Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TY Day planning?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:23 pm 
Site Admin

What's everyone doing for American Thanksgiving?

Current thoughts here are: cioppino, bread, salad, pumpkin bread pudding.

Post subject: Re: TY Day planning?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:19 am 

We (about 30 this year) have been doing TG at my friend Susan's. She live about 2 hours from here right on the border of the French and German parts of Switzerland (she actually lives in the last German speaking village, the next little town over they are all speaking French... very strange). We make a weekend out of it so will get there Sat. afternoon, have a happy hour and dinner together at a restaurant in Murten. http://www.murtentourismus.ch/en/welcome.cfm On Sunday we go to Susan's and have a very good dinner that we all put together. I am in charge of sweet potatoes and leaf shaped sugar cookies this year. I still haven't picked my sweet potato recipe. I might do the roasted ones from CI as you have the option of not peeling them and I think they will reheat well (I am doing them on Saturday before I go).

I am predicting an overabundance of some excellent eats. I am full already.

Mary

PS any sweet pot. ideas would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:21 am 

Google "Edna Lewis Sweet Potato Casserole." We love it. It was in a Food & Wine Thanksgiving feature with Scott Peacock several years back and I've made it every year since. I can't decide if it's a vegetable or a dessert.

Fitzie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:16 am 

I did google that and it looks like it might be a go. There is one on epicurious that I really like that also has pecans but it is a bit soufflé-like and I don't like how it reheats.

Thanks!

Mary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:51 am 

I am going to a friend's for TG with her family and other friends. I get the same assignment I had last year....bread (no knead), herbed butter and a lemon meringue pie. I have always used the original CI recipe, but have always had weeping meringue, so trying the recipe in "Pie in the Sky", at least for the meringue.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:52 am 

Don't laugh, but family loves this recipe from.......Reynolds Wrap. Cranberry Apple Sweet potatoe packet:

http://www.reynoldspkg.com/reynoldskitchens/en/recipes/recipe_search.asp?RecipeID=122&Step=ShowRecipe

During the summer I usually BBQ a turkey, and this was one that was easy to do on the 'Q, but now they want it at T-giving.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:21 am 

That looks delicious but I think Susan would hit me over the head if I asked her to fire up the grill. I am going to put that aside until summer (note to self, freeze some cranberries).

Mary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:46 am 

Going to be a small gathering this year, just 12 people. Last year I made a kick-as pumpkin cheese cake and I was the only person who had any, so this year it's just pies.
I like to split the turkey and roast it on a bed of stuffing. I can use two pans and get two stuffings, which is just fun. Mashed potatoes, roasted sweet potatoes with no sugar added, green beans or broccoli and some salad. I already have the cranberry relish in the freezer-we forgot to get it on the table last year!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:08 am 

Mary -- CI's roasted sweet potatoes do not reheat very well. They're still delicious, but very mushy. I have a recipe for a sweet potato casserole that cooks nicely in a slow-cooker if you're interested.

We are either going to my FIL's for dinner or having frittatta if they're not doing a get-together. We just had everyone over for the baby's birthday this last Sunday and I'm all feasted out for a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:38 am 

Thanks,that is good to know. I don't have a slow cooker, they are pretty much unknown here but I have seen them (where I am not sure now). I am slowly getting tempted to get one, often for things like the sweet potatoes more than cooking anything in it. I just got a new car and an iphone so I am trying to only buy very small things that are not readily noticed (jewelry pops to mind).

Mary