Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Merry Christmas !
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:04 am 

So what cooking goodies did everyone get this year?

I got the "Family Meal' cookbok by Ferran Adrià which looks very interesting and Photography of Modernist Cuisine (not a cookbook but I can't wait to dig in), a small salt block, a chili pepper chip/dip tray and a matching three bowl set (three in one, connected) for salsa, guac, and queso.

I also got a set of terra cotta spikes that you put a wine bottle onto to water your plants for you, so the neigbors will be more convinced that we are winos.

My dad got the Hamilton Beach Breakfast sandwich maker which I am equally appalled that a frying pan is too difficult and wondering if it works really well and I should get one myself. :P I may borrow it and test drive it.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:45 am 

Merry Christmas! My food gifts were Ottolenghi ( yes!), 2 spice rubs that smell pretty tasty, hot pads, tea and a "wine clutch" looks like a red faux leather purse but holds a bottle of wine and has a cork screw in the side pocket. My husband also got the cookbook from the local hockey team. Just the kind of stuff you would expect young hockey players to love. My fave was pasta with tomato paste and cheese.

Mary

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:50 am 

I got two cookbooks -- America's Test Kitchen: The TV Companion Cookbook 2014 and Japanese Hot Pots by Tadashi Ono. Has anyone heard of the second? Is it any good?

Post subject: Re: Merry Christmas!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:12 pm 

I'm back from a fantastic trip to LA. I didn't receive any food gifts but I did give to my LA family and they were thrilled: Lodge 7-qt enameled Dutch Oven (Carribean Blue), digital thermometer, 10" tongs (with clip to keep closed), set of 9 bamboo spoons, set of 3 lid-lifters, Ina Garten c/b, and a dutch oven spoon-rest clip. A little overkill but circumstances made the excesses of this holiday season irrelevant.

My food gifts (5 mustards and pretzel rolls) were also a big hit. (Many thanks for the Tarragon Mustard Recipe Josh!) I'm giving the last 2 of those gifts tonight. This holiday season has been like the energizer bunny ;)

Wishing everyone a happy and healthy New Year!!

Nance

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:11 pm 

Not many food related presents here but still a great Christmas. I got a meatball maker and a burger press, both of which I can't see using. The meatball maker is a great concept (scoops on scissors) but don't open wide enough and I already own 2 burger presses. These will go back under cover of night as they are from my boys. I ordered the Anova circulator which has arrived in NY but not in time to make it up with my brother :-( - Chris is getting it for me in mid January.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:31 pm 

Mele Kalikimaka! I didn't get any food related gifts but I may treat myself to a Technivorm Moccamaster. I've been eyeing it for over a year now. I love a good cup of java!

Lu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:39 am 

Happy Holidays and Best Wishes for a Joyous and Healthy 2015.

Received three cookbooks: Ad Hoc, Thomas Keller, CI Meat Cookbook and Plenty More by Ottolenghi.

Heading to the New England/Buffalo game at Gillette Stadium tomorrow at 1:00 PM with my son.

Happy 2015!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:19 am 
Site Admin

My only food-related thing was Plenty More

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:30 pm 

Happy holidays everyone! I bought myself an Anova circulator (about which some of you already know). So then I had to buy a cookbook to go along with it and finally a foodsaver. I'm equal parts appalled at the number of purchases, nervous about using them and excited. Now I'm committed :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:40 am 

Welcome to sous vide Nancy. You'll love it. You'll find you use the food saver a lot more than you thought you would. We seal all kinds of things in their original bags, chips, chocolate chips, crackers, etc. Which cookbook did you get?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next