Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Minneapolis area
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:35 pm 

Meeting in Fridley, probably 2 days/nights (it's a few weeks out). Probably staying in Brooklyn Center (694 just west of the River). 6 or more of us.

A few years ago we went to Jax Cafe; suppose we could do that again. Any suggestions?

Darcie : Don't know whether I'll have access to a car on my own. I'll keep you posted...

Post subject: Re: Minneapolis area
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:08 pm 

Back when I was in college, I found a bar there that served minors. My guess -- they're probably not around any more.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:04 pm 

Jes - my guess, they probably are...I see lots of very young people in bars, and I know it's not just because I'm getting old...

Pete - I'll get back to you on Mpls offerings. Off the top of my head, Solera (tapas), 112 Eatery (good food, reasonably priced for the quality). I think there is a good Indian place near Brooklyn Center if you're interested in that.

P.S. I have a car!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:05 am 

Tell me more about the Indian place. Boss is Indian. Might be a good thing, might not...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:10 am 

This just in from my friend who has eaten at the Indian place:

Quote:
Hi Darcie ~ The place is called Great India, in Brooklyn Center. Must, must, must get the Dumpakht. From their website: "Chef’s Special Presentation – Dumpakht Dishes are served with rice. Dumpakht is a method of cooking by which the cooking vessel is sealed with pastry resulting in a deliciously moist flavorful dish."

That dish is just ridiculous. I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that there's such a great restaurant in a strip mall in the burbs.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:11 pm 

The boss says Indian food is what he gets at home - and that's better than what he can get a 99% of the Indian restaurants in the US. But I think he's willing to consider it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:21 pm 

Generally (and, this is already a gross exaggeration) I find that people who have great versions of their ancestral food at home are pretty critical of others' attempts when they dine out.

Personally, I'd go a different direction.

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:37 am 

Pete, I have a friend who lives in the area, I'll ask if she knows of anything outstanding.

Laurie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:31 pm 

Pete, Here's her response to me, let me know if any of it interests you and I will ask for detail from her.

fridley and Brooklyn Park are on the north side of the twin cities, i am on the south.... i really don't know of any, "non-chain" places up there.... Maple Grove is a burb in the NW area, (so just west of Brooklyn Park) that is a hub of restaurants..... that area developed after i moved from that end of the TC to where i am know so i can't speak to anyone particular, however, i can certainly get a list for him. i know there is a strip of the usual chain places... like Don Pablos, olive garden... etc etc... but i would assume there are a few privately owned places there also.

Or

if he is willing to drive into the city, he will find the best places... everything from casual to upscale.. some trend/fusion places and all types of fine dining....

or

on the south side of the city, (but still mpls) there is a strip of restaurants known as Eat Street with lots of small, ethnic type places... would he like that? Reasonably priced, no chain places…Somalian, German, Thai…. lots of variety. That is in an artsy district… a fun place to explore.

however, if he would like to drive out of the cities, to a few small towns, about 30 minutes north of Fridley, i can recommend one or two small/ family owned/ down home cooking type places that are fun to visit and very indicative of the Swedes and Nordskys in MN, but they are by no means fine dining. You order Swedish meatballs and sour cream raisin pie there… NOT shrimp scampi… get the picture?

just tell him not to expect good Mexican food here... i haven't found one yet.

my favorite community Theater is up in the north burbs... it's such a charming place.... it's a renovated vaudeville style theater, small, quaint, and usually has very good performances. if he would like to see a show one night, i can send him a link to that OR, if he is more of a "high life" kind of guy, i can send him a link to the theater district in Mpls and St. Paul that is second only to New York.... some of the shows are touring Broadway and many are local, (but excellent) theater companies.

Laurie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:32 pm 

I'm pretty familiar with the hotel-and-restaurant zone in Maple Grove. I've never seen a non-chain restaurant up there. Thanks for the recommendations.