Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Last Supper
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:31 pm 

Hoppin' John today. Yum.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:17 pm 

Didja leave a coin under each bowl? :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:27 pm 
Site Admin

JB,

Since veggie Hoppin' John is rather bland, I'm making Indian black-eyed pea curry. Which will be interesting with cornbread and greens ...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:02 am 

Fuzz,
When I'm doing for the veg crowd, I make Crescent Dragonwagon's Black-Eyed Pea Soup/Stew with Arkansalsa and Crème Fraîche.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:04 am 

Dunno what hoppin john is, or why cornbread would seem to be a new years day tradition, but I'm from the wrong side of the 49th parallel. For new years day, I broke down and deboned 3 chickens (boneless legs/thighs really are nicer), cooked all legs/thighs and breasts (SV, will re-therm and finish at consumption time), labelled 'em and put em in the freezer, and made stock. A strong start to the new year fer cooking :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:58 am 

gardnercook wrote:
gardnercook wrote:
Gourmet dinner club has been gathering for the last 10 years. This year I just have to bring desert. Making CI's coconut cream pie cause its one of my faves.

By the way...I cannot make this pie without thinking of Frank and laughing my head off.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:58 pm 

I made chicken stock too...pulled all the odds and ends from the freezer to do it too. Who knew I had stashed so many backs, necks, and wing tips in there? (At one point I was breaking down whole chickens rather than buying parts, so there must have been more than I remembered - I found them while taking stock of what was in the freezer after my planned chicken roast went sideways). Did it in the PC, and chilled it overnight, I'll defat and portion it to freeze this afternoon.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:24 pm 

We didn't have anything traditional for New Years, unless you include something that is traditional for Chinese New Year - Ma Tuan, or fried sesame balls. One of my friends brought them because she saw the thing about the New Year, and figured we needed something sweet, as we rarely have any dessert with oriental dinners. They were the best ones I have ever had, due to the fact that she made some changes to the usual ingredients. She made a Vietnamese version of them, using split, hulled mung beans (the yellow Indian moong dal) to make the paste for the filling, instead of the red adzuki beans. And to make the flavor totally unique and delicious, she used a tb of butter in place of a tb of oil in the filling, and used maple sugar in place of the Chinese slab sugar, in both the rice dough and the filling. She said the intro to the recipe gave her the idea, when she saw the yellow mung bean filling described as "buttery", and the slab sugar flavor compared to maple sugar. Definitely the best find of the evening. From the book Asian Dumplings, though she said the paste was still more than needed when divided into thirds.

Everything except the tea smoked duck ended up with a Thai or Vietnamese taste, as we were just winging it, and they were looking mostly at those books, not the Chinese. Two other CB addicts were looking at that new Vietnamese Home Cooking, and really liked it; only one dim sum recipe looked good for that night (the Steamed Rice Caked, p. 60), but we ended up making that from another book - a simpler recipe, and also using fresh rather than dried shrimp. That turned out really good, and a unique thing about it was that I ground up my own rice powder from jasmine rice. And a strange type of dumpling none of us had ever made before (though I had the ingredients for it on hand), was another from that Asian Dumplings book, Thai Tapioca Pearl Dumplings. It is one made with 1/8" tapioca pearls, and a hole is poked in the dough ball and filled with a small amount of chicken filling, then the dough is pulled around the filling. They are boiled, then topped with oil with crispy garlic. I also had some oil with crispy shallots on hand, and I made a third topping, using some nam prik pao, plus some extra oil from the crispy shallot jar mixed with it. Hard to decide on a favorite of the three.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:07 pm 
Site Admin

Paul,

Hoppin' John is black-eyed peas slow-cooked with ham hocks (smoked pig's feet) and onions. It's traditional New Year's fare for anyone from the South. Since my MIL is from Okalahoma, that's what we have every year, although I make my own non-meat version.

FWIW: hot-smoked salmon makes a decent substitute for ham hocks, but you have to be very careful how much you use.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:55 am 

I think your compass is a bit off, if it shows Oklahoma to be in the South :D .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next