Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Last Supper
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:09 pm 

I am having some dim dum, along with a tea smoked duck, for a sort of informal last supper. I made the duck, and a bunch of quick-pickled cucumber sticks, while the rest is being brought by the other three of the party. I also made a batch of nuoc cham - not Chinese, but a delicious dip sauce with many dim sum, nonetheless.

This will be the second "last supper" this group will have had in 12 days!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:13 pm 

Already 2013 here. We celebrated at a friends, 20 something. Went kind of southern, barbecue brisket, Mac and cheese, coleslaw, biscuits. Ice cream, brownies and scones (Australians were invited) for dessert. Many drinks including 3 shot eggnog. Think I better go sleep something off.

Happy New Year!

Mary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:54 am 

Duck breast with a sweet cherry infused balsamic, sliced over wild mushroom risotto.
For dessert, Harry & David pears (a Christmas gift that was starting to get overly ripe) poached in Riesling, vanilla & a bunch of spices, over vanilla gelato, with a chocolate balsamic drizzle.

Just the two of us - we were watching something on the DVR and didn't even realize midnight had come and gone.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:04 am 

Started with some leek and potato soup. Veal chops (what a revelation, never had them before and they are gooooood), purple grelots (baby potatoes) tossed in a vinegarette, green beans. A small last supper, but not bad considering the lil chunky monkey is only 7 weeks old; we are happy we still get quality food.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:42 am 

Paul,

How did you ever live this long and NOT have had a veal chop?! Shame on you. ;)

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:00 pm 

Good question. Well, it (veal chop) is very uncommon in stores here; non-existant in grocery stores, and we don't have a lot of butchers (and not all carry veal). In restaurants, the veal chop dish often seems like a second tier bail-out/safety dish (the chicken breast or steak is the first tier); there because they needed something for people who don't want anything "unusual". In retrospect, I think I was wrong on that; for one thing, a veal chop was waaay tastier then I expected. For another, I don't think a lot of picky eaters probably eat veal. So, next time I go to a nice restaurant, I might look at that veal chop differently. I'll definitely be cooking it again. Of course, I've had all sort of breaded veal, (my favourite schnitzel is veal and our local grocery store does carry veal scallopini... )., and occasionally in a more specialized prep in a tasting menu; I knew I liked veal, I just didn't realize the chops were so flavourful.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:37 pm 

I never really ate much veal until I moved here, where they practically throw the stuff at you. Chops and steaks are fantastic. Love them on the grill.

Mary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:08 pm 
Site Admin

So, the aborted NYE party:

We were supposed to have a party for around 16 people, mostly the in-laws' friends but including one friend of ours who drove in from the Oregon coast. The friend made it. However, first half of the local guests got sick with a cold that's going around the valley. then, starting at 5:30pm (party started at 7:30pm), we got a freak snowstorm. I say "freak" because we got 1" of snow in 1 hour ... only in an area of about 50mi around centered on my inlaws' house. So most of the rest of the guests turned back due to ice on the roads. We ended up having the 5 of us, plus the two neighbors from next door, and way too much champagne, cheese and guacamole.

On the up side, cleanup took us about 20min.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:47 pm 

I did fresh pasta (love, love, LOVE the KA pasta roller set....can't say it enough since I got them on a recommendation from people here back when we were on TOBB) and CI's fettuccini Alfredo recipe, the real one with all the butter and cream. Tossed in some sauted pancetta, peas, sundried tomatoes and caramelized onions as well as some spicy hard dried Italian sausage that reminds me of a southern Italien version of chorizo. Had it with a lovely Sumac Ridge champagne-style sparkling wine ("Tribute" for those who may be interested; it's the winery's 30th anniversary blend), warm bread, and a green salad with balsamic vinaigrette. Creme brûlée gelato and a store bought version of Marilyn's toffee for dessert. Today we are eating lean to try to restore balance in our arteries.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:17 pm 

Carey, we had fettuccini Alfredo, too, along with a lovely green salad. Crepes Suzette for dessert. Snowed about 5" so glad we weren't out & about. Two old geezers ought to stay home during that kind of weather.

fitzie

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next