Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:56 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: thanksgiving menus - put them here!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:33 am 
Site Admin

I'm doing Moroccan food this year. I've a stack of cookbooks: Paula Wolfert, Jeff Koeler, Ghillie Basan and Kitty Morse*. I'll pull together a menu from this, although at the moment I'm feeling a bit of option paralysis. I think I'm going to do tagine/bread rather than couscous.

One thing I can't figure out though, is what drinks do you serve with Moroccan food? Natively, they don't do much alcohol ...

(* sounds like a tertiary character from an early Bond film, but is actually a serious food writer who lived in Marrakesh for years).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 4:15 am 

Sounds like a great idea. I would go with a rosé or something Spanish. For a cocktail, maybe some kind of riff on mint tea. I bet Darcie has an idea.

We are doing traditional with a bunch of friends. I am doing the stuffing and a birthday cake. I have done sweet potatoes and cookies that look like leaves for years so am looking forward to the change. I usually make the stuffing inside the turkey but obviously not this time. It is a sausage and bread stuffing from James Beard (his mother's, if you please). What is the best way to do this. I would want to make it the day before and bake it before I leave home (about a 1.5 hr drive). I don't want to poison anyone. I think my friend has an extra oven or steamer. Do I need to add extra liquid? Help?

The cake will need its own thread.

Mary

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:39 am 

If you have a crock-pot I'd put it in there. Then there's no worry when you get to your destination.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:44 am 

I do have a crockpot! Great idea. Should I bake it first or cook it in the crockpot? Thanks, Linda!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:54 pm 

Fuzzy - I'd go with either a beer or hard cider rather than wine - I love both with Persian food so I think it would work well with Moroccan.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:30 am 

Bake before you leave home, then keep warm in the crockpot, I doubt you'd have to add more liquid.

marygott wrote:
I do have a crockpot! Great idea. Should I bake it first or cook it in the crockpot? Thanks, Linda!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:30 am 

Bake before you leave home, then keep warm in the crockpot, I doubt you'd have to add more liquid. Also, I'd preheat the crockpot before putting the stuffing in it.

marygott wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:38 am 

I make stuffing in the crockpot all the time, it seems to take less liquid than in the oven.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:49 am 

When travelling with said crockpot, regardless of distance, I wrap mine in a sleeping bag to preserve warmth - this works extremely well!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:48 am 

Excellent! Serious Eats had an a piece on stuffing in a crockpot, they suggested adding an egg to the recipe. They said the sides get crispy put the top looks a bit blah. Could I stick it under the broiler for a couple minutes to crisp up the top as well?

I would like to make the whole thing in the crockpot. This is my plan: make it the day before as we need an early start. Put it in the fridge and then warm it in the morning and take it hot, wrapped up as per wino over the river and through the woods.

Mary

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next