Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: It's Thanksgiving Eve and
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:43 am 

JesBelle wrote:
It's nice to have my MIL cook, but I really want a turkey sandwich now.

Which is why I have always made Thanksgiving dinner at my house!! Leftovers! And they all get eaten.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:53 pm 

Did a dry-brined turkey this year for the first time -- very nice flavor and certainly saved room in the refrigerator. Otherwise, the classic list of stuffing, potatoes, peas, cranberry relish, and apple pie (only 4 of us since neither child could make it home).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:54 pm 

I made desserts for 25 at my BIL's house: coconut cream pie (CI), chocolate cream pie (CI), pumpkin pie (Libby's recipe off the can :shock: ), Ice cream cake (David Lebovitz' chocolate chip and coffee chip ice creams, with a killer chocolate cookie crust from a cheesecake recipe out of Gourmet or Bon Appetit), caramel sauce (DL) and chocolate fudge sauce (Alice Medrich), Seven Layer Bars (from TOBB), Pierre Herme flourless cookies, Pennies caramels, and extra whipped cream. Turkey was great and I was very proud of my ice cream creation. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:20 pm 

phoenix wrote:
I made desserts for 25 at my BIL's house: coconut cream pie (CI), chocolate cream pie (CI), pumpkin pie (Libby's recipe off the can :shock: ), Ice cream cake (David Lebovitz' chocolate chip and coffee chip ice creams, with a killer chocolate cookie crust from a cheesecake recipe out of Gourmet or Bon Appetit), caramel sauce (DL) and chocolate fudge sauce (Alice Medrich), Seven Layer Bars (from TOBB), Pierre Herme flourless cookies, Pennies caramels, and extra whipped cream. Turkey was great and I was very proud of my ice cream creation. :mrgreen:

WOW!!!!! You're amazing!!! The only thing you did wrong was not saving any for me. LOL

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:25 pm 
Site Admin

Folks,

Pics up: http://www.fuzzychef.org/archives/Non-T ... -2011.html

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:13 pm 

Nice menu and pics Fuz!

We went to Cape Cod to spend the few days with good friends. Dinner consisted of 9 people, 6 whom I'd never met, but after lots of good food and many bottles of wine, we became best friends :).

It was interesting to see the mix of traditions that all the folks brought from their regions: Cape Cod, Boston, Cinncinati, NY, Pasadena and general Mid-Atlantic areas. We had the tradional stuff: turkey, gravy, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, steamed string beans; and then it went regional. Only disappointment were the desserts which were store bought pies. I wanted to bake but timing didn't allow plus I was sick and not even sure until the last minute if I could make it.

A lovely day of giving thanks and sharing lots and lots of laughs. And hopefully memories.

Nance

Last edited by auntcy1 on Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:46 am 

Our meal was a great success. The spiced nuts are pretty damned amazing. I used some smoked Hungarian paprika mom brough back from a trip and it had quite a punch. The glazed bacon brought everything into balance though.
I had problems with under baked pie crusts. I used a different recipe and they browned before they were quite done inside. So after dinner I turned the pies upside-down on aluminum foil and re-baked them for a while.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:58 pm 

FUZZY - Thanks for the great photos, commentary, and recipes. The only part I didn't understand was the following:
Quote:
we were boozed enough
:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:59 pm 

Fuzzy, all I can say is Whoa! Sounds like everyone had a good meal. Happy belated Thanksgiving!
And Meryl, there's stuff left...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:28 pm 
Site Admin

Wino,

Well, Kris, who wasn't drinking, beat us in three games of Mexican Train in a row.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next