Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: VD meal out?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:19 pm 
Site Admin

My sweetie and I don't go out for valentine's day itself, of course. Too expensive, too mediocre.

But, we went out tonight to our favorite french restaurant in San Francisco -- Chapeau!

Me: blue cheese tart, calvados palate cleanser, boulliabase. Kris: mixed green, grape and goat cheese salad, mussels meuniere. Dessets: profiterioles, french toast in hazelnut sauce, lemon tart.

So, plans?

Post subject: Re: VD meal out?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:35 am 

We are off to a ski vacation in Saas Fee (near Zermatt) so it just might be fondue. I have not reminded my husband about VD so I am supposing it will be a non-event.

See you in a week.

Mary

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:16 am 

We used to go out to lunch at a $$$ NYC restaurant the day after V-D but stopped doing that a few years ago because once something becomes a routine it's no longer fun. So now we don't really acknowledge V-D. It's just a Hallmark day.
Nancy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:34 am 

DH is Australian, so he never really "got" V-day. So, we don't do much. I enjoy the cards, though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:42 am 

We don't usually go out for VD either. I did get flowers and a lovely card. I'll cook today. No big deal and the foods better here.

Laurie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:10 am 

Surprised my two favorite women (the live-ins include She That Is Obeyed and her 81 year old, indestructible mom) with home-made: waffles, crushed strawberries, whipped cream, fresh orange juice, and French press coffee. The Gong show was kicked up a notch yesterday when I accidentally got some broken glass into the FIRST batch of strawberries :x and carried on into this morning when I discovered that my yeast-driven batter failed to rise over night, hence, necessitating a whirlwind bout in the kitchen to produce a pretty damn good Betty Crocker variation on buttermilk batter when you don't have any buttermilk (less flour, more eggs, no baking soda, more baking powder, and folded in well-whipped egg whites :o ) did the trick! Got 2 kisses as a tip!! :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:10 am 

There really aren't any good restaurants in our hometown and I don't feel like driving up to Mpls for a meal, so we will stay at home. I have no idea what we will make for dinner - it may well be leftovers!

My brother and his girlfriend were here since Friday so we have been busy cooking big meals.

DH surprised me with a 2 lb. box of Holl's chocolates, my favorites. I didn't get him anything!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:31 pm 

We ( DH, DS, DD, and her friend) went a chain restaurant, at their request, and we went to see "Valentine's Day." Funny and charming, reminded me of the English movie, "Love, Actually. " And I gave Tony two valentines, and a naughty card.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:41 pm 

My g/f wanted steak, so steak it was. Had escargot as an appetizer (well, the one we are going to talk about). Main course was caesar salad (all ingredients home-made, of course) and rib steak; it was sous-vide to get to very rare, then seared on very very hot lump charcoal grill (yeah for northern grilling!). Very very good. Dessert shall remain undiscussed.

Sure it was simple, but very tasty nonetheless.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:31 pm 

Paul - I wish I had done what you did! My family acts as though its an imposition to cook! Who are these people? Do they recognize me? Does anyone else come across this?