Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Disney?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:43 pm 

Would it help if I dressed like a princess? :shock:
13E pumps can be so hard to find (around here anyhow)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:59 pm 

Our Granddaughters (almost 6 and almost 8) went to Disney World 3 or 4 weeks ago. If there were rides they didn't fit onto we didn't hear about it, including roller coasters (which for Disney are somewhat tame; not the case for Busch Gardens, Universal and Sea World).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:59 pm 

They got great security for that! :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:03 pm 

wino wrote:
They got great security for that! :roll:

I thought they had a dedicated weekend for it... :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:12 pm 

Da Bull Man wrote:
13E pumps can be so hard to find (around here anyhow)

Don't tell me you don't remember the pumps I showed you. ;)

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:41 pm 

Disney!! I can't believe I let this get to page two before I found it. :) Yeah 48 inches will buy you every ride I think. My daughter was all good at age 8, and I believe my son is at 7.

I will be back soon with all my pertinent hints and tips, but my number 1 rec is to sign up for: http://www.tourguidemike.com/ today. So worth it!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:55 pm 

I KNEW that would get your attention... :mrgreen:

I looked at your blog because memory told me you had a link at one time but I did not see it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:42 pm 

I too am Disney obsessed. www.disboards.com is another great site.

I can email you my tip sheets, excel spreadsheet to track restaurants, parades, etc. and a few other things. As well as our favourite restaurants. (I hassled Becca into trying one so hopefully she'll like it!)

We've been 4 times, kids were 4/5,6/7,8/9 and almost 10/11. The almost 10 was key since he was still a kid to disney pricewise. :-)
Anyway, the last 2 times there was not one ride they could not get on. We've been in Feb/May/Oct/Jan. The winter months were COLD. Deals abound, we find Disney a very inexpensive holiday for our family. We've stayed in both moderate and value resorts and prefer values but we spend ALL day in the parks (with a break if it's hot for a swim) so the extra amenities at the deluxes didn't appeal. However if you are there only a few days then the proximity of the deluxes is convenient.

And CONGRATS on the girls!!!! I'm sure they have you firmly wrapped around their fingers.

And....the Disney cruise is fantastic. sigh.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:11 am 

WOW Frank . . . two years already! Happy Anniversary to all of you.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:38 am 

We have been in October and mid-May. They were very similar temp wise. If I had the choice of pulling the kids out of school again for a week, I would definitely go back in October. They offer a ticketed event at the Magic Kingdom called Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. Only people with tickets get in. The kids get to trick or treat, there are special fireworks and parade, and all the rides are basically walk on due to the low volume. The kids get to dress up in costumes, as well as a bunch of adults. We found it completely worth the extra cost. We had such a great time.

We always do the dining plan since we prefer to stay onsite. The regular plan includes one fast food type meal, one table service meal, and a snack. This works out well, and it means basically all of your food costs are paid for before you go. We were quite happy with a lot of the fast food options, so it wasn't a problem. This trip though we happened into free dining, so we decided to upgrade to deluxe dining. You get 3 table-service meals a day, two snacks, and a refillable mug per person. It is supposed to be an extraordinary amount of food. I probably wouldn't pay full price for it, but with the free dining I really wanted to try it.

We have stayed at Wilderness Lodge and Coronado Springs. We are actually just as happy at CS which is a moderate as we were at WL- a deluxe. We always rent a car, a lot of people are happy with the buses though.

Tour Guide Mike tells you which specific days to do each park based on what is going on in each. He gives you the green, yellow, and red options. This is huge, especially on the busier times of year. He also offers a ton of fastpass advice that most people do not know about. This advice has allowed us to not wait in a line longer than 10 minutes during both our trips. We ride all the best rides 5-6 times a piece. (A fastpass is a ticket you get that enables you to ride the big rides through a special line instead of in the standby line. They are free. You insert your park tickets in the machine and it spits out a ticket. You can get another one every time the window opens timewise. Usually every 1-2 hours or so.)

There is a ton of other advice on his site that you will want to follow with your two girls. There is a ton of information, to say the least. Even if you are planning a trip for a year or two from now, I would join now. You pay for the service per trip not yearly.