Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Christmas Menu
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:13 pm 

We traditionally have prime rib for Christmas. I just ordered mine (prime cut for $22.95/lb.!!) I only do the prime once a year, but boy, I thought this cold weather was taking my breath away. Au jus, twice bakeds, creamy tarragon green peas and "Chistmas salad" either beets and avocado, or blood oranges and avaocado, sliced, in a lovely spiral shape. And, of course, yorkshire pudding if I can get it to go. The only time I could get it to go was when my MIL was here, and we got into some cheap rose. (Every time I hear "Crackin' Rosie," it makes me cry.) I still can't remember what we did, but she was English, and knew what she was doing. Also, my dad's shrimp cocktail recipe, which involves a lot of hot sauce.

What are you making for Chistmas dinner? Or Christmas Eve?

Last edited by KSyrahSyrah on Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Christmas Menu
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:40 pm 

We're travelling to Los Angeles. I'm not in charge of Christmas dinner but would like to come up with something for the Eve dinner. I'm cooking for a small group, just me, DH, brother, SIL, nephew and niece (11 and 8 y/o). Problem is they're pretty bland, somewhat picky eaters. So my first thought was Chicken Canzanese as the main, with egg noodles, a salad and another side. Problem is it's hard to cook in their kitchen - equipment and ingredients are limited. When I do plan ahead I always travel with my own spices, just to be sure. Other complication is we arrive afternoon of 12/23 so won't be able to shop until 12/24.

Hmmn, I think I might be talking myself into springing for dinner ;)

Nancy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:15 pm 

Going to a friend's and have been asked to bring a loaf of home baked sourdough bread ( no knead), herbed butters and chocolate truffles which I have been dilligently making for the last 3 weeks. It feels a lot like Willie Wonka's here and I am so ready to shut down the factory.
ilene

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:29 pm 

I was hoping for some inspiration from you all. I might make a roast beef, husband asked for some kind of mashed potatoes. One daughter asked for meatloaf. I would like to make something more "out there" (like that Russian food) but what I don't really know. It is not the last minute yet so I am safe.

Mary

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:48 pm 

Actually, I would like to change things up, but when I made coquille St. Jacque (sp?) instead of daddy's hot shrimp cocktail, they acted as though I had murdered the dog.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:07 pm 

I can't believe it - for the first time in I can't remember when we aren't cooking Christmas breakfast or dinner. Feels strange. Maybe they don't like my cooking anymore? Christmas Eve I'm taking potato salad to my brothers. We always have a buffet and I either do the baked beans or the pot salad. Really extravagent, eh?
Fitzie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:08 am 
Site Admin

Mary,

Funny you should mention Russian food. Through one thing and another, some neighbors (12 of them) invited themselves over to my in-laws for Christmas Eve. WTF? I sez. So, if they invited themselves over, I'll cook what I want to cook, and they can eat it, or not.'

So: Hot borscht (recipe on blog, eventually), cheese/potato pierogies with carmelized onions, sourdough-rye bread, and salad. Just to cross national boundaries, Kris is making a trifle.

Christmas morning will be (as it has been for the past 7 years) bagels with lox and all the trimmings. There's an irony in that somewhere.

Christmas dinner? Not sure. I think we talked our way out of a dinner party. If it's just us, probably dungeness and leftover borscht.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:02 am 

Sounds great Josh but the phrase "just Dungeness" caused me some pain.

Mary

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:19 am 

If the weather doesn't intervene, we will be traveling to my Mom's house in North Dakota for Christmas, which means I don't get to cook. We get into tussles about little things like how long the turkey breast should bake and what method should be used to cook it (last time she put it in a covered roaster with a few cups of water, no seasoning and proceeded to bake it for about 4 hours). Since it's her kitchen I've decided to quit arguing, although I did buy her a new chef's knife and sharpener so we can at least cut onions instead of bludgeoning them. To be fair, she is an excellent baker so I can load up on dessert.

We are having our annual solstice party this weekend (a few days early, but who's counting?), and it's going to be a very, um, eclectic menu. Yes, eclectic sounds better than poorly planned. :lol: We're having cream puffs stuffed with smoked almond/cranberry turkey salad, mini pulled-pork sammiches, Swedish meatballs, hummus with pita chips, some kind of warm cheese dip, and the usually party snacks of cheese, crackers, olives, , veggies w/dip and, of course, pickles. I haven't decided on sweets yet but suppose I should make up my mind. Maybe lime/cornmeal icebox cookies (recipe still percolating in my mind) and chocolate tartlets with bourbon. I might make caramel corn if I have the energy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:42 pm 

I was going to make goose, but my family bailed on me for Xmas Eve, so we are having meatloaf, roesti, and salad. One of our bachelor friends might be coming, so I'll add popovers and squash pie, if he does. Xmas Day, we are going to the in-laws for dinner.