Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Year's Eve...the most I've eaten all season!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:36 am 

Mainly because it was Mexican! :P

Only four of us got together, but we sure ate a good amount of food. Almost all of the recipes were from Truly Mexican, and the only other one - a guacamole with bacon, which a friend brought over and everyone loved, was from Fiesta at Rick's. We started out with that, and the Pumpkin Seed and Jalapeño Dip, p. 198 in TM, as snacks, while we were getting some of the other food ready.

Most I made up in advance, but still had to do the usual heating up and preparing. I made a bunch of poached chicken thighs in advance, and cut to size for the different dishes. Most were just tacos, but the first thing after the snacks was the Yellow Mole from Querétaro, p. 163, which we served as a soup, as it had a masa flavor in it from the thickener, plus I figured we would be eating enough tortillas later! The pineapple and the other flavors were delicious together, and we were surprised at the parsley in it. We each even tried a bit of cilantro in a bite of it, to see how it compared, and all agreed that the parsley was better!

After this, we started on the tacos. I used some 3 Chile Adobo, p. 129, with shrimp (p. 132), as well as some cooked chicken. Shrimp was better, but the chicken probably would have been better braised in it - this was just heated up in it. Then there was the Pipián Verde Totonaco, p. 193, which all but one of us thought tasted better with the chicken, rather than the shrimp (though both were delicious). And the chicken with Red Peanut Sauce, p. 200, which was one person's favorite, and I think would have been even better with pork, though it is suggested for both. And maybe my favorite (though really hard to say!), the Shrimp and Scallop Enchiladas with Hazelnut Mole, p. 224. This sauce was also good with chicken, the the shrimp and scallops were definitely best.

One friend brought some Mexican beers, and a couple were good, but none seemed very high in hops, like I like them with spicy foods. There was a Negra Modelo - a somewhat dark beer, which I usually do not like, but this may have been my favorite of the four. Then there was an amber (what I usually prefer) Dos XX, which was also nicely flavored, and stood up to the food, without masking it. The others were too mild...I guess that's why I don't remember the names! LOL Also, because it is 4:30 in the morning may have something to do with it. :o :D

Happy New Year to everyone!

Post subject: Re: New Year's Eve...the most I've eaten all season!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:12 am 

Dave, that sounds wonderful! Can I come over to your house next year!! I am definitely going to be probing into that book more,very soon....as I will be retired at the end of January!! I'm too excited for my own good.. :mrgreen:

Karen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:57 am 

Thanks for the wonderful and mouth-watering summary :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:43 am 

Wonderful summary and congratulations on doing all the cooking! Sounds like it would be appropriate for a Super Bowl as well. We had lobster for the 32nd straight year, which certainly didn't require nearly that much effort.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:46 am 

Dave,

That all sounds delicious. But, I'm not cooking for a while...

I like Lindsay's idea of a menu like that for the Superbowl, especially since the Broncos will be playing. (I'm not jinxing myself, am I?) Lindsay, we are doomed to be "enemies" for the next few weeks. ;)

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:36 am 

Amy,

I know you're joking about not cooking for a while. What, for three days? :D

The great thing about most of those things I made was that they can be done in advance - great thing for superbowl and similar parties. In some of the dishes I was thinking of making the author stated that they were best served immediatlely, while in the ones I made he stated that they stored well, and some that they were bettter when made in advance. It's nice that he gives this bit of info at the end of the recipes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:12 pm 

lol Dave...you're probably right. I am going to make prosciutto and gruyere sandwiches for dinner, because I have so much leftover prosciutto from the charcuterie board last night, and a loaf of brioche in the freezer. That, and as predicted, I've got lots of pâté (country, rabbit and duck), but I think I'll just freeze that.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:51 pm 

yum yum. We ate from the freezer since I worked a half day - calamari, penne with my tomato sauce made with ribs and Soprano's meatballs. Then off to a friend's place with about 15 other families of teenagers and we watched the kids demolish a table full of appetizers (I added a puff pastry wrapped brie with apple butter) and sweets (I added caramel and chocolate covered pretzels and granny smith apples).
A great night and a start to hopefully a fantastic year.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:20 pm 

I was actually kind of surprised I had so much left because there were a whack of teenagers at the party. The daughter of the host ate a lot because I made smoked shrimp quesadillas specifically for her. I think she ate almost a full one before dinner.

I love brie in puff pastry. Decadent.

One good thing is I still have a fairly decent chunk of my favorite cheese left...Brillat Savarin.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:02 pm 

Here is the menu from the Downton Abby dinner party I went to last night:
Mrs Patmores rosemary crackers and stuffed mushrooms
Grilled oysters with lemon butter
Creamy roast leek soup
Poached salmon with hollandaise
Beef Wellington with roasted vegetables
Spinach salad
Trifle

I may never eat again