Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Thanksgiving plans?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:02 pm 

So Becky, was the Cuban Thanksgiving weird?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:39 pm 

Actually, the relatives weren’t there, so it was just my family, but my nephew decided to go vegan three weeks ago and only made turkey cause my brother said he wouldn’t come if no meat was on the menu. The vegan stuff was pretty good for someone with very little practice.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:53 am 
Site Admin

Alina, Becky:

Hey, I'm planning to do Cuban for Christmas Eve. We have a guest who's celiac, and Cuban food has a lot of wheat-free options. Any tips? I've already ordered 4 cookbooks from the library.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:52 pm 

Sorry Josh, my family always had "Lechon Asado" with black beans and rice, Cuban bread and a large salad for Christmas. When I was little in Cuba, there was also guinea hen, ham and turkey. No help there.
Some families add Tostones (fried unripe plantain) with mojo, malanga (similar to taro root) with mojo, yucca with mojo as well. I do have recipes for those though I don't make the malanga or the yucca myself.
A couple of tasty options would be malanga fritters (no flour needed) and boyitos de carita (black eyed pea fritters). I can post those recipes for you if you'd like.
For dessert Cuban flan (not made with condensed milk), Torticas de Moron (a sable type cookie) and pastelitos de guayaba. (the dough has flour).
If you have an idea for a dish, I can look to see if I have any recipes in my mom's collection or my Cuban cookbooks (I have a couple my mom brought from Cuba) as well as some good ones published here.
Cubans eat heavy on meats and starches and very light on cooked veggies.

Here's one that was often served at my Grandpa's for Christmas
CHAYOTE RELLENOS

Oven Temperature: 375°F

Servings: 4

Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes

4 chayotes cut in half lengthwise
1 tsp. vanilla
4 eggs yolks
3 TBS. all purpose flour
¼ lbs. raisins
¼ lbs. almonds
1 TBS. cream
17 TBS. 1% milk
2 TBS. butter
5 TBS. cracker crumbs
½ tsp. kosher salt
1 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Boil the chayotes until soft about 35 minutes. Remove the pulp taking care to not break the skin. Sieve the pulp and then place with the milk, butter, flour, sugar, salt, and the egg yolks in a saucepan. Cook, stirring continuously until it becomes thick. Reduce the heat and add the vanilla and the raisins. Fill the skins. Put the almonds with the cracker crumbs in the food processor, process together and then put the mixture over the filled halves. Place the filled halves on parchement on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated 375°F oven for 20 minutes.

Recipe Type: Almonds, Cuban Food, Desserts

Author: Hilia's Recipe

and this was often my mom's contribution: You could sub almond flour for the ap flour.
WALNUT TORTE WITH CHOCOLATE SYRUP

Oven Temperature: 350°F

Servings: 8
Yield: 2 8" layers

Preparation Time: 35 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour

TORTE
4 Eggs, Separated
1 cup Sugar
2 TBS. Sifted Flour
½ tsp. Table Salt
½ tsp. Baking Powder
2 cups Chopped Walnuts
1 TBS. Dark Rum
MERINGUE FROSTING

CHOCOLATE SYRUP

TORTE

Grease two 8” pans and cover bottom with wax paper and grease again.

Sift flour with salt and baking powder. Beat egg whites to stiff peaks and set aside.

Beat egg yolks until thick and add sugar slowly until well mixed. Add the dry ingredients with the nuts, and then the nuts, beating slowly with wooden spoon. Slowly incorporate the beaten whites to the mix yolk and dry ingredient mixture. Put batter in prepared pans and bake in middle rack at 350° for 25 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.

MERINGUE FROSTING
2 Egg whites
2 TBS. Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
To make frosting. beat sugar to soft peaks, add sugar a TBS. at a time, add vanilla and continue to beat until stiff peaks. Spread between layers and on top. Leave sides without frosting. Top with chocolate syrup. Store in refrigerator.

CHOCOLATE SYRUP
Original called for regular cocoa and ½ tsp. vanilla and 1 tsp. table salt.

1 cup dutch process cocoa
1 cup water
2 cups sugar
1 tsp. fine sea salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract

In a shallow pot, mix water and cocoa until it forms a paste. Add sugar, stir and cook till boiling. Boil for 3 minutes, no more. Put through sieve to remove any crystallized bits and cool. Refrigerate when cool. Will last for weeks in refrigerator. If it gets too thick to pour, put in microwave on medium for a few seconds until it becomes pourable.

Recipe Type: ALINA'S ADAPTATION, Cakes and Tortes, Chocolate, Cuban Food, Desserts, Grandma Hilia, Meringue, Walnuts

Author: Nitza Villapol
Source: Adapted from Cocina al Minuto Hilia’s kitchen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:42 pm 
Site Admin

Alina,

Wow, nifty recipe, thanks! I've not seen chayote used for a sweet dish before.

Current tentative plans are:

- tostones
- empanadas (cornmeal crust) (not sure about filling, probably cheese)
- moros y christianos
- pork of some kind
- some kind of shrimp dish
- pumpkin flan

I was also thinking about yuca with mojo, but the idea hasn't been popular with the family so far.

The pork is because (a) I read about Christmas Eve in Cuba and everyone says that a roast leg of pork is traditional, and (b) we have one attendee with a seafood allergy (yes, in addition to the person with celiac). I'd love a pork dish that is a bit less work than the traditional leg of pork. I've found a few recipes for pork mojo done in the slow cooker, but none that look trustworthy yet.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:55 pm 

Hi Josh, below is what I do. If I can't get a half leg of pork, I use pork shoulder (it does not slice as well for Cuban Sandwiches later).I don't like chunks of fat with the meat, so I trim it well and use the bits of fat with a little meat along with the skin to make cracklings at a later time, not needed with the meal IMHO. All the foil is so I don't have to scrub later. I like my meat fork tender. I love the crispy part, so I turn it once under the broiler. My son loves the onions on the beans. I do my mojo by eye so no recipe. Here's a link for empanadas since cornmeal does not sound Cuban. Guava and cheese are typical, but cheese alone might be ok. url=https://thecastawaykitchen.com/2016/01/aip-picadillo-empanadas[/url]

CUBAN PORK ROAST

I marinate it in the foil and close it really well to avoid odor transfer in the fridge. I then take it out of the refrigerator and put it in the oven. It also makes the roaster cleanup much easier. After is is cooked, I take it out, let it rest and then cut it and put it back in the roaster this time with new foil just covering the pan, not the meat, for easier cleanup. I put it under the broiler to crisp it up some and rewarm it. I save most of the liquid from the pan and just put a little of it back in the roaster when I put it under the broiler. I reheat the rest in the microwave and serve it in a gravy boat. along with the mojo of course (the sauce, not the drink).

5 stars -

Servings: 12

Preparation Time: 1 hour
Cooking Time: 5 hours and 50 minutes
Inactive Time: 72 hours
Total Time: 78 hours and 50 minutes

8-10 lbs. front half of a fresh leg of pork preferably boneless
1 cup sour orange juice or use a combo of oj and dry sherry and a bit of lime juice
1 large onion
8 cloves of garlic smashed well with some salt
kosher salt
1 TBS. dried oregano (ground if I have it, if not crushed dried leaves)
1 TBS. ground cumin

Have the butcher bone the front half of a fresh leg of pork. Save the skin and some of the extra fat for homemade cracklings.

The key to a tasty and juice roasted pork is to marinate it in sour orange juice. If you can't get real sour orange juice (which I buy from cubanfoodmarket.com) I use regular oj and dry sherry and a bit of lime juice

Slice at least one huge onion, 2 if they are just large. Smash at least 8 garlic cloves with some kosher salt, Make holes all over the roast with a knife and Insert the garlic in the holes, top, bottom, side and end (and if boned, I unroll it and do in on the inside as well). I put it both in the fatty parts and the meat. The roast looks like it was hit by an apprentice knife thrower when I am done. Then sprinkle it all over with more kosher salt, dried oregano (ground if I have it, if not crushed dried leaves) and some ground cumin.

Use a at least two layers of foil in the roasting pan, one going the long way and another over that going the short way, enough to cover the roast completely so the fridge does not end up smelling. The roast then goes in the roasting pan, with some of the sour orange on the bottom to cover and a layer of the sliced onions. The roast goes on top with more sliced onions spread all around it and more of the sour orange juice poured over the top.

Let the marinated roast sits in the fridge for at least one whole day, 3 is better.

Take the roast out of the refrigerator at least one hour prior to roasting. Preheat oven to 350°.

Place roasting pan in preheated oven and roast 30 to 35 minutes per pound at 350 °. Be careful when you open up the foil, as it will be very hot and steam will come out. Start with that amount of time and check by sticking a fork in it. I like mine really tender since I am going to chunk it not slice it. So when you can almost pull it apart with a fork it is done.

After it is cooked, take out the roast and let it rest on a cutting board for 20 minutes. Then cut it into bite sized chunks. Save the liquid and onions from the pan. Throw away the oil foil and cover the bottom of the roasting pan with a layer of heavy duty foil. Put the pork chunks back in the pan and put a little of the reserved liquid back in the roasting pan with the chunks of pork. Put it under the broiler to crisp it up some and rewarm it.

Reheat the rest of the reserved liquid and onions in the microwave and serve it in a gravy boat. along with the mojito of course (the sauce, not the drink).

Recipe Type: Cuban Food, Grandma Hilia, Main Dish, Meat, Pork

Author: MINE

BLACK BEANS MAMI'S*****

DO NOT SKIMP ON OLIVE OIL. Can add a TBS. of sherry vinegar before serving. Can be frozen for a long time. For 1 cup dry beans use 2 cups water.

Servings: 8

Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Inactive Time: 12 hours
Total Time: 12 hours and 45 minutes

1 lb. dry black beans
2 bay leaves
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 large Spanish onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut in half
1 tsp. dried oregano
salt to taste
4½ cups water (up to 8 cups)

Wash and seed bell pepper and cut in quarters. (You can chop it you prefer). Dice onion and peel and mash garlic with a bit of salt. Wash beans well and remove any bad beans and debris.

Some folks prefer to make a sofrito in the pressure cooker first, with 2 TBS. of olive oil, onion, garlic. pepper and oregano before adding the beans and the bay leaf. I've done it both ways and usually do it the lazy way i.e., dump all in IP at once.

FOR UNSOAKED BEANS

After rinsing beans, add rest of ingredients. Add water so it is at least 1" over beans. For the IP for every 1 lb. of dry beans, use 4 cups water. More if you prefer soupy beans. Cover and cook at high pressure for 25 minutes Use a minimum of 10 minutes NPR. IP Beans/Chili" button defaults to 30 minutes, but has two other presets in it, so if you press "Adjust" you will get 40 minutes, and again you will get 25 minutes. If tenderness is good, take a cupful of beans out, smoosh them and put them back in to thicken the liquid.
For extra-tender and creamy beans, allow pressure to release naturally. For firmer beans, use quick-release valve on an electric pressure cooker. If not tender enough close cooker and do another 10 minutes and check again. If there is too much liquid, leave cover off and boil to reduce some of the liquid. There should be some liquid, but it should not be thin and soupy.

TO PRE SOAK:

For 1 lb. of dried beans, dissolve 6 TBS. kosher salt in 4 qts of cold water. Soak the beans at room temperature for 8 to 24 hours (not more). Drain and rinse them well before using. If you aren’t able to use them immediately, drain, transfer to a zipper-lock bag. and refrigerate for up to four days affect to flavor or texture. Reduce cooking time to 20 minutes.

Recipe Type: ALINA'S ADAPTATION, Beans, Bell Peppers, BEST, Cuban Food, Grandma Hilia, Onions, Printed, Side Dish

Author: Grandma Hilia
Web Page: http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/10/how- ... beans.html

Last edited by Cubangirl on Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:29 pm 
Site Admin

Alina,

Wow, thank you!

Yeah, cornmeal-crust empanadas are Venezualan rather than Cuban. However, since one of the guests is a celiac sufferer, it's what I'm going with.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:54 pm 

You are welcome. To me using coconut flour sounded better than cornmeal. I often sub almond and/or coconut flour for ap with good results. Hope it turns out well. Hope your tostones turn out well. I find it hard to find truly green plantains here. Remember the key is to fry to soften them, drain and then flatten them as much as possible for second fry. I like them just with salt, but some prefer to dip them in mojo.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:39 pm 
Site Admin

Alina,

I'm thinking about the sequence of cooking everything and ... any idea how far ahead you can do the first frying of the plantains? Could I do it the day before, and just do the final frying before the meal?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:29 pm 

I'm not sure how a lot ahead would affect the plantains texture. I would think that if you did the first fry, flattened them and refrigerated them if would work. Just bring them to room temp before second fry (ala french fries). Do you have time to do one like that ahead to try? I'd volunteer to try for you, but I've not seen green enough plantains here recently.