Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: thanksgiving menus - put them here!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:52 pm 

Dry brining (aka Judy-Bird) was THE BEST EVER. Sorry to scream but that's how we felt about this meal. Best, best turkey ever and I'm now a true believer and forever transformed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:38 am 

Becca,
My friend Shannan makes the cheese onion thing, I will see if she will share the recipe. It is very rich and not attractive but YUM. May also cause, how should I say it, "gastric events"

Mary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:43 am 

Nance,
Can you share the recipe for that great dry brine turkey? I'm glad it was so good, I'm looking for something new to do......We have out T-day next week, so I still may have time!!!

Thanks, Karen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:45 am 

Attachment:
image.jpg

Forgot my cookies show and tell: painted, piped and glided.

Mary

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:47 am 

Mary, those look wonderful!!!!!

Nance, I googled "Judy bird" and found several sources, so I should be good, thanks for the great idea....

Karen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:05 am 

Karen,

Just so you make sure you have the right recipe, Judy bird refers to Judy Rodgers of Zuni Cafe. It's a dry brine high heat method.

I also used the same method, and it does make for a spectacular bird.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:39 am 

Here it is:

Recipe: Dry-brined turkey (a.k.a. the 'Judy Bird')

Total time: 2 hours, 50 minutes

Servings: 11 to 15

Note: This is more a technique than a recipe. It makes a bird that has concentrated turkey flavor and fine, firm flesh and that is delicious as it is. But you can add other flavors as you wish. Minced rosemary would be a nice finishing addition. Or brush the bird lightly with butter before roasting.

1 (12- to 16-pound) turkey

Kosher salt

1. Wash the turkey inside and out, pat it dry and weigh it. Measure 1 tablespoon of salt into a bowl for every 5 pounds the turkey weighs (for a 15-pound turkey, you'd have 3 tablespoons).

2. Sprinkle the inside of the turkey lightly with salt. Place the turkey on its back and salt the breasts, concentrating the salt in the center, where the meat is thickest. You'll probably use a little more than a tablespoon. It should look liberally seasoned, but not over-salted.

3. Turn the turkey on one side and sprinkle the entire side with salt, concentrating on the thigh. You should use a little less than a tablespoon. Flip the turkey over and do the same with the opposite side.

4. Place the turkey in a 2 1/2 -gallon sealable plastic bag, press out the air and seal tightly. Place the turkey breast-side up in the refrigerator. Chill for 3 days, turning it onto its breast for the last day.

5. Remove the turkey from the bag. There should be no salt visible on the surface and the skin should be moist but not wet. Place the turkey breast-side up on a plate and refrigerate uncovered for at least 8 hours.

6. On the day it is to be cooked, remove the turkey from the refrigerator and leave it at room temperature at least 1 hour. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

7. Place the turkey breast-side down on a roasting rack in a roasting pan; put it in the oven. After 30 minutes, remove the pan from the oven and carefully turn the turkey over so the breast is facing up (it's easiest to do this by hand, using kitchen towels or oven mitts).

8. Reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees, return the turkey to the oven and roast until a thermometer inserted in the deepest part of the thigh, but not touching the bone, reads 165 degrees, about 2 3/4 hours total roasting.

9. Remove the turkey from the oven, transfer it to a warm platter or carving board; tent loosely with foil. Let stand at least 30 minutes to let the juices redistribute through the meat. Carve and serve.

Each of 15 servings: 564 calories; 77 grams protein; 0 carbohydrates; 0 fiber; 26 grams fat; 8 grams saturated fat; 261 mg. cholesterol; 856 mg. sodium.

Copyright © 2013, Los Angeles Times

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:00 pm 

Thanks Nance! I decided to order the Zuni Cafe cookbook today on Amazon!

Karen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:14 am 

Did the Judy bird as well and it was great. Also did the lemon meringue cake I've been wanting to make and it was so good. But the prize in the family goes to Sean. He packed everything in his car and took off for New Orleans last September, walked into K-Paul's and they gave him a job, half of the time hosting and the other half in the office working on computer and other projects. Anyway since Paul Prudhomme invented turduckens, Wednesday night it's a tradition for a lot if people to go to K-Paul's for turducken, so Sean not only got to eat one cooked by Paul (he doesn't often cook much anymore) but got to be part of dozens being served. Said it was pretty wild, even by New Orleans standards.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:21 pm 

Lindsay,

How fun for him!

Did you end up making the bread salad as well?

Amy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next