Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Merry, Merry
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:11 am 

My sister gave me a Rufonni copper gratin dish. It's beautiful, but I'm not sure if it's practical for me. Debating on whether I should exchange it.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:40 am 

Amy,

I have two copper gratin pans that I got many years ago, and I rarely use them except for that occasional dinner for two, where appearance means more than usual. This is the reason I took the large one off of my "pot wall" - to make room for something I used much more often. Everyone's cooking is different, so only you know how often you would use it, but they really are more for appearance, than anything.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:09 am 

I got an ice cream maker and an extra bowl. The ice cream maker says "We know you've been wanting one." The extra bowl says "...and keep it coming, lady." :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:16 am 

Amy, I have several copper gratins and use them all the time ... for gratins of course and sometimes for serving. Also use them for enchiladas, mac & cheese, meatloaf, etc., etc. Try it, I think you'll like it, too

fitzie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:21 am 

I go nuttin' cooking related (it is a strange christmas) outside of some flavoured oils and vinegars from a local company called Emulsify. Used some for christmas dinner, wow, they are strong (I used regular oil and vinegar too, but still!)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:36 am 

Amy, that dish looks gorgeous so I'd be loathe to part with it. Love copper. (and as a side note the part of Italy my parents are from is likely where it came from so I'm biased)

Paul, let me know if the oil/vinegar is worth a trip for my hubby. He's spending a crazy amount of time in Ottawa lately.

JB- if you made Marilyn's toffee, add the shards to any icecream in the last 2 minutes or so. Unbleliveably good.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:42 am 

I opened this cool clay cassoulet dish last night!!!

http://www.claycoyote.com/SearchResults ... =CASSOULET

It's the one on the left........

Merry, Merry everyone, Karen

I actually think I may need some of the individual ones on the right hand side.....Hmmmmm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:03 am 

jeanf wrote:

JB- if you made Marilyn's toffee, add the shards to any icecream in the last 2 minutes or so. Unbleliveably good.

Sadly, I did not get to Marilyn's Toffee this year. I did make a great cheese ball, but I don't think there will be enough left for ice cream when the day is out.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:03 pm 

No food/cooking related gifts this year, but I did buy a goat in honor of my friends, via Heifer....so hopefully a family will enjoy milk and cheese and eventually even goat.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:16 pm 

I received a vitamixer and a soda stream, so am one happy camper. But what made me even happier were 1) my daughter's mince meat pies which she made from mincemeat she and her (British) boyfriend had put up last January, and 2) my son's introducing me to sour beer and, since I liked it so much, going out the next day and going to 3 different stores to find an even more sour one so I could compare the two. I feel that I have now truly passed the culinary torch on to the next generation and it was well grasped.

And here's my New Year's resolution - try not to waste any food - the vitamixer should be a step in the right direction - I see carrot tops going into my smoothies. Hope you all had a wonderful holiday

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next