you know where you are going - you'll have no problem. The immediate area also has some artist studios and galleries (not sure of their hours). Valet parking is available.

FWIW, the best food in town (IMHO) is at Charleston but it is really expensive, pretty formal, and all the way downtown on the water.

Let me know if you would like any more recommendations.

Best,
Gerard