Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Jersey City, New Jersey...NYC!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:32 am 

Okay people...I am super excited. My husband's father just accepted a job in NJ for the next four years. His mom and dad rented an apartment in NJ. I am a little worried about this, because his mother is our only local hands on grandparent really and the kids are going to really miss them. She plans on traveling back and forth some though.

However this also means that I might actually get to visit NYC finally! I would love to go as soon as July, but the $1300-$1800 airfare is a large barrier. I do not think I would want to make the 20 hour drive from Louisiana with three kids either. :twisted:

All that will get figured out though, maybe I can find a really good deal or something. My question is... what do I do when we get there!

The apartment is in Jersey City. How realistic is the idea that its close to NYC? How long does it take to get there? Do you take a train or something? :oops:

I dream of getting dressed up and going into the city with Justin sans kids for one of those amazing 3 hour restaurant meals. Justin wouldn't love the idea, but I think he would come around. (Hopefully we can afford a meal like that after the airfare cost.)

Then what is the name of that huge kitchen store? and then pizza, bagels, Momofuku Milk Bar!!

What do I need to know? Besides everything? I really hope we do not have to wait until next summer, but if I did at least we would have more money and time.

Post subject: Re: Jersey City, New Jersey...NYC!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:30 pm 

Becca,
I live in NYC so I can answer any questions you have.
First, Jersey City is very, very close to NYC and very easy to commute in. You can take the Path train or a bus and both are very convenient. Takes about 20 minutes.
There are many good markets, great food stores, as you can probably imagine.
You can download a map of the NYC subway system to your phone - there is an android app.
Any questions at all, feel free to ask!!
And I would love to be your ambassador to NYC - would love to meet you and Justin.
Nance

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:16 pm 

Becca,

As Nance points out, it's incredibly easy to get to the city from Jersey City. My niece lives in Jersey City, and we went to a charming French bistro there (can't remember the name off hand) for her rehearsal dinner last Fall.

You'll most definitely want to go to JB Prince, and then probably also Broadway Panhandler and Bridge Kitchenware. It's also incredibly fun to go to the shops in the various ethnic areas, e.g., Chinatown, for things that are super cheap and not commonly found elsewhere. My favorite places to troll for general shopping are Soho and the Village, although bargains aren't exactly abounding.

I would also highly recommend a trip to ABC Carpet and Home. Although the place is ridiculously expensive, it's fun to window shop, and, Jean-Georges recently opened a new restaurant in the rear of the first floor. It would be very fun to have lunch there. (You'd need reservations.)

I'm not much for the UES (Upper East Side)...I'm much more of an UWS (Upper West Side) girl, as is Nance. The lower East side is fun...was the landing spot for many, many immigrants during the height of Ellis Island (which is also definitely worth a trip to), and has recently been re-gentrified to the point you can't even recognize it. But, it's still fun...Orchard St. is the shopping hot spot.

What other sort of things do you want to do while you're there?

Amy

Edited to add: If you want tickets to a B'way show, Andy and I both have many connections...Andy worked on B'way for 20+ years. They'd be full price, but they'd be house seats. (I miss the good ol' days when house seats were almost always comped.)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:06 pm 

This is awesome. I am so glad to have some friends who know the area! I love all this information. I would like to visit Ellis Island. I bet some Murrays came through there from Ireland. Amy, I am keeping your B'way offer in mind. That sounds great.

I would love to hear what you think I should do there.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:23 pm 

My favorite chocolate place is in the village, LiLac. I always go there when I visit. I also want to visit Eataly, owned by Batali and Bastianich. Have you been there, Nancy and if so is it worth the hype?
the other Nancy :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:12 am 

phoenix wrote:
I also want to visit Eataly, owned by Batali and Bastianich. Have you been there, Nancy and if so is it worth the hype?
the other Nancy :D
Yes, I have been there and do think it's worth one visit but don't think it's all that great. Overpriced and really crowded. But I am, afterall, a jaded NY-er. 8-)

Becca,
I'll make a list of things to do and see and forward it to you.
Nance

and PS - I still haven't been to Ellis Island. Typical for a NY-er: to wait until there are no lines :lol: .

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:40 am 

auntcy1 wrote:
and PS - I still haven't been to Ellis Island. Typical for a NY-er: to wait until there are no lines :lol: . [/color]

The only reason I went is because a group of friends and I decided we HAD to do something touristy. I've never been to the Statue of Liberty, or most of the other touristy things, because (like most NYers) you just never bother to. I have ridden the Staten Island Ferry, but only because I have a friend who lives on Staten Island.

Amy

P.S. Wish I could be there with you guys...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:48 am 

Still haven't been to Ellis island but it is on my list. The 2 places I always recommend is Top of the Rock (Rockefeller Center). Much shorter lines than the Empire State Building and it is open quire late. On a clear night is is beautiful and you get to look at the Empire State Building. The other is the Tenement Museum on Orchard Street. It is an old building and it has been restored to different eras to show what life was like for new immigrants. You have to book ahead for a tour but it is really well worth it. We went with 4 kids and they all loved it to (if you decide to make a trip back with them). There is also an excellent gelato place right across the street...
Our new best food find last time was Anthos Restaurant. Greek inspired cuisine, excellent and a beautiful restaurant, good before a show. And shows... if you take the kids you need to do Lion King, really that good. We saw Billy Elliot last summer. My daughter (the dancer) loved it but I was only lukewarm. I would like to see either Jersey Boys or Wicked. Actually I would like to see NOT a musical but my troop, they love a musical.

Mary

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:34 pm 

Becca,

You should also check out all of the restaurant supply stores on Bowery.

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:45 pm 

Amy wrote:
Becca,
You should also check out all of the restaurant supply stores on Bowery.
Amy
One of the better ones from Bowery moved to Chelsea Market quite a few years ago.
I've found that of the few that are still on Bowery they aren't as good as they were even 3-4 yrs ago. Pricier and much less "friendly".
But I agree with Amy that it's worth the trip to see them Becca.
Nance