Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Easter Brunch
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:11 am 

Here you go. Enjoy.
EXPORTED FROM LIVING COOKBOOK

POTATO AND SAUSAGE BREAKFAST POPOVER CASSEROLE***** Servings: 6

Asiago or Pecorino Romano can be used instead of the Parmesan or in any combination. This dish keeps well. Can add bacon to sausage layer. This recipe requires careful timing. Once the batter is prepared and set aside to rest, the potatoes can be microwaved while the sausage is cooking. While the potatoes are pan-fried, the springform pan (with the cooked sausage) should be preheated in the oven. Original called for large eggs and whole milk.

Oven Temperature: 425°F

Preparation Time: 30 minutes Cooking Time: 1 hour Total Time: 1 hour and 30 minutes

1 Frieling Springform Pan
2 extra-large eggs
1 TBS. cream
7/8 cup 1% low-fat milk,
1½ tsp. kosher salt divided
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 TBS. unsalted butter
2 scallions
6 slices bacon
12 oz. package bulk sausage meat
¾ lb. Yukon Gold potatoes (about 2)
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
¼ cup grated Asiago cheese
2 TBS. vegetable oil (needed if not using bacon)

Mix cheeses in measuring cup. Peel potatoes and cut into ¼" dice. Chop scallions. Melt butter in microwave.

Line the bottom of a springform pan with aluminum foil (preferably nonstick), attach the sides of the pan, and tuck the foil underneath the pan bottom.

Coat the sides and bottom with butter or cooking spray.

Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 425°F.

Whisk eggs, milk, and 1 tsp. salt in 4 or 8 cup Pyrex measuring cup until well combined. Stir in flour until just incorporated--the mixture will still be a bit lumpy. Whisk in butter until batter is smooth. Stir in scallions and set batter aside while preparing filling.

Toss potatoes with 1 TBS. water in large microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, cut vent holes in plastic, and microwave on high power until potatoes just begin to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.

Cook bacon over medium heat in large non-stick sauté pan or skillet until crisp. Remove to paper towel to drain. Remove all but 2 TBS. of fat and reserve for another use. Add sausage to pan or skillet breaking up clumps, and cook until meat has lost most of its pink color, about 4 minutes. Using slotted spoon, spread sausage evenly over bottom of prepared springform pan. Add drained crumpled bacon to sausage mix. Do not clean pan.

Increase heat to medium high and heat bacon/sausage fat until shimmering. Add potatoes and ½ tsp. salt and cook until potatoes are golden and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain potatoes on paper towels.

While potatoes are cooking, place springform pan with sausage in oven for 10 minutes. Remove pan from oven and, working quickly, sprinkle ¼ cup cheese over sausage and pour batter evenly over filling. Scatter potatoes on top and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake until puffed and golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Remove pan from oven, run knife around edges of pan, and let cool 5 minutes. Release outer ring and, using spatula, transfer casserole to serving plate. Serve.

Recipe Type: Alina's Adaptation, Breakfast and Brunch Foods, Cheese, Cooks Country, Eggs, Potatoes, Sausage, Skillet and Casserole Dishes

Source: COOK'S COUNTRY 12/2006
Web Page: http://www.cookscountry.com/recipe.asp?recipeids=3865

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:15 am 

That popover casserole is one of my favorites. I used to make it a couple times a month for family breakfasts. It's also good with just bacon. The secret is to heed that whole "working quickly" instruction. Definitely have everything ready to go in and get it back into the oven ASAP. Voice of experience. My first one turned out so bad, I'm not sure what made me try it a second time, but I'm glad I did.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:57 pm 

Mary, I love breakfast strudels for brunch, make them the week before and freeze. I double the recipe and freeze half since the package of phylo makes that much. I've used bacon instead of ham too.
http://www.bakersbeans.ca/breakfast-strudels/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:54 pm 
Site Admin

Mary,

Lindsay has some kind of prize-winning recipe involving english muffins. Ask her for it. ;-)

Me, I'm doing matzoh brie. Since it's also Passover!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:58 am 

Lindsay has prize-winning muffins? Do tell, girl.

Jean, I think I may do those breakfast strudels. The make the week before part got me. Plus they are a bit less bready. You freeze them unbaked, right?
I am def doing that popover thing but another time as I really want to do either pancakes or waffles and don't want 2 last minute dishes. I also am going to do one of those asparagus recipes, a fruit salad, sausage and maybe CI's strawberry cream cake for dessert. Or muffins. And muffins? And I also just found a recipe for a lime banana ginger cardamom syrup that I think would be excellent in some sparkling wine or with water, sparkling water and gin?

Thanks for your help. This menu may change again.

Mary

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:17 pm 

I will scan my recipe and email it to you, the make ahead instructions are there. It is frozen unbaked but I *think* there may be a slightly longer time and lower temperature. They are really good!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:24 pm 

Thanks, Jean!

Mary

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:23 pm 

Emailed but here it is for anyone else that is interested
Breakfast Strudels
Creamy seasoned scrambled eggs rolled in crisp phyllo and popped into the oven are an inspired idea for weekend breakfasts, especially when there’s company.

2 Tbsp butter (for sauce)
2 Tbsp ap flour
1 cup milk
½ cup shredded old cheddar cheese (sharp)
¼ tsp salt (approx)
¼ tsp pepper
6 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup diced smoked ham
2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
2 tsp minced fresh chives or green onion tops
½ tsp dried thyme
8 sheets phyllo pastry
¼ cup butter, melted (for pastry)
3 Tbsp parmesan cheese

1) In heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat, stir in flour. Gradually whisk in milk; cook, stirring constantly, for about 5 minuts or until smooth and thickened. Add cheddar cheese, ¼ tsp salt and half of the pepper; stir until cheese is melted. Set aside.

2) In large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, stir together eggs, ham, parsley, chives, thyme, remaining pepper and pinch more salt; cook, stirring almost constantly , for about 3 minutes or until eggs are scrambled and just cooked but still moist. Stir into cheese sauce. Let cool.

3) Place 1 sheet of the phyllo on work surface, keeping remainder covered with damp tea towel to prevent drying out. Brush sheet lightly with some of the melted butter. Fold in half lengthwise; brush lightly with some of the butter. Spoon about 1/3 cup of the egg mixture along 1 narrow end of phyllo, leaving 1 inch border; sprinkle about 1 tsp of the parmesan cheese over egg mixture. Fold sides over to enclose filling; roll up.

4) Brush top with butter. Place, seam side down, on greased rimmed baking sheet. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make 7 more strudels (make ahead: wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to 48 hours, or overwrap with heavey-duty foil and freeze in airtight container for up to 1 month. Un-wrap but do not thaw before baking)

5) Bake in 375 degree oven for 13-16 minutes, or for 35 to 40 minutes if frozen, or until golden. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.

My notes: I freeze on cookie sheets, then bag in freezer bags once frozen. They are VERY fragile this way though, but I don’t have enough room to freeze on the sheets.
I always double this, a standard phyllo pack has about 16 sheets so it just makes sense. Less is more of the filling, I use a 1/3 dry measuring cup and barely fill it. Too much filling makes the bundles burst. Use bacon as well as or in place of the ham (or omit both). Use crumbled thyme, not the ground. Cutting the bundles in half on the diagonal after they are baked makes for great presentation and less waste in a large buffet when people may not each a whole bundle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:52 pm 

jeanf wrote:
Emailed but here it is for anyone else that is interested
Breakfast Strudels
Creamy seasoned scrambled eggs rolled in crisp phyllo and popped into the oven are an inspired idea for weekend breakfasts, especially when there’s company.

Those sound incredible! I am marking this thread so I can make this the next time I have weekend guests.

I know I am late to the party because I was out of town, but I made CI's French Toast casserole from last year's Holiday cooking guide and people raved over it. It was very sweet but very, very tasty.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:49 pm 

Mary, CI's yeasted waffles freeze well for make ahead. Reheat in a low oven on a sheet pan to maintain the crispness (piling them a bit is ok; they won't be as crisp, but they are still good). CI's French Toast Casserole is also a make ahead hit here. Fresh fruit, whipped cream, mimosas, bloody Mary's, and frittatas are great too. A friend of mine also gave me her recipe for crustless quiche which is also excellent, which I will post below:

Marilyn’s Quiche

1 tbsp. butter, softened
2 tbsps. fine dry bread crumbs
9 large eggs, beaten
2 cups creamed cottage cheese (I used 1%)
2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
2 cups jalapeno Jack cheese, shredded
¼ cup flour
1 tsp. baking powder
¾ cup diced ham (6 oz.)
1/3 cup finely chopped scallions
1 tbsp. chopped pickled jalapeno pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter a 10 inch round glass or ceramic baking dish. Coat with bread crumbs; invert dish to discard excess crumbs.
In large bowl, combine eggs, cottage cheese, shredded cheeses, flour, baking powder, ham, scallions and jalapenos. Blend gently.

Pour into baking dish and smooth top. Bake for 45 minutes (I baked it for an hour).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next