Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Airport food
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:07 pm 

I have to show this thread to my other (sometimes better) half. He's the one in airports all the time.

Any did anyone else get the Serious Eats newsletter today and wonder if they've taken inspiration from us? :-)

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/11/airp ... dium=email

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

Jean,

Well, we know Kenji sometimes reads this board. Nothing wrong with them getting ideas from us ...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:44 pm 

Oh, didn't mean to imply otherwise...I just thought it was funny to open the board and then go to my email to see the same topic.
I told Chris this was a sign that we needed to go on a trip. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:53 pm 

In the Seattle airport, Anthony's is good (seafood)...and the nice thing about Seattle is that the eateries at the airport cannot charge more than they do in town.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:07 pm 

Ok, after being trapped in transit for the last few days thanks to high winds and flight cancellations, I can say that I had a decent breakfast panini from the scary looking food court in the domestic terminal at the Calgary airport. I was so tempted to try the Delta hotel, but was stuck on standby and was concerned I'd miss my call.

As a side note, Old Spagetti Factory sucks no matter what city you're in (and no, it wasn't my choice to eat there in case anyone is wondering).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:42 am 
Site Admin

Ilene,

Thanks for the tip about Legal Sea Foods at Boston Logan. I'm posting this from there, enjoying a lunch of Lobster Salad.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:20 pm 

TheFuzzy wrote:
Ilene,

Thanks for the tip about Legal Sea Foods at Boston Logan. I'm posting this from there, enjoying a lunch of Lobster Salad.

what a coincidence...I'm wearing my Sam Adams Brewery shirt today...LS was a good place to spend a delay at Logan the night I flew home from the CI gathering :D

I dream a dream of home...Where there’s coffee on the table...And kindness in your hand- Lyle Lovett

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:46 pm 

Best US airports to find healthy eats Relaxnews December 27, 2011

(Relaxnews) - Airports are not exactly sanctuaries for health-conscious eaters, but scouting out a healthful meal
may be getting a little easier, at least according to a new report ranking America's busiest airports in terms of
their heart-healthy food offerings.

A team of nutritionists from the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) issued a report last
week that found that 83 percent of restaurants in 15 of the nation's busiest airports now offer at least one
low-fat, cholesterol-free meal.

The number of airport restaurants offering healthy foods has "increased sharply from 2001," when PCRM's first
airport food review found just 57 percent of airport eateries featuring at least one healthful option on their
menus, according to the report.

Detroit ranked at the top of the 2011 report for the third year in a row, while Denver and Los Angeles
international airports slipped in the ranking this year.

"Healthy airport food has taken off over the past decade, but there is still room for improvement," says PCRM
nutrition education director Susan Levin, M.S., R.D. "The good news is that healthy vegetarian choices are
available now at most airports. But some terminals are still clogged with high-fat, high-cholesterol offerings like
pizza and cheeseburgers."

Top ten US airports offering heart-healthy meals, according to the report:

1. Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport: Every restaurant at the airport offers at least one healthful meal,
such as a veggie burrito (hold the cheese) at Diego's Mexican Cantina, the black bean burger at Slapshotz, and
the hummus and veggie platter at the Heineken Bar.

2. San Francisco International Airport: Healthy options include organic smoky split pea soup with a hummus and
veggie wrap at the San Francisco Soup Company or a beet salad, tofu wrap, quinoa bowl, or udon noodles at
Plant Café and Pinkberry.

3. Washington Dulles International Airport: Options for health-conscious travelers include the grilled veggie
sandwich at Harry's Tap Room and pasta with marinara sauce at Famous Famiglia.

4. Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport: Cholesterol-free meals include the organic oatmeal (ordered with
soymilk) or the roasted beet and pear salad at French Meadow Bakery and Café or the smoked tofu burrito or
wrap with Cajun, Thai, or teriyaki flavors at 360 Gourmet.

5. Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport: Health-conscious travelers can enjoy the poblano, potato, and zucchini
taco at Urban Taco or the falafel wrap or three-bean chili at Ufood Grill.

6. Las Vegas McCarran International Airport: Healthy options include the smoked tofu burrito at 360 Gourmet or
vegan wrap with hummus found at more than 10 of the restaurants in the airport, including Bar One, Home Turf
Sports Bar, and Wipeout Willy's.

7. Denver International Airport: Low-fat choices include the veggie burger at the Boulder Beer Tap House, the
portobello mushroom sandwich at the Colorado Sports Bar, and the Colorado Sunshine Wrap or the tofu wrap
at Itza Wrap! Itza Bowl!

8. Miami International Airport: Try the hummus platter at Beaudevin and the Unique veggie burger or the Asian
veggie salad bowl at The Counter.

9. Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport: Low-fat meals include the chopped Mediterranean salad, hummus
appetizer, and bruschetta at Barfly and the veggie rice bowl or burrito at Blue Burrito.

10. Charlotte Douglas International Airport: Choose the veggie burger at Stock Car Café or the portobello
mushroom and red pepper sandwich (hold the cheese) at the Carolina Beer Co.

Renowned US-based Frommers.com, website of the bestselling travel guide series, offers a few strategies for
finding healthy grub when faced with flight delays. Be prepared and tote along some portable snacks that you
can pass through security screens -- most government regulations allow solid foods such as carrot sticks or
dried fruits.

Or make wise choices at airport shops, opting for a small bag of unsalted nuts or energy bars. Granola bars
may seem like a good choice, but many of them are little more than candy bars in disguise, says Frommer's.
Read the ingredients: if any of the first three are sugar, make another choice.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:51 am 
Site Admin

So, take the study below with a half-liter of salt. Based on my own visits, a lot of the top-10 ratings are pure BS:

ivy wrote:
Best US airports to find healthy eats Relaxnews December 27, 2011
A team of nutritionists from the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) issued a report last
week that found that 83 percent of restaurants in 15 of the nation's busiest airports now offer at least one
low-fat, cholesterol-free meal.

Note that this could mean a single offering of a shrink-wrapped green salad in a bar in one terminal. Looking at their top-10 ratings, it in fact does.

Quote:
1. Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport: Every restaurant at the airport offers at least one healthful meal,
such as a veggie burrito (hold the cheese) at Diego's Mexican Cantina, the black bean burger at Slapshotz, and
the hummus and veggie platter at the Heineken Bar.

2. San Francisco International Airport: Healthy options include organic smoky split pea soup with a hummus and
veggie wrap at the San Francisco Soup Company or a beet salad, tofu wrap, quinoa bowl, or udon noodles at
Plant Café and Pinkberry.

These are both believable.

Quote:
3. Washington Dulles International Airport: Options for health-conscious travelers include the grilled veggie
sandwich at Harry's Tap Room and pasta with marinara sauce at Famous Famiglia.

Note that the above two items are the ONLY health-conscious items in the whole airport. And that neither restaurant is in C & D terminals, Dulles' busiest transit terminals.

Quote:
5. Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport: Health-conscious travelers can enjoy the poblano, potato, and zucchini
taco at Urban Taco or the falafel wrap or three-bean chili at Ufood Grill.

On the other hand, most restaurants in DFW don't even have a non-meat option, let alone a low-fat one. It's not even possible to purchase a salad without meat in it. Not that I'm bitter or anything.

Quote:
6. Las Vegas McCarran International Airport: Healthy options include the smoked tofu burrito at 360 Gourmet or
vegan wrap with hummus found at more than 10 of the restaurants in the airport, including Bar One, Home Turf
Sports Bar, and Wipeout Willy's.

Ok, this is just ridiculous. There is no such restaurant as 360 Gourmet in LNV. All three of the other establishments mentioned are bars, and not restaurants. The food mentioned is shrink-wrapped airplane fare made up 48 hours in advance and available for $12 and up. And did not include a vegan wrap. Clearly the above was fabricated based on a hefty bribe from LNV's marketing department.

Quote:
8. Miami International Airport: Try the hummus platter at Beaudevin and the Unique veggie burger or the Asian
veggie salad bowl at The Counter.

Alternately, healthful and delicious ethnic foods may be purchased from the open-air grills established by the camps of stranded Carribbean immigrants in the departures lounge. Cash only. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:06 am 

I am flying to Ft. Lauderdale today for New Years. I have a 90 minute layover in Atlanta, so I will see what healthy options are available. Admittedly, I usually just go to the Popeyes and get a large side of their Red Beans and Rice. Many years ago, I ate at the Atlanta Bread Company when I was traveling with a friend and the food there was pretty good. Besides Cinnabon, these are the only places that I have tried in this airport.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next