Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:21 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Christmas Menu?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:42 pm 

I love lasagna and small parties when the company is good. After a Hanukkah that was less than rollicking I am just not so pysched about the Christmas part of this deal. That is just Christmas dinner though and I have lots of fun things going on the next week. The next few months really so I am officially stopping the whiny thing.

Mary

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:26 am 

Pepper Jelly

This makes about 7 cups and will keep for about 1 year

In addition to the one jalapeno I add another plus a sweet and a hot banana pepper or two. You can make it as hot as you like. I can never seen to get it hot enough for me. No matter how many hot peppers I add it is only a little spicy.

2 cups coarsely chopped red bell peppers, ribs and seeds removed from 1 or 2 red peppers

1 large jalapeno pepper, ribs and seeds removed for less heat if desired, coarsely chopped

1 ½ cups cider vinegar

1 teaspoon salt

6 ½ cups sugar

6 ounces liquid pectin (like certo)

1 In a food processor, pulse peppers and ½ cup vinegar until it’s a coarse puree (you want some texture here.) Transfer mixture to a Dutch oven or large heavy pot. Stir in remaining vinegar and salt.

2 Place over medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally 5 minutes. Transfer to a glass measure – you should have 3 cups – if too much, return to heat for a short while, if too little, add water to make 3 cups. Return to pan and stir in sugar.

3 Bring to a rolling boil, that can’t be stirred down over high heat. Cook, stirring constantly 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in pectin, mixing well so there are no clumps. Taste it and if it’s not spicy enough add a little cayenne or hot pepper sauce. Skim off and discard any foam. Cool 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, then ladle into hot sterilized half-pint (or any size you like) canning jars. Seal, cool, and store.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:33 am 

Thanks Laurie....I will definitely make this after the holidays
Hope you all had a great holiday. I am having friends in for dinner tonight. Ham, scalloped potatoes, no-knead sourdough bread, salad and desert will be brought by someone else. I am also having hot buttered rum (ice cream base) during appetizers, cause it is frigid here (beautiful, but very cold)
ilene