Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Side/main dish idea for TY Day
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:53 pm 

O.K. Once again I am translating so sorry in advance for any mistakes.

Pumpkin-Sweet Potato Gratin

1/2 lb cubed bacon (our bacon is a bit different... less fat more meaty I think it is smoked pork belly but don't quote me)
-----
1 finely chopped onion
3 Tb. Italian parsley finely chopped
----
1.3 pounds pumpkin (I used butternut, the kinds suggested are Hokkaido and Potimarron)
1 lb sweet potatoes (both in 5 mm slices)
----

3/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
pepper
3 Tb pumpkin seeds (the green kind or I used mixed seed and that was quite good)
butter

1. Brown bacon and drain on paper towels.
2 Reduce heat and add onion and parsley, cooking for 3 min.
3. Alternate slices of sweet potato, pumpkin and bacon in a fatted 2 1/2 qt gratin form
4. Mix cream with onion mixture and nutmeg. Season. Pour liquid over the vegetables, top with pumpkin seeds and dot with butter. Cover with aluminum foil.

Bake for 35 minutes in an oven preheated to 450°F. Remove foil and bake for 10 minutes more.

Thinking about this again, I would suggest you replace the bacon with a vegetarian substitute rather than just leaving it out. The smoky, saltiness really complimented the sweetness of the potatoes and pumpkin.

Mary

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

Mary,

Hmmm, might be hard to substitute for the bacon in a recipe that simple; veggie substitutes aren't anything like the real thing. While I can do a certain amount with smoke salt, mushrooms and/or dried tomatoes, I'm not sure it would be the same.

Will case my cookbooks ...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:53 pm 

O.K. how about this one.

Summer Vegetable Gratin
1 lb. zucchini, ends trimmed and sliced crosswise into 1⁄4-inch thick slices (see note)
1 lb. yellow squash, ends trimmed and sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices (see note)
1 ¾ teaspoons table salt
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 medium onions, halved lengthwise and sliced pole-to-pole (about 3 cups)
¾ teaspoon ground black pepper
2 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves
1 ½ lbs. ripe tomatoes (3 to 4 large), sliced 1⁄4-inch thick
1 slice large white sandwich bread, torn into quarters
2 ounces grated Parmesan cheese (1 cup)
2 shallots, minced (about 1/4 cup)
¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1. Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Brush 13 by 9-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon oil; set aside.

2. Toss zucchini and summer squash slices with 1 teaspoon salt in large bowl; transfer squash to colander set over bowl. Let stand until squash releases at least 3 tablespoons of liquid, about 45 minutes. Arrange squash slices on triple layer paper towels; cover with another triple layer paper towels. Firmly press each slice to remove as much liquid as possible.

3. Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add onions, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened and dark golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Set aside.

4. Combine garlic, 3 tablespoons oil, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and thyme in small bowl. Layer zucchini and summer squash alternately in greased baking dish in four rows lengthwise fitting them tightly, making only one layer. Using pastry brush, brush half of garlic-oil mixture over squash. Arrange caramelized onions in even layer over squash. Slightly overlap tomato slices in single layer on top of onions. Brush remaining garlic-oil mixture evenly over tomatoes.

5. Bake until vegetables are tender and tomatoes are starting to brown on edges, 40 to 45 minutes. Meanwhile, process bread in food processor until finely ground, about 10 seconds. (You should have about 1 cup crumbs.) Combine bread crumbs, remaining tablespoon oil, Parmesan, and shallot in medium bowl. Remove baking dish from oven and increase heat to 450. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture evenly on top of tomatoes. Bake gratin until bubbling and cheese is lightly browned, 5 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle with basil and let sit at room temperature 10 minutes before serving.

Notes:
The success of this recipe depends on good-quality produce.Try to buy zucchini and summer squash that have roughly the same diameter. While we like the colors of this dish when made with a combination of summer squash and zucchini, it tastes just as good when made with only one or the other. An ovensafe gratin dish can be substituted for the 13 by 9-inch baking dish, as long as it’s of similar size.

Categories:
Vegetable, Vegetarian
Keywords:
Easy Vegetable Vegetarian Summer

Mary

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:04 am 

Eons ago, I had a 2nd generation Italian friend who raved about her dad's Italian style wild rice stuffing. I asked her what was in it because she was not a cook and didn't have the recipe. With those ingredients, I made my own super version (which I DID NOT record, so it was truly unique!). It was a big hit and I wish I had recorded the recipe but it shouldn't be too difficult to create. It went something like this:

Mainly it was cooked long grain rice with wild rice, seasoned with cooked sweet and hot italian sausage, melted BUTTER in copious quantities ala Julia!, sauteed celery, onion, fennel, sage, S&P, parsley, minced mushrooms, finely chopped spinach with pine nuts, held together with some beaten egg and some bread crumbs as well. And using broth as needed of course, baked in a buttered casserole. If I had it to do over now that I know better, I'd add in diced sauteed fennel root and I'd use sweet onions, perhaps even some finely grated carrot or finely diced sweet red peppers.

I don't see why you couldn't do this with something like the frozen Morningstar crumbles, just adding in extra seasonings to mimic the sausage's fat, S&P, partially crushed fennel seeds and pepperoncino flakes. I've used the crumbles for chili and spaghetti sauce before and they give a nice texture and pretty decent flavor too. I'm sure they don't come in the Italian sausage version but not too difficult to jazz the "plain vanilla ones" up appropriately.

I actually used a high ratio of veggies in this as I do in all dressings/stuffings I make - I like my veggies and find 95% bread stuffings boring. I used both minced mushrooms and lots of sliced too because I love them. I would think if you just used some smaller amount of minced, you'd get the earthiness nuance but not the texture most mushroom haters dislike.

Anyway, just an idea. Now I've recalled this dish, I may have to make it this year! Let us know what you decide...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:14 am 

In Delia's Vegetarian Collection there are quite a few worthy contenders: vegetarian moussaka with ricotta topping, pizza with mozzarella and sun-dried tomatoes, cheese and parsnip roulade with sage and onion stuffing, carmelized balsamic and red onion tarts with goat cheese, vegetarian shepherd's pie with goat cheese mashed potatoes, twice baked goat cheese souffles with chives (in individual ramekins) and others. I've found most of her recipes to be easy and delicious.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:01 pm 

How about a ratatouille? Or some eggplant dish, you must have several good ones.

How about a rice salad (brown rice, vegetables, served at room temp).

I keep thinking back to CI's vegetable torta. Actually thinking of making that myself for TG dinner.

eb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:48 am 

How about stuffed cabbage? You could make the filling with winter squash and rice with loads of mushrooms and leeks to keep it in the t-day flavor ball park. Bake them with a creamy mustard sauce.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:07 pm 

Josh,
I love the sweet potato gnocchi idea....could you point me to that recipe per chance????
Could I serve that as a side, to be covered with gravy???????

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:34 am 
Site Admin

Jax,

Gnocchi, covered with gravy? No, it's wrong. I won't help you do it ...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:55 am 

Actually, when I was in Venice I ate at this really nice restaurant and I ordered a Gnocchi dish. It was beef tips in a brown gravy served over Gnocchi. It was very good!