Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Christmas Day - what are you making?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:53 am 

We have a Christmas eve and a Christmas morning thread, but what is everyone making for the main meal?

As per the past 17 years we will be having Christmas with my extended family from my dad's side of the line. There's anywhere from 50-90 people depending on the year and we get it catered, very typical Italian meal of a red and a white pasta, chicken and veal (we switch up these based on what sounds good that year), vegetables, roasted potatoes or rice balls and salad. Everyone brings an appetizer or a dessert - I bring a cookie tray and pretzel rods dipped in caramel and chocolate. I might do some marshmallows this year too.

The 26th we do a late lunch/early dinner at my parent's house so we can exchange presents. My mom is doing a turkey roast and twice baked potatoes. I'm likely bringing CI's mashed sweet potatoes and more pretzel rods.

Meals for the days after that will be rushed and likely eaten in an arena as we have our boys' local tournament, and DH coaches both teams. 8 games plus skills and drills in 4 days. :shock:

Last edited by jeanf on Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Christmas Day - what are you maiking?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:29 am 

Christmas is at my parents this year, so it will likely be the traditional favourites. Turkey, bread stuffing, oatmeal stuffing (this gets cooked in the neck of the bird, whereas the bread stuffing gets cooked in the body cavity), piped potatoes (mashed potatoes mixed with butter, milk and sour cream, piped into little individual mounds and baked), carrots, spinach casserole, homemade dinner rolls, cranberry sauce, and a pickle/olive tray. All finished off with Christmas pudding and hard sauce with vanilla ice cream. We'll roll from the table. The leftovers become turkey, stuffing and cranberry sandwiches, turkey soup, and turkey curry. Also good eats. I love going home.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:45 am 

Christmas Eve will be with my family. We are making beef stew and fried bread. There will be a cheese ball (I'm making a beer and cheddar ball this year), eggnog, and cookies. Dessert is a mix-and-match affair with pound cake, ice cream, rumtopf, and TJ's salty caramel sauce.

On Christmas Day I will make a big (but mostly make-ahead) breakfast of cinnamon rolls, sausage, eggs, and fruit salad. Then we'll head out on the 2 1/2 hour drive to the in-laws'. My husband's step-mother will serve a hideously over-cooked prime rib roast. I've never understood that -- if you don't like pink meat, save some money and buy a piece of chuck to braise. I guess it's just that prime rib is traditional, so that's what she does. Other than the fact that she should never be allowed to roast meat, though, she is a pretty good cook, so the sides will be yummy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:47 am 

I am cooking a pork roast and buttermilk bread dressing. I think I am going to buy a whole bone-in loin and see if I can French it myself. The recipe will be FENNEL AND GARLIC-CRUSTED PORK ROAST WITH WARM QUINCE AND APPLE COMPOST :|

I think I am going to follow the fennel theme to the dressing and use some Italian sausage and some chopped fennel there as well. Others will be doing roasted root vegetables and either antipasti or some kind, green salad or both. Wine is always a bit of a problem with this meal so I am going to go with dry cider instead. Unlike wine, Wegmans has dozens of choices for cider.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:01 am 

No plans yet...might have to go out for Chinese. :) We've been dealing with some family drama so everything is up in the air. If nothing changes, this will be the first Christmas I haven't cooked for some sort of crowd in about 15 years.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:12 am 

This is a special/difficult holiday. My Mom is in home hospice care, and this will be her last Christmas. She's requested Beef Bourguignon, so that's what I'm making. I think I'll make a clafouti for dessert. Pretty straight up French this year.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:30 pm 

jim262 wrote:
I am cooking a pork roast and buttermilk bread dressing. I think I am going to buy a whole bone-in loin and see if I can French it myself. The recipe will be FENNEL AND GARLIC-CRUSTED PORK ROAST WITH WARM QUINCE AND APPLE COMPOST :|

I think I am going to follow the fennel theme to the dressing and use some Italian sausage and some chopped fennel there as well. Others will be doing roasted root vegetables and either antipasti or some kind, green salad or both. Wine is always a bit of a problem with this meal so I am going to go with dry cider instead. Unlike wine, Wegmans has dozens of choices for cider.

Jim, Katie reviewed a sausage and pasta soup on her blog that is really really good. Might be a good fit. And easy to make ahead and add pasta when reheating.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:01 pm 

Jim,

A very fruit forward Sauvignon Blanc would pair with that meal.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:50 pm 

Amy wrote:
This is a special/difficult holiday. My Mom is in home hospice care, and this will be her last Christmas. She's requested Beef Bourguignon, so that's what I'm making. I think I'll make a clafouti for dessert. Pretty straight up French this year.

Amy

Sorry to hear about your mom. This is our first Christmas without mine.

Post subject: Re: Christmas Day - what are you making?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:59 pm 

Thanks JB...sorry to hear about your loss.

Amy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next