Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Real American Thanksgiving
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:17 pm 
Site Admin

Folks,

So, this year for TY Day, we're doing "real American food", by which I mean Mexican food (as opposed to a historically accurate New England Thanksgiving, which would apparently be cornbread and oysters). Here's what I'm thinking so far, but I'd love some suggestions and feedback. The only things I'm certain of is that (a) I want to make a mole, and (b) I don't do meat.

App:
Guacamole, salsa roja, handmade tortilla chips
Ensalada de Nopales

Main:
Blackberry mole seafood enchaladas
Tomato rice with vegetables
Some kind of beans? Not sure at this point

Dessert:
Flan Impossible

I'm a bit concerned that the main course is a bit too carbolicious. Ideas?

Oh, and please share your own TY day plans ...

Post subject: Re: Real American Thanksgiving
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:55 pm 

Josh,

If you wanted "real American food" you'd do something inspired from native American Tribes, not Mexican.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:17 pm 
Site Admin

Amy,

Well, Mexican food is a lot closer to pre-Colombian cuisine than any thing "traditional American" today, which is usually German immigrant cooking, if anything. Some foods, like Tamales and Mole, are largely unchanged from what the Mayans ate.

The problem with American Indian cuisine from North of the Rio Grande is that there isn't much of it; tribes were both devastated and forced to move across the country, so their cuisine is documented only fragmentary form. And includes a lot of stuff, which, let's face it, is the food of hunger. Acorn mush, for example. Southwestern cuisine is more intact, but isn't a lot different from Mexican food. Northwestern Indian food is also better-documented, but isn't that different from what we eat in the Northwest now. Well, they didn't have pasta, but that aside.

If I had a different personal diet, it would be fun to try to recreate what food historians believe is the likely actual composition of the hypothetical original Thanksgiving in 17th Century Cape Codd. This would include Indian Bread (cornbread), lots of oysters in different forms, and assorted small game. Also, apparently, fasting for 1-2 days before the feast, but I think we'd skip that part. I'd love it if someone on this Board wanted to try that; I'd even dig through my historical sources for recommended dishes.

All that aside, any recommendations on Mexican dishes, Amy?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:33 pm 

What a great idea, Fuzzy. Menu sounds delicious. I can't be of any help but I'm intrigued. Our menu will be the same I've had for over 70 years. Nothing inspired but traditional for our family.

fitzie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:47 pm 

I always wanted to do some kind of deconstructed Thanksgiving menu but fear being impaled by a turkey baster. Keep us informed!

Mary

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:02 pm 

I've always done the same basic thing -- Turkey/dressing/potatoes/gravy, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes, some other vegetable side, some type of bread or roll, and pumpkin pie. I change up what those exact items will be each year, though. My rule is that each dish should feature a food that is native to the Americas. For some reason, I always do my best work with guidelines, even if I set them myself.

The menu sounds awesome and I don't think you can get too many carbs in November. Of course, I feel the same way about duck fat, but whatever. I'd love to do an authentic first Thanksgiving. I think there is a re-enactment group that does one each year. I'd need to ease my family into it, though; my dad is still whining that I didn't include corn casserole this year.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:08 pm 

I've always wanted to have a corn casserole for Thanksgiving but in the crush I seem to forget it. Better make myself a note right away! Jes, do you have a to die for recipe?

fitzie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:09 pm 
Site Admin

All:

So, having browsed my way through Santabanez's first cookbook, as well as Bayless's Authentic Mexican, I'm now thinking of a modified menu:

App:
Queso Fundido

1st Course:
Hot Avocado Soup

Main Course:
Blackberry mole seafood enchiladas
Stewed nopales
Tomato Rice

Dessert:
Flan Impossble

I do hate to drop beans from the menu, since I can get Rancho Gordo beans at my local now, but it's way too much food otherwise. And this way, it's very different from anything folks could get in the Mexican restaurants up there.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:09 pm 

I once did a menu for a medieval feast where the first remove was old world, the second was new world and the third was new world foods in old world cookbooks. It was a blast. Alas, I don't really have access to the recipes at the moment.
However, one thing to include would be a "three sisters" dish of corn, beans and squash.

Last edited by BeckyH on Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:39 am 

Fuzzy,

I just posted my tastings from Santabanez's second book, the Taco book, and there is a delicious shrimp taco in there (though it looks like you have the shrimp covered already), plus a pico de gallo in which lemon juice is substituted for the lime juice usually found in this, and some lemon zest is added, which makes it totally different, and very good with the shrimp. Even though Mexico has a huge shoreline, and has a lot of seafood dishes, I don't usually cook many of them - I am usually into meat with Mexican, which doesn't help you. However, mushrooms are delicious in fillings for tortillas, and chipotles and other smoked peppers have a particular affinity to mushrooms, esp. stronger ones. And I remember a very good recipe in one of Bayless' books (I think? it's late...) that combined mushrooms and passillas.