Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ottawa, CAN
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:50 am 

Ok, some initial suggestions (the names are linked):
  • Les Fougères -- very good straight french food, on your side of the river, in a lovely rural setting (especially in fall). Reasonably casual dining. We've been there many times and enjoyed it.
  • town -- not far over the river. Small, so you will need reservations. Casual dining. Excellent food, the sort of "simple"-but-excellent angle, we've never been disappointed. Service is nice, but not 'intensive', can throw people used to fancy service off.
  • Wellington Gastro Pub -- A few more minutes away (for Ottawa; for Toronto, next door!), in the most hip area of ottawa, but their food is straight up well executed, very good food and not trendy. Pub-ish atmosphere, and prices in line with nicer chains like Baton Rouge or The Keg, with much better food. Unless you get carried away on courses...

I'll hit up the wife for a few, she is better at remembering names of things than I am.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:59 pm 

thanks Paul! pm me if you think your family will be out and about and we can meet up. You will then be thankful that you don't have a teenager yet. ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:13 pm 
Site Admin

Jean,

My suggestions would all be fancy places in Byward or downtown. So nothing right now.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:41 am 

Another two:

• Fraser Cafe: Been here a few times, solid food. Small, so reservations will be required.
  • Segue. Ok, I've not eaten there, but have crossed paths with the principals works, which is very good. And though the name is horribly trendy, the food sounds very solid.

All of my suggestions might be too expensive, if so, my apologies I am bad at determining what level people want. Also, I don't know a lot of places that aren't chains and are cheaper but not base level food (like burger or pizza); actually, I think chains kind of own that segment completely outside of ethnic food.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:03 pm 

Paul Kierstead wrote:
....; actually, I think chains kind of own that segment completely outside of ethnic food.

thanks and you are very right there. We might go ethnic although the gastropub may work. Kids love upper end but with the way they eat lately my wallet prefers middle of the road.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:34 pm 
Site Admin

Jean,

Haveli is pretty good for an Indian Buffet. There's also a surprisingly good "southern" BBQ place called "The SmoQue Shack" which is moderately priced, and has veggie options (and a great beer selection). Some folks from the conference raved about Zaki Chicken, but it's important to know that *only* the chicken there is worthwhile. For the meat lovers, Murray Street is really good but pricey.

And if I have to eat another meal at The Keg I'll burn the place down.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:24 pm 

Murray street is AWESOME, but a wee bit on the trendy (and pricy) side. There is a good burger joint next door to it now (the aboriginal place is, alas, gone). I was meh on SmokQue shack, but apparently they have some variation. Now you have me curious about Zaki chicken.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:39 pm 

Fuzzy - we don't do The Keg. All our meat fundraisers for hockey are from their supplier and I can't pay oodles for what I can make, quite nicely, at home. Plus my boys order $35 steak entrees. Each. ack.
Thanks for all the suggestions, am looking forward to seeing the city. The last time I was there is was in January of 1985. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:54 pm 

Well, on the upside, everything I've suggested is less then $35/entree :). Oh, I had the best Indian I've ever had at Haveli's ... at a private event, a wedding. All vegetarian, it was truly excellent, unfortunately most of the fare I was served does not seem to be available normally.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:10 pm 
Site Admin

Jean,

FWIW, the Museum of People is impressive. If you're into that kinda thing.

Also, giant spider outside the Museum of Art. There are 6 of those giant spiders in the world and by coincidence I've visited all of them.