Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Orlando dining - not Disney
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:30 pm 

Acebben, we didn't find much to be honest, but we weren't looking all that far from Universal and that strip is mainly (bad) chains. However we did have great pizza one night, which we ate in our room because "the final episode of Wizards of Waverly Place is on and we HAVE to watch that". :roll:
We've got a few days next March in Fort Lauderdale if you have any suggestions for that area!
Welcome to the board from me as well!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:52 pm 

Thank you Darcie! Tavares isn't far from me. I live in Ocoee which is just west of Orlando. I was highly sceptical when I first moved here from LA but I've found a very vibrant and lively food culture that is not all fast food or swamp fare. :) -Aram

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:17 pm 

Thanks jeanF! Sorry you had to be subjected to the bad tourist food. Ugh!! Unfortunately I haven't been to Ft Lauderdale other than the airport in quite some time so I'm not much help there but I do have friends who live there. I'll ask them and report back. Was the pizza you had Brazillian by chance? There are a number of Brazillian pizza places right around Universal and I-Drive. They are different but quite good in their own right. Who knew?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:47 am 

Hi jeanf,
My friend in F.L. responded. She gave two recommendations. Serafina and Sublime. Now my friend is a Florentine and she swore by the food at Serafina. That being said, I checked out the Yelp reviews, which I take with a grain of salt, and they are mixed but they do sound like the place is an authentic European restaurant. If you've ever been to Europe then you'll understand what I mean here. I would absolutely give it a go. It's on the water. Sounds delicious.

Sublime is a Vegan restaurant. Same for Yelp reviews. Sounds interesting. I also looked at a review for Riverside Market which sounds fun. The 500 craft beers were enough to catch my attention.

March should be awesome weather in Ft Lauderdale but beware you're going during spring break and all the craziness that goes with that. :) Enjoy! -A

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:43 am 
Site Admin

Jean,

I've been to Ft. Lauderdale any number of times, but since my relatives there are Kosher, I don't have much of an idea of the non-Kosher restaurants. And I don't recommend the kosher ones if you don't have to eat at them -- the only one which was worthwhile by itself was the pizza place, and they folded recently. You can always troll Las Olas, of course. I did not find Yelp reviews to be reliable in S. Florida.

I'm pretty sure Todd made some recommendations on another thread.

AceBen,

Welcome to the board!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:40 pm 

Thanks to both of you! We are not sure how long we'll have there,our cruise (yay) leaves from there. We've never been away with the kids during the actual school break, preferring to normally just take them out for a week. But 4 families have booked the same cruise so we bit the bullet and will be part of the madness. We're trying to leave a few days early and just hang out down there, or will stay a few days after.
I wll be sure to come back to this thread in a few months.