Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Airport food
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:54 pm 
Site Admin

Todd,

Ft. Lauderdale for new years?

So, you're flying 1300mi closer to South Beach, but not going the last 40?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:48 am 

This gets great reviews.
Have not yet tried but will!

http://www.oneflewsouthatl.com/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:42 pm 

I have been flying for several years and have found my dining experience has been kind of in the vein of "glad that I made the flight and security - perhaps I can squeeze in dinner".

Some particulars that come to mind:
- BWI Chadwicks is OK (Terminal B). There is also a great wine bar at Terminal A.
- The category of nice city but nothing inspiring at the airport: Boise, ID, SLC, RDU, LAX, PHI, IND, ONT, Washington - Reagan
- Chicago Midway has some nice choices (Potbellies)
- Two great southwestern restaurants in Vegas and Phoenix
- Was in Newark a few weeks ago - lots of options
- Denver is cool (love the train with the guitar sounds)
- I love Detroit airport - lots of great food options
- If you are in Providence, try the Oyster Bar
- Laguardia is in the middle of a food mecca, but none of it has made it through security
- Cincinatti (actually in Northern, KY) has some nice choices
- Legals at BOS Logan is good, but they are also just as good in the city
- There is a really bad sushi place in Philadelphia (plus if you check in your luggage there, they will lose it about 1/2 the time - same with Newark)
- Orlando airport has some great food options

I used to fly in and out of Frankfurt several years ago. I don't know what it looks like today, but nothing impressive. However, if we want to start the German food thread...

How about those peanuts and pretzels on Southwest :)

Last edited by Kenw on Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:21 pm 

Kenw wrote:

How about those peanuts and pretzels on Southwest :)

I woulda killed for some peanuts and pretzels on the AA flight I took a few days ago. If I had known it was AA when I booked it, I probably would have booked a different flight.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:39 pm 

There is a so-so sushi place in the Charlotte airport...works in a pinch. Also, gotta love the rocking chairs in the terminal.

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:44 pm 

Speaking of Charlotte - haven't been there in awhile (and it was before Kindle) but when I was there last I found a terrific used bookshop. Anyone know if it's still there? They seemed to stock a little bit of everything.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:17 am 

I just came Dallas->Toronto->Ottawa on AA (*). I gave up on the lot of em and brought sandwiches. Pretty sure it was better food then I was going to get on the flight or in Toronto, though i did have a pretzel in Dallas airport (Breakfast!).

(*) Idiots charged me baggage fee when they weren't supposed to (I was flying a partner flight which does not charge for baggage). I really quite dislike AA, though they also screwed up and gave me priority boarding. And didn't seat my wife and me together, though I got that fixed at the gate.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:09 pm 

Paul Kierstead wrote:
I just came Dallas->Toronto->Ottawa on AA (*). I gave up on the lot of em and brought sandwiches. Pretty sure it was better food then I was going to get on the flight or in Toronto, though i did have a pretzel in Dallas airport (Breakfast!).

(*) Idiots charged me baggage fee when they weren't supposed to (I was flying a partner flight which does not charge for baggage). I really quite dislike AA, though they also screwed up and gave me priority boarding. And didn't seat my wife and me together, though I got that fixed at the gate.

This is why I tend to drive as much as possible. Also allows you to find neat local dives, although we did recently make the mistake of going to a Mexican restaurant in rural MN (I know, I know!). It may have been the worst "Mexican" food I've eaten, but it was marginally better than Burger Death.

We are going to attempt to take our VW camper to the left coast this spring, but I don't know if we can take that much time off (3-4 days of driving to get there). It would be Corvallis, Oregon (to visit a friend), maybe veer south, then head back (through Colorado???). Still in the thinking stages.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:31 pm 

Sorry to do the plug for a specific vendor, but I love Southwest Airlines. I know it is peanuts and pretzels, but when I fly on other carriers, it is so darn complicated. Think about it, the 737 has about 30 rows (most of regional commuters about 20). Now recall the announcement at the gate "Welcome to flight 1615, we are now boarding gold star club elite, no we are boarding priority club, now zone 1, zone 2 you are ready to board, families with special needs, children under 4, zone 3, zone 4, zone 5, now general boarding... Give me a break. How many bloody zones and club categories do you need to seat a Boeing 737??? Southwest - Groups A, B, C - open seating: Done!! If you want to get an aisle seat, print a day in advance - as long as you are in B group, you get the aisle seat. You may not be able to cram your guitar and snow skis in the overhead, but the seats aren't that bad and for a 2 hour flight, I don't need to be part of the platinum club. I can also tell you from having flown in and out of BWI over 100 times (non exagerration) that Southwest has never lost my luggage.

If you want to hear a really good tale, I can tell you about transferring luggage from Frontier Airlines to Continental in SLC. I knew when they told me "no problem - we will check your luggage to Providence as they hand me my tickets in an envelope with a picture of a gopher on it" Got the bags three days later.

Oh, sorry, this is about food isn't it :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:28 pm 

TheFuzzy wrote:
Todd,

Ft. Lauderdale for new years?

So, you're flying 1300mi closer to South Beach, but not going the last 40?

I actually spent New Years Eve on a 100' yacht in Biscayne Bay which is a just South of South Beach and Miami. We were there for two nights and had a great time. It was very cool watching the fireworks from the Bay and celebrating NYE.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next