Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: London, Paris, Venice restaurants
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:28 am 

Thank you Nance! Going to pick it up right now.
:)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:23 pm 

Glad you liked the restaurant. I still haven't done Cinque Terre. It is on the list. We are going to Tuscany in the fall break for a week and I am looking forward to that. I haven't been to Italy for a couple years and am really looking forward to getting back to Florence.

Sounds like a magical trip! Can't help you with the pasta maker. I have an electric one and am too lazy to even use that!

Mary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:41 pm 

:D
Florence has a fancy food shop called Pegna if you're interested. It's where I found my fancy chocolate (Amadei Porcelana) to "import." It is on 'Via Studio' right behind the Duomo, fwiw. So many good places to eat in Florence. Great gelato at Vivoli ( I loved the rice pudding flavor; Via Isola delle Strinche, 7r). We had a great meal in Siena at a place called La Taverna Di San Giuseppe. Via G Dupre, 132-53100. Thanks again for the Bellagio and Venice recs.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:48 am 

Just booked for Florence and Greve and am so excited. I also wrote to get a reservation at Cibero. We ate there many years ago and I am excited to take my daughter. I found an apartment in Florence near the Duomo so Pegna might be a nice stroll. We also want to make a day trip to Siena so will check out your restaurant there. We will be there from the 8th through 16th (Greve til the 12th then Florence) so any more tips would be appreciated.

Mary

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:53 pm 

Oh how exciting. Cibreo is supposed to be a great restaurant. We never made it there. A store near Cibreo (across the street) that might interest you is called Lisa Corti. Bright fabric stuff including tablecloths and some clothing. Look into Il Latini for another restaurant. It may or may not suit you (food is reasonably good), but lots of food and a celebratory atmosphere. Restaurant Mario was said to be good (we ended up at Buca Mario, which was nice but I think that Mario is supposed to be better. Another gelato place that we didn't get to is called Grom. Supposed to be great. I want to go back already! :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:07 pm 

Leaving Tuesday night for 2 weeks: Paris, Le Havre (Normandy), Saint Jean De Luz/Biarritz (Basque region) and then back to Paris.

Been packing for 3 weeks.

I'm just a tad excited about this trip. 8-)

Nance

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:28 pm 

I'm so excited for you Nance! I already want to go back :D Have a great time you guys!
The other Nancy :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:42 am 

Have a great time Nancy. You are due this trip.

I leave Saturday but have 't thought about packing yet. I did find out that there is going to be a festival of butchery on the 10th in Panzano (I think that's the name) which is the town next to ours. If you read the book "Heat", you may remember the part where the author does an apprenticeship with a famous Dante reciting butcher. This is the town and the guy. It started as a party the butcher gave to celebrate the return of beefsteak Florentine after it had been banned during the mad cow scare. I am psyched!

Mary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:25 pm 

This is like a food orgy here and I have so been thinking of all of you. Yesterday there was a butchery fest going on right outside our window. Today we ate home made taglitelli that was paper thin and topped with wild boar sauce. We just finished eating pizza, the dough rivaled the pasta in thinness and they gave us free desserts and left the grappa bottle on the table. We also went into a butcher shop salumeria ( not sure on the terminology but cut me a break I had a bottle of grappa plonked before me). The had salami with truffles, wild fennel, wild boar and all sorts of haunches hanging from the rafters. Food for thought, my dears.

Mary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:00 pm 

Gotta love the free booze and desserts :mrgreen: