Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Airport food
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:41 pm 

That sounds really cool!!!

So...where did you eat in the Atlanta Airport?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:01 pm 

Da Bull Man wrote:
That sounds really cool!!!

So...where did you eat in the Atlanta Airport?

I didn't! My flight out of Flint was late because we had to be de-iced, so when I arrived in Atlanta, I had time to go to the bathroom and 5 minutes later I boarded my flight for Ft. Lauderdale. Luckily for me, my next gate was only three gates away. My flight coming home last night was another story. We were late taking off because this man and woman insisted that they were going to fit their obviously too large carryons in the overhead bin. The airlines was willing to check them for no charge, but they kept insisting it was going to fit. They ended up checking the bag. When I arrived in Atlanta last night, my arrival gate was D-7, which is almost the very end of the terminal, and my departure gate was C-7, again almost to the end. I had to walk to the middle of the terminal, take an escalator down to the train, ride that to the C Terminal, go up the escalator and walk to almost the end of the terminal. I walked on the plane and everybody was already seated and three more people walked on a few minutes after I did and we took off. The flight arrived about 15 minutes early. I was off the plane and through the airport in record time. Two parking lot shuttles were already waiting outside. I get on the first one which is empty and to my surprise, the driver takes off with me as his only passenger. I was on the road home in less than 15 minutes from the time the plane landed. How cool is that?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:09 am 
Site Admin

Darcie, Ken, Todd:

Darcie wrote:
We are going to attempt to take our VW camper to the left coast this spring, but I don't know if we can take that much time off (3-4 days of driving to get there). It would be Corvallis, Oregon (to visit a friend), maybe veer south, then head back (through Colorado???). Still in the thinking stages.

How far south on the West Coast do you think you'll get? Would be great to meet up, even in Ferndale or something.

Kenw wrote:
Sorry to do the plug for a specific vendor, but I love Southwest Airlines. I know it is peanuts and pretzels, but when I fly on other carriers, it is so darn complicated.

Me too! I also love VirginAmerica, which is like Southwest with club ambiance. I may be a VIP on United, but that's because I had no other choice ...

talanhart wrote:
I actually spent New Years Eve on a 100' yacht in Biscayne Bay which is a just South of South Beach and Miami. We were there for two nights and had a great time. It was very cool watching the fireworks from the Bay and celebrating NYE.

Wow! :o

Did they wrap anything in pink plastic for New Years?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:30 pm 

Was excited to see a III Forks restaurant http://www.3forks.com/location.php going in at Terminal D in DFW this morning! One of our favorite special spots to eat in Dallas.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:38 pm 

Took a one day trip to Dayton yesterday (left @ 6:00 AM returned @ 10:00PM ...whew...) III Forks is OPEN!!

Nice to be able to get a prime steak in an airport. The house salad is to die for! Traveling just got a little nicer!!

DFW Terminal D (International)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:57 pm 
Site Admin

Frank,

Some random tips for SFO:

• Terminal 2 is the "gourmet terminal" now, with fancy delis, Kara's Kupcakes, sushi, vegan sandwiches and more. Gotta be flying Virgin or American to get it, though.
  • In Terminal 1 (Southwest, Alaska, etc.), there is now a PQ Bakery outside security (in fact, it's right next to the security line). This is a hard-core, very tasty Italian bakery from Berkeley. Best option for carry-on food in Terminal 1.
  • Andale Taqueria has locations in Terminals 2, 3 and International. This is surprisingly good Mexican.
  • Brink your own empty water bottle; terminals 2 and 3 have filtered water filling stations, free.

Also, I'll point out that Vino Volo has expanded, opening wine bars at SFO, Oakland, and about 11 other airports in the US (including Dulles). While their menu is limited and pricey, it is quite good. And they always have good wine for tasting. Plus, usually, power outlets.