Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Culinary New Year's resolutions
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:58 pm 

Fuzzy, I'm interested in that half brown rice. Do you have a brand name, or is this from a local place for you in SF??

Thanks, Karen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:55 pm 

Amy,

I've been using painters tape (comes off when I want it to) and a sharpie on everything that goes into my freezer for the past several months, and I'm happy to report that I've not eaten pot roast gravy over pasta when I thought I was pulling out ragu since. It's amazing how much things than look alike once they are frozen.

As for resolutions, I'm also going to try to eat healthier....more fruit, veggies, legumes, and fish, and less of everything else!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:09 pm 

Carey,

You're right...frozen stuff pretty much all looks the same. You can tell beef from chicken, but beyond that, who knows?

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:02 pm 

I foodsaver everything I can, and use a sharpie on the extra piece away from the food. Other than that, I use freezer tape on everything else, and that stuff doesn't come off, as a rule. I also use freezer tape on jars out of the freezer, and trying to peel that off after a few years is not easy! Maybe instead of scratching through the date, and writing a new one on a dozen times I should break down and just use a new piece of tape!

The duck I just smoked for NYE was from the freezer, as were the shrimp and chopped chicken in all the other dishes. But I really have to use up all that meat in there, and except for fish and seafood (I don't freeze that very long) I can't remember buying any of that stuff! Now, I just have to remember to use it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:01 am 
Site Admin

Karen,

Well, our local Japanese market re-brands the rice they buy, so I don't know the actual origin of it. However, they have an online store, so you could buy it there if you want:

http://www.nijiyashop.com/user/scripts/ ... duct_id=12

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:06 am 

I am going to spend the early part of this year making food that I think about a whole lot more often than I actually make it.

First up will be the biggest roasting chicken I can find and roasting it with stuffing in the bird. I probably have not done it in twenty years. Oyster stuffing, perhaps?

Next up will be to develop a working procedure for a chicken dish my grandmother used to make. The memory is dim, but she called it fricassee and started by cooking the chicken in a pot until done but not falling off the bone and browned in a cast iron skillet that she called a spider. The gravy she made with it was so good that I may have to shake the rust off of my biscuit making skills. I suspect that the method was designed for excess roosters and old laying hens and may not adapt so well to modern factory chickens.

I am also going to make Eggplant Parmesan at least once a month until I am tired or it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:42 am 

For labeling, I use these, Erasable Food Storage Labels. They stay stuck and are reusable. I used to use masking tape but often the deep freeze detached the tape.

As for culinary resolutions, you all are inspiring and ambitious! Topping my list are less waste -- I've gotten so much better than I used to be, baking more maybe once a month, transitioning to Living Cookbook which has been on the list for a few years (keep waiting for the app so I've been unsure), and of course, planning ahea....................d!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:47 am 

jim262 wrote:
I am going to spend the early part of this year making food that I think about a whole lot more often than I actually make it.

First up will be the biggest roasting chicken I can find and roasting it with stuffing in the bird. I probably have not done it in twenty years. Oyster stuffing, perhaps?

Next up will be to develop a working procedure for a chicken dish my grandmother used to make. The memory is dim, but she called it fricassee and started by cooking the chicken in a pot until done but not falling off the bone and browned in a cast iron skillet that she called a spider. The gravy she made with it was so good that I may have to shake the rust off of my biscuit making skills. I suspect that the method was designed for excess roosters and old laying hens and may not adapt so well to modern factory chickens.

I am also going to make Eggplant Parmesan at least once a month until I am tired or it.

Check your farmer's market. If someone there is selling eggs, they are raising stewing hens. Ask if you can get a couple when they slaughter them.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:12 pm 

MMMMMMMMMMMMM eggplant parm. We love the stuff.
fitzie

Last edited by fitzie on Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:45 pm 

jim262 wrote:

When you have tweaked it to the absolute best recipe, please post. Maybe I'll be harvesting by then! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next